This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2010 6:02 PM by ClaudiPo RSS

White list reversed.

Un8015023209 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have a messaging whitelist set up. I sent a text to one of the people on the whitelist last night and got a reply back that I had sent a message to one of the people in my blocked list. What's up with that?

I tested from another number that is on the white list and got the message they sent me, so incoming seems to be ok (and I haven't gotten any spam texts since I set up the whitelist. Yea!) but I do want to send the occassional outgoing text too....

• 1. Re: White list reversed.
    ClaudiPo Silver Expert

Have you tried resending the message and did you receive the same error again?  Maybe there was a glitch somewhere in the system.  Maybe removing and adding the number back to the white list will help?  Maybe recreating the entire white list?  I'd take the phone to a Store and show them the problem

or contact Customer Care to have them use their tools to look into it.

• 2. Re: White list reversed.
    Un8015023209 Newbie

> Have you tried resending the  message and did you receive the same error again? Maybe there was a  glitch somewhere in the system.

If so it is a persistent glitch. I've gotten the same error on two different number across 3 days.

> Maybe removing and adding the number  back to the white list will help?

Now the web page won't let me do this. The situation is getting worse, not better....

> Maybe recreating the entire white  list?

45 numbers... Ugh... That would be a last resort.

>I'd take the phone to a Store and show them the problem or contact Customer Care to have them use their tools to look into it.

Trying to find Customer Care is how I ended up in the forums. sprint.com seems to think that this is the first line of support. That seems a chancy move... Thanks for the link. I'll follow up there.

• 3. Re: White list reversed.
    ClaudiPo Silver Expert

Something is hosed.  I just tried to use the allowlist command on my phone (http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Block_or_allow_text_messages_from_your_phone/case-cx832318-20091103-160141).  I texted allowlist 9876543210 3214567890 6543219870 to 9999 (real PTNs).  I get a message back saying that I have no allowed senders/recipient, all text messages will be blocked. I should get SprintFreeMsg: 3 allowed sender/receivers: “9876543210” “3214567890” “6543219870."  Maybe my problem is also related to yours and there's just something broken.  I'll ask around internally.

• 4. Re: White list reversed.
    ClaudiPo Silver Expert

Okay, my problem was a user error, I didn't realize you had to individually allow each phone number and then use allowlist to make it the active list and get a summary of all phone numbers you set too allow.  Still checking on the other issue.

• 5. Re: White list reversed.
    Un8015023209 Newbie

It appears that numbers need to be entered without dashes for the whitelist to work. I used our paging system to test the incoming text, and it worked, but it is a 4 digit quick code, rather than a 10 digit phone number. When I got the numbers entered without dashes the two I have tried worked. I was able to both send and receive.

It was quite a journey to get the numbers fixed. I tried using the web page to delete and re-add them, but it wouldn't let me delete numbers, and the web page recognized that 801-555-1212 and 8015551212 are the same phone number, so it wouldn't let me re-add them without deleting the old one--catch 22.

So I tried phone support. That took several tries because some agents could hear me, but couldn't help me, while other agents couldn't help. Finally I got one who could both hear and help, and he retyped the numbers for me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points