This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2010 2:25 PM by wingland RSS

Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

Bat126 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I am discovering that my Epic 4g is having connectivity issues with bluetooth devices. In my car, a 2010 Jeep Liberty, it would conect with the call then the bluetooth connection would drop and I couldn't hear the caller or could they hear me but the phone said it was still connected. I rebooted my phone, it happened again. It took a bit but I finally got connected.

When I was at home, I used my bluetooth headset, and I had the same issue. Anyone else having bluetooth issues?

• 1. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    TazTahl Regular Visitor

Thank gosh I'm not alone.  I just posted this on another website... It's driving me crazy and want to know if I just need a hardware swap or if everyone has this issue. Here was my post:

Hey all,
    It's not a deal breaker but it certainly comes up a bunch.  I have 3  bluetooth devices that I hook up to my phone (Epic) for various needs  (car, working out etc...)  I have encountered almost daily where the  phone will say it's paired with the device and I'll hit play (even with  multiple apps) and I don't hear anything through the BT device.  I have  tested this with multiple audio apps and with all 3 of my devices and it  seems to happen whenever it wants.  I definitely think there are issues  with the bluetooth stack or something.  

While I don't expect a fix can anyone at least chime in and tell me they  have had unexpected bluetooth connectivity issues with their bluetooth  devices so I don't feel alone?

I will probably contact Sprint to see if it's a known issue if I hear  that a bunch of you have issues.  My brother has the same problem (also  Epic).

• 2. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    CRAZYHEAVEN Regular Visitor

My bluetooth device works fine.  All it does is answer calls though.  I could have a 2 or 3 hour conversation without anything going wrong.

I just wish I could call people from it.

• 3. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    TazTahl Regular Visitor

I think the issues we are talking about revolve around Stereo Bluetooth headsets where it says they are connected but no sound comes through.  Maybe this doesn't happen in non-stereo mode???

• 4. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    mmarx25 Newbie

I have the exact same problem with my Epic 4G.  Once connected, the bluetooth headset is usually stable.  However, after disconnecting from the call or listening to music, it usually won't connect again even though the bluetooth profile says the headset is connected and paired.  It is very unstable and I am really unhappy with the bluetooth performance of this phone.  I have 2 different bluetooth headsets and they both behave exactly the same.  Therefore, the problem is the phone, not the headset.  Also, this is my second phone and (replaced for a different reason).  Both of the phones did this.  So, the problem is obviously in the firmware or possibly a hardware defect which all Epics suffer from.

• 5. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    TazTahl Regular Visitor

I was just driving to work and I was on a phonecall through my car bluetooth setup.  I hung up the call and then hit play on slacker radio and got no sound... : (   Definitely a big deal.

• 6. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    Bat126 Regular Visitor

I noticed on my cars bluetooth stereo that everytime they sync, the address book gets downloaded to the car. afterthat occurs, it seems to work fine.

• 7. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    dawnbyrdcarter Newbie

I have had the same issues and when I called sprint they told me that they hadn't had any reports of this.  Did you find a fix or take the phone back?

• 8. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    MLANDAU1 Regular Visitor

My bluetooth works fine except when initiating a call, you cannot voice dial through a bluetooth, the speak app does not come up. Sprint says this will be fixed when 2.2 comes out for it

• 9. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    compcrash Valued Member

Bluetooth call functions are not supported till 2.2. All you can do is call last and hang up.  I have a Bluetooth Headset and it works fine I never had any issue with that. However with the Tahoe, it can connect and and work fin during a call but the problem is with the answer or hang up is when it won't let you. Since the Tahoe uses its own system to call I can call the set numbers. This isn't just a problem with the Epic, my brother's Droid (2.2) has the same issue. I have no idea what the problem is other than it is a issue with android and the Tahoe connection.

I been trying to solve this with the android device I have availible to me. It would be nice to know what the products you that you are trying to connect it to (brand and model), I can see if I can find anything that would solve these issues.

• 10. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    MLANDAU1 Regular Visitor

Im using an Epic with a Motorola HX1 bluetooth. I went into sprint today, I was told android 2.1 does not support bluetooth fully. Interestingly, it ISNT a 2.1 issue, My Samsung Moment has Android 2.1..Bluetooth works perfectly, including the voice dial. With all the law regarding the need for voice dial, this should have been resolved PRIOR to its release.

I like the Epic though, I bought it about when it first came out, I had bought the bluetooth a month or so before with using it with the EPIC in mind. When I went to the Sprint store, they talked me into buying the Epic early, I had to get a new line to do it at a reasonable cost or wait till january when I was eligible to upgrade. Now I cant use the headset. I tried a wired headset, it works but is very inconvenient. So, after paying several hundred for the EPIC, adding another line, trying a wired headset, I find myself putting it back in the box and now using the Moment again. It was a waste of money for now.

