13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2010 7:00 PM by Levi4u RSS

Samsung Transform for Sprint ID

wingland Sprint Admin
Currently Being Moderated

http://newsroom.sprint.com/images/9004/samsungtransform-fs.jpgDual cameras (front and rear for video conferencing!), slider keyboard, LED flash, 800mhz processor, 1500mah battery, stereo bluetooth, all wrapped up with Sprint ID goodness.  This is going to be a sweet phone.  Just what a lot of people have been asking for.   Engadget has a hands-on of the phone -- they call it the 'mini Epic'.

" it's got much the same build quality, and the exact same hinge and buzzy vibrator if you want to get specific. There aren't a lot of fancy functions on the keyboard, but it's arguably got an even better layout that caters to landscape touch-typists like us"

• 1. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    TMAXEY1 Regular Visitor

While I appreciate your excitment over the Transform I dont see how this phone is relevant in this generation of phones...

It has a lower resolution LCD screen than the moment had with the same recycled processor. The screen is the same as the previous generation iphone when all the Droid phones have double the resolution. Dont mean to sound negative but buying this phone is the equivelant to buying a standard definition tube tv today. You are agreeing to use 2 year old technology for the next 2 years.

Step it up Sprint. Stop pushing the recycled samsung garbage bin phones and carry more phones that have a shelf life.

Looking at this and looking at the G2, Droid 2, Vibrant, Evo, Incredible, any Galaxy S, Iphone 4, is just embarrassing.

What happened to the Intercept that just came out. Check the Moment and Intercept message boards and see how many happy customers Samsung has made with those 2 disaster.

What is any better in this phone? The price? You can pick up a Galaxy S from Verizon for free. Step it up sprint.

• 2. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    Gold Expert

While I do agree that the Samsung Transform is most assuredly not a phone that most geeks would ever get excited over, you have to remember who this phone is going to be marketed to: mid-to-low level Android users.  As such, the price point of $150 (or less) is the maximum starting point for such a phone.  Really, this phone (and similar ones like it) should never command any price over $100, let alone $150 considering the audience that they are trying to target.

So, with that said, the phone has decent (aka lousy for us geeks) specs...and at that price, the cost isn't all that bad.  Try comparing it to one of our less than stellar "state-of-the-art" iDEN phones, and your complaints should subside...though I suspect even our most pathetic iDEN will still outlast this phone in terms of longevity for the average end user.

• 3. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    chokaay Newbie
    What is any better in this phone? The price? You can pick up a Galaxy S from Verizon for free. Step it up sprint.

Can Sprint match Verizon's phone prices?  SURE!  But then how would they recoup that lost revenue?

An average Verizon customer pays $480 or more for their "free" phone over the period of your 24-month contract when compared with Sprint customers.  (Sprint on average costs $20/mo - $120/mo LESS than Verizon when comparing plans apples-to-apples.)  If Sprint were to sell customers handsets at the same price as Verizon... but then raised their monthly rates to Verizon levels, would you be happy?

No... I'd rather Sprint stay in business so I can continue paying $140/mo LESS ($1,680/yr LESS, $3,360/contract LESS) than an "almost equivalent" 5-lined plan from Verizon Wireless... and that's WITHOUT any corporate/school/NVP discounts from either Sprint or VZW! 

• 4. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    ThomasT626 Newbie

I was hoping Sprint would release a phone like this. I myself just switched from Verizon to Sprint after purchasing the Epic 4G. It's a fantastic phone (although I just had to get a replacement), but it'd also be nice not to have to pay the $10 premium fee per month, especially when I don't have 4G coverage in my area. Might've been nice to see a little higher end 3G only phone, but this one looks rock solid in itself and the front-facing camera is pure win (and something Verizon seems to keep forgetting with their phones). Don't know if I'll switch from the Epic to this or not, but I'm glad Sprint's releasing it, alongside Sprint iD as well.

• 5. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    NORSEDHEL Newbie

I agree. I am an ubergeek but don't want to pay the extra $10 a month for a 4g nor do I want the overlay on Android. I plan on getting this phone but will not be using the ID feature. My mother got an Iphone last month and is still trying to figure out the app store. I showed her the Home Base pack and she loves it. Take this phone for what it is and if it's not the latest, well it's good for my needs. You can pay the extra and keep your EVO.

• 6. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    MPERINA1 Regular Visitor

I'm liking it.  Upgraded from the 8350i.  Not liking the button placement...since I inadvertantly hit buttons while talking way too often for my liking.

So, that's fixed by getting a bluetooth...which drains the battery faster than it already does.

The ID packs are nice...but definetly need customization once you get them.  It's not a one-setup-fits-all kinda thing.

It's a shame that Sprint didn't launch a Dev Portal for folks to make suggestions for ID Packs.

Well, that and the ID downloads parse against the database that allows you to block charge-backs to your account via texts.  Silly...but it was probably the simplist parse point for them.

In all...not a bad deal.

• 7. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    GARRETTZ1 Expert
    Not liking the button placement...since I inadvertantly hit buttons while talking way too often for my liking. Not liking the button placement...since I inadvertantly hit buttons while talking way too often for my liking.

I was just trying this with my Transform, and confirmed it does have a proximity sensor. When the screen is shut off, the front buttons (menu/home/back/search) do not function. The prox sensor should be near the top of the phone by the speaker, so make sure you are covering this section with your ear or side of the face. If yours isn't working, that may be a potential hardware issue.

• 8. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    DANGLE_79 Regular Visitor

i think button in question are the side buttons for the power and camera etc, don't know if the prox affects those or not. you'd ideally it would disable all but the volume rocker

• 9. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    MPERINA1 Regular Visitor

Yeah, it's not so much the sensor.  That operates 90% of the time.  It's just that the 10% takes some really funny pictures.  Like Apple, the quick fix is to go buy the $10 case.  No issues since...though I'd suggest putting the beveled portion of the front case-half at the top.  It slides open easier.

Now I'm dealing with an OS hangup when trying to wake the phone up from sleep (push da button to lock) mode.  It's sporadic and only slightly irritating.  Battery out...battery in...turn on and wait a minute to use the phone.

I like it...no, I love the phone.  Quirks...and it may just be mine.  Let's wait and see as the forum goes on.

• 10. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    Ahnicka Valued Member

$10 case?  From where?

• 11. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    MPERINA1 Regular Visitor

Ok....

Returning the darned thing.  This one has finally got on my last nerve.

Trading out for the same phone.  So, let's see if my reviews get better and see if it was just a defective piece of junk I was lucky to receive.

It's a really great upgrade from the 8350i.  But, let's see how things go.

I'll start posting reviews after I get the new one loaded (AGAIN) with my stuff.

Oh, and if you haven't caught the news....

No, you can't get SprintID's on the Transform unless you disable the WiFi connection.  Another drawback to the Transform.

I'm really starting to wonder about the Product Team that put this sparkling piece of ____ on the market thinking the quirks were ok....

• 12. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    Levi4u Master

you can't get SprintID's on the Transform unless you disable the WiFi connection.

I don't think that is a bug, It's because they are stored on Sprint servers and in order to verify your a Sprint customer you need to be connected to their network, It's the same for the Sprint TV.

• 13. Re: Samsung Transform for Sprint ID
    MPERINA1 Regular Visitor

Didn't say it was a bug...just saying it's poor engineering.

It should work even WITH the WiFi enabled.  You shouldn't have to deactivate it.

You should still be connected to Sprint networks even with the WiFi enabled.  But, ya can't.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...