This discussion is archived
1 2 3 5 Previous Next 65 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2011 2:30 AM by shellster33 RSS

Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing. (updated)

hrana98 Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

Epic 4G Bug List - Please check your phones for these bugs. If you find them make sure you call Sprint support. If there are other bugs then please post it and how to recreate it. My hope is Sprint fixes these issues ASAP before the 30 days are up or I'm returning the 3 Epic 4G phones I have and going back to my original carrier.

1. GPS lock

How to recreate: Turn off phone. Turn back on. Use Google Maps and GPS lock will be acquired fairly quickly. Close Google Maps. Try running Google Maps some time later (1-3 hours later). The phone will not be able to get a GPS lock.

Sprint Support: They have you reset your phone which temporarily fixes the issue. If you retry Google Maps a few hours later the GPS lock will fail!

2. GPS Accuracy

How to recreate: Using the phone's built in GPSSetup or use an app like GPS Status. No matter what happens the accuracy is always reported to be 30 meters. The Anandtech review also noted this behavior. Looking at the source code for other Samsung phones this is something that can be fixed because it is an issue where the actual accuracy isn't reported.

3. No 4G when Wifi is running

How to recreate: Turn on WiFi, turn on 4G. The Epic 4G won't allow you to run both. The Evo 4G allows this behavior. The unfortunate problem is that the phone will not automatically switch from Sprint's data connection to WiFi without user intervention.

4. Audio routing issues in Fring, Nimbuzz, Sipdroid due to a Samsung API issue in the Kernel.

How to recreate: Install SIPdroid, Fring, CSIPSimple, Nimbuzz, or any other program from the Market that uses all the audio features on the phone (microphone, speaker phone, ear piece). Try making a Voice-over-IP call. All sound will the routed through the speaker phone but not the ear piece. Trying to switch in software between the speaker phone and ear piece only causes a change in volume but doesn't actually stop the audio from coming out of the speaker phone.

This is has been noted by many other people: http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/issues/detail?id=366

The Android community has identified this as an issue with the Audio driver in Samsung Android phones and has fixed it in some models:

http://forum.samdroid.net/f9/sipdroid-voip-i5700-problems-983/

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/android-2-1-development/fixing-the-moment%27s-audio-routing-%28so-we-can-use-sipetc!%29

We need this fixed on the Epic 4G.

5. 3G upload speed is capped at 150kbps.

How to recreate: Use any speed testing application or upload a file with a stopwatch. On 3G, the Epic 4G cannot upload faster than 150kpbs. Switching to Wifi or 4G allows normal speeds.

6. Twitter has trouble syncing and throws "Session Has Expired" messages every few hours.

How to recreate: Use the built-in Twitter Account function in the Epic 4G. Let it run for a few hours. A notification will pop up saying the Twitter session has expired. Tapping the message takes you to a login screen where you're required to re-enter your password. Also, on the syncing status page Twitter constantly shows a "sync is temporarily unavailable" message.

7. Business Cards with an extensive notes field or a semi-colon cannot be added into the contact list.

How to recreate: Create a business card with an extensive notes field and add special characters like a semi-colon to it. Try pushing it via bluetooth to the Epic 4G. The contact won't show up. Instead it'll be dumped into /sdcard/bluetooth/ as a .vcf file. The error reads "Failed to parse vCard for unexpected reason (Invalid line: "<text of the problem>").

8. Compass is highly inacurrate

How to recreate: Use GPS Status from the Market and walk around with the compass. It's very inaccurate compared to other Android phones.

9. Qik has problems with video quality. Probably related to the uploading issue over 3G.

How to recreate: Try sending a Qik video out over 3G. It ugly, blotchy, and next to worthless. I suspect this is due to the hampered uploading speed.

10. Sprint Navigation has trouble with software and hardware keyboard input on the Feedback page.

How to recreate: Go to Sprint Navigation. Pick to option to send Feedback. Using the non-Swype (turn Swype off in options) default Android software keyboard, numerical symbols act like the "shift key" is permanently pressed so numbers can never be input. If using the hardware keyboard, pushng the "shift key" or "function key" causes them to permanently lock-on and cannot be unselected. All text input after that is either in all caps or using special symbols.

11. Battery drain issue.

How to recreate: Leave the phone on 3G. Check the "searching for network" time on the phone. It has been discovered that the Epic 4G is searching for a GSM signal in the software even though it has no GSM radio. This drains the battery very quickly. The only work around is to pick Airplane mode which resets the radios. There is an extensive thread on the Sprint Community forums about this issue.

12. Call waiting

How to recreate: If you're on a phone call (Call A) and another call (Call B) comes in, then you can switch over to Call B. Once done, you can switch back to Call A without a problem. If another call (Call C) comes in during Call A then you switch over to Call C without a problem. However, when Call C ends the Flash/Swap button doesn't work so you can't get back to Call A. In other words, during a call you can only take one call via call waiting. If you take a second call then you can't switch back to the original call.