• 11. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    Tidbits808 Valued Member

MLANDAU1 wrote:

Im using an Epic with a Motorola HX1 bluetooth. I went into sprint today, I was told android 2.1 does not support bluetooth fully. Interestingly, it ISNT a 2.1 issue, My Samsung Moment has Android 2.1..Bluetooth works perfectly, including the voice dial. With all the law regarding the need for voice dial, this should have been resolved PRIOR to its release.

I like the Epic though, I bought it about when it first came out, I had bought the bluetooth a month or so before with using it with the EPIC in mind. When I went to the Sprint store, they talked me into buying the Epic early, I had to get a new line to do it at a reasonable cost or wait till january when I was eligible to upgrade. Now I cant use the headset. I tried a wired headset, it works but is very inconvenient. So, after paying several hundred for the EPIC, adding another line, trying a wired headset, I find myself putting it back in the box and now using the Moment again. It was a waste of money for now.

I can show you various documentation that it is a 2.1 issue.  Straight from Google, root community, and/or manufacturer if you wanted as well.  Google didn't implement voice dialing UNTIL 2.2 release natively.  You would need a 3rd party app to initiate voice.  I have had various Android devices including the Nexus One which DID NOT have voice dial until 2.2.

If the Moment had voice dial it wasn't native, and you probably used a 3rd party application preinstalled, or you downloaded.

• 12. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    MLANDAU1 Regular Visitor

If there was a third party app installed on the Moment it would have been installed by sprint or Samsung. When I got the bluetooth, I paired it and it worked 100% fine. It didnt come with any software nor did I download any software. Assuming then that either sprint or Samsung loaded "Something" why not load it on other devices? To sell a device which isnt funtional in a critical area is wrong, especially to sell it and not disclose it prior to purchase. If there IS a third party app out there someplace, I want it. For many people voice dialing is critical, some states require it, not having it disables use. This is why the EPIC ( which I think is a great phone), is a problem. BTW, I think Sprint may acknowledge this, they have told me I could swap it for  an EVO. I like that phone as well, however, it doesnt have a keyboard, it was a big factor in choosing the Epic, I have sites I need to be on which are form based, the EVO on screen keyboard covers the entire screen, you cant see the form while typing, also, there are situations, outdoors, where the sun pretty much wipes out the screen, with the keyboard, you can still type a message. The EVO simply doesnt work well for me. Like I said, the EPIC is a great phone, I do like it.

• 13. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    Tidbits808 Valued Member

MLANDAU1 wrote:

If there was a third party app installed on the Moment it would have been installed by sprint or Samsung. When I got the bluetooth, I paired it and it worked 100% fine. It didnt come with any software nor did I download any software. Assuming then that either sprint or Samsung loaded "Something" why not load it on other devices? To sell a device which isnt funtional in a critical area is wrong, especially to sell it and not disclose it prior to purchase. If there IS a third party app out there someplace, I want it. For many people voice dialing is critical, some states require it, not having it disables use. This is why the EPIC ( which I think is a great phone), is a problem. BTW, I think Sprint may acknowledge this, they have told me I could swap it for  an EVO. I like that phone as well, however, it doesnt have a keyboard, it was a big factor in choosing the Epic, I have sites I need to be on which are form based, the EVO on screen keyboard covers the entire screen, you cant see the form while typing, also, there are situations, outdoors, where the sun pretty much wipes out the screen, with the keyboard, you can still type a message. The EVO simply doesnt work well for me. Like I said, the EPIC is a great phone, I do like it.

Sorry no it wouldn't.  You are ASSUMING so.  Look at the Cliq (1.5) and the Droid(2.0) for example.  The Cliq had a 3rd party voice dialer, but the Droid did not have any sort installed.  There are other devices out there that are the same way between devices of the same manufacturer.  T-Mobile had nothing to do with it being installed.  It was a Blur addon and all blur devices have the same dialer, while Droid was pure vanilla android which is why it never came with Voice Dialer, and the same with the Nexus One.  Droid and Nexus One got voice dialing when 2.2 was released for those devices.

You could have done some research about the subject before buying the phone, before assuming every device out there had voice dial.  FYI not all devices have it even the lowly cheap devices out there.

If you want Voice dial that bad download a 3rd party dialer.  Most of them are FREE.

Message was edited by: Tidbits808

• 14. Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues
    MLANDAU1 Regular Visitor

Well, actually, I did do some research, when I went to sprint, I wasnt thinking of buying it till January, but they talked me into it, since I liked it. When I had bought the bluetooth, they also said it should work, in this case, with the EPIC, it was when they first came out, the Sprint store said it would work just like it did on the Moment. What ever software that WAS on it came with the phone, NOTHING was added, so, it had to come from Sprint. I was given bad information which I had relied on. BTW, apparently they knew this happened, they offered to exchange it with an EVO, but it has no keyboard.

I have looked for a third party app on the sprint store, I havent found one yet, maybe I will get lucky.

Samsung has a line of Bluetooth on their web site, they claim it is "Certified" to work with 2.1. Check it out...however, when you speak to them on the phone, as I did, they tell you it WONT work, not till 2.2 and they dont know or wont tell, when that will be.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points