13. Facebook-originated events/birthdays cannot be removed from the integrated calendar even if the option to hide the Facebook calendar is picked.

How to recreate: Sync your Facebook account. Go into Calendar and turn off the display of Facebook events. Facebook birthdays will continue to display on the phone.

14. Bluetooth headset and Text-to-Speech don't work well together.

How to recreate: When a bluetooth headset is connected to the Epic 4G and you try to use the "Speech-to-text" microphone while typing a message, it does not recognize your voice. If you turn the bluetooth off, it works fine. The solution is making sure the Speech-to-Text ability is listening on the bluetooth headset for the user's voice.

15. Bluetooth can't be used to play back voicemails.

How to recreate: When a bluetooth headset is connected to the Epic 4G, voicemails playback won't be piped through the headset.

16. Sprint Network Signal Notifications can't be disabled

How to recreate: When the Epic 4G loses Sprint signal, the phone makes a fast beeping sound. It does this again when it regains signal. You can force the sound by updating the PRL and letting the phone restart the radio. There must be a choice to disable this notification without silencing the entire phone.

17. Home screen wallpaper resets randomly

How to recreate: Changing the home screen background to any built-in Live Wallpaper will eventually result in a reset to the default background. I haven't found any way to trigger this issue as of yet but it is very annoying.

18. Browser can't download files on a website protected with a password (basic authentication)

How to recreate: Setup a website and upload a few files. Add a basic username and password to the website. Browse to it using your Epic 4G. It will ask for you to enter the username and password. However, if you try to download any of the stored files then the Download Manager will say "Download Unsuccessful." It seems like the Epic 4G Download Manager doesn't properly pass cookie (basic authentication) data properly to the Download Manager.

19. Phone warming up and freeze problems

How to recreate: Use the phone to upload any large file over 3G. The phone will become unresponsive and will begin to heat up considerably. The battery will also drain very fast during this period of usage.

Other items (Nice-to-Have items):

1. No way to override bluetooth discovery timeout.

How to recreate: The phone's discovery times out in 120 seconds. There should be a way to allow us to leave it on even if it is a security hazard.

2. No FroYo update (Android 2.2)

How to recreate: No Android 2.2 upgrade exists for the Epic 4G yet. I'm hoping it comes out with all the above issues tested and fixed. Can we get a timelime for an upgrade?

3. The lack of individual signatures across email accounts.

How to recreate: You can only have one email signature across all your email accounts. If you have a work account and a personal account then you can't individually allow different signatures.

Message was edited by: hrana98 - Fixed formatting.

Message was edited by: hrana98 (More issues added)

• 1. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.
    s1d1vas Regular Visitor

hrana98 wrote:

1. GPS lock

How to recreate: Turn off phone. Turn back on. Use Google Maps and GPS lock will be acquired fairly quickly. Close Google Maps. Try running Google Maps some time later (1-3 hours later). The phone will not be able to get a GPS lock.

Sprint Support: They have you reset your phone which temporarily fixes the issue. If you retry Google Maps a few hours later the GPS lock will fail!

2. GPS Accuracy

How to recreate: Using the phone's built in GPSSetup or use an app like GPS Status. No matter what happens the accuracy is always reported to be 30 meters. The Anandtech review also noted this behavior. Looking at the source code for other Samsung phones this is something that can be fixed because it is an issue where the actual accuracy isn't reported.

to clarify GPS problem(s)

1) GPS lock issue. First you should test with wireless networks off. Wireless networks has no affect on GPS, it is not assisted GPS as some people think. It is tower triangulation. But if it is on you can get a tower position instead of GPS and think you GPS is working fine.

Although people conflate these methods as either can be used by Google Maps, they are two different location methods. Wireless networks method is not very accurate, and super inaccurate when moving in a vehicle. GPS which includes Autonomous/standalone GPS and Assisted GPS (aGPS) use completely different systems they use orbital satellites and are super accurate.

Also the G PS lock issue is more like 4 to 8 hours later. It can appear earlier but all Epics will have the problem in 8 hours. The cause has been diagnosed by users looking at the "assistance" aka "xtra" cache. The Epic doesn't get rid of this data as it should. Expiring Ephemeris every few hours.and almanac over couple of days. Some users don't see the problem but it has to do with behaviors such as turning the phone completely off and on, which removes cache, or leaving the GPS on full time.

As you correctly noted the Sprint support response of resetting the phone, or going into any diagnostic is a red herring one-time only fix as this resets the cache. So they tell you to do it, your GPS works --  until next time. A proper fix is needed. No other smartphone has this cache problem, although one model Samsung did have it last year.

2) GPS accuracy. You are correct there. There is a false accuracy built in. This is a minor problem.

3) Signal to noise ratio. The Epic has marginal to fair reception of GPS satellite signals. Acceptable, but observably less than most smartphones at that price point. This means that under poor conditions where other smartphones may have GPS working the Epic may not. This almost certainly cannot be fixed but is not fatal.

4) Occassional faure to get Wireless networks fix. Thsi ha been observed by several users. It is intermittent and exact cuase is not known.

• 2. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.
    smonioudis Regular Visitor

hrana98, you and me must be the only 2 people who care about these problems and notices them. how do ppl not see the call waiting problem and the problem with how **** slow my internet is? att's network was soo much better than this.  Also the major bug when closing programs through the program manager suckd too. it closes wichever program it wants , not the one you choose. I wish a samsung tech would actually read this and fix those problems.

• 3. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.
    SprintTheSlowNetwork Expert

I cant verify problems 1, 2, 5 and 9 on my own phone. I think if full of ***** that they would release a phone with so many bugs. And then put out useless updates to generate more income for Samsung. When they should be getting on them about updates to fix these problems

Message was edited by: Moderator

• 4. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.
    mmeyer1985 Newbie

Very well formatted list of known bugs/issues -- Thanks alot poster.

• 5. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.
    hrana98 Valued Member

@Salters88: Bugs 1, 2, 5, and 9 are the issues that everyone is complaining about across the internet so I'm not sure why you can't recreate them.

• 6. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.
    pandrg Newbie

the only major bug I am seeing is that the phone seems to want to automatically go back to the previous screen.

No matter what I am doing I will all of a sudden see the back button flicker and the phone vibrate and send me back to the previous screen.

this is really annoying when I am in the middle of typing something long or playing a game and am sent back. the frequency of this happening

has slowly increased over the past few days. thinking it was something I did so I have uninstalled all apps and still the problem continues. the phone can even be just setting on my desk not using it at all and I will hear it vibrate or see the button light up. might be going to try and exchange it this week.

anyone else seeing this problem?

• 7. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.
    richmattos6784 Regular Visitor

Just thought I would mention the multitouch surface does not work well when the phone is in debugging mode and connected via usb.  Sometimes, I cannot even unlock mine.

• 8. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.
    mwantuck Newbie

Another one to add is how the phone slows down when sending or uploading a photo.  This could be related to the 3G upload issue, or just a cpu management issue.  Samsung, let's start fixing the issues that we have brought to your attention, and worry about Media Hub later.

• 9. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.
    xxfivexx Newbie

How about they fix the PULSE NOTIFICATION LIGHT issue.

blinks 5 times ... then stops.

• 10. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.
    hrana98 Valued Member

I'm seeing post after post on the forum where people aren't searching. Most of the major problems are covered in my bug list. If you find more then tell me so I can update the message.

• 11. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing. (updated)
    Derek_T_A Newbie

I had an issue when playing back music.  Maybe it was just my Epic, but the music would make a popping sound every few minutes and it drove me insane.  I know I've seen another thread on it.

• 12. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing. (updated)
    irwinm Newbie

Problem: Stock email client does not download new messages from POP3 email accounts.

I have had to run all my pop3 email through Gmail, because every time I set up the POP3 account, it will work initially, but then just stop polling and receiving new messages, even after hitting refresh manually.  This replicates every time after some period of time (usually less than a day) after deleting and reinstalling the account.  I know the settings are correct as they work perfectly on my EVO and other devices.  There are numerous reports of others having the identical issue (including the "connection error" that appears even though a good Wifi signal is present and working on the internet browser).

This is unacceptable for the stock email client not to work correctly - I have found no solution for the problem other than to use Gmail or third-party clients like Maildroid or K9.  This needs to be addressed in a future update - at the very least in the Froyo update.

• 13. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing. (updated)
    LEEJIA Regular Visitor

Hey hrana98,

Great topic.  I don't know if the following count as bugs, but they are features I'd like to see soon:

- Sort contacts by Last Name (currently only sorted by first name)

- Ability to create group email distribution lists

- Ability to create group text distribution lists

- Would like to see entire text of calendar reminders appear, instead of the tiny notification icon in the upper left corner of the device

- Cut and paste available and accessible everywhere (worked great in Palm's WebOS)

• 14. Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing. (updated)
    woodbon Newbie

I didn't see this specifically mentioned but might be related to the know Epic 3G cap issue: with my Epic, I'm finding when I surf the web, I get 'Page not found' errors 25 to 50% of the time.  Sometimes the browser seems to give up trying to update...it is as if it thinks it is waiting on the socket service to call back, but this service never does.  I have to hit the back button and try to refresh that way.  It is quite annoying.  Related to this I think, I'll see times when an app is trying to reach a server and I'll get a network connection error popup with a retry button.  I can usually retry a few times and things will work again, but annoying nonetheless.  That happens about a quarter of the time!  One last possibly related issue...I see a lot of times that 4G kicks in, seems to work for a few seconds, then 'deactivates'.  Could be a network coverage issue of course.  I notice the 3G bars fluctuate quite a bit, from no bars to all bars, without moving my phone at all.  And Speedtest.net is all over the map...mostly crappy for 3G only as expected, but 4G is really good when I can get it.

Overall, if the net connnection for me was more reliable, I'd like this phone so much more...

1 2 3 5 Previous Next