This discussion is archived
1 2 3 5 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2011 8:47 AM by christinetech Branched to a new discussion. RSS

HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF

Primare Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Premium data plan is a rip off.  We should not be charged for a 4G service that we cannot use.  I have the HTC Hero and HTC Evo phone and tested the network and I don't see any difference between the two phone.  Customer service says that the Evo network is superior than any non 4g phones.  that's full of Dookie. a credit of $10.00 should be applied every month to our account until 4g network is available.

• 1. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    Valued Member

i find that i get better 3g than with my other phone which was a blackberry 4g works in my area but they say its not here yet but i use it. the phone has a better signal to me

• 2. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

Every EVO owner knows that they are being ripped off by Sprint for this extra fee for the "rich data experience" that this phone is supposed to provide, that should not be any surprise by now. The phone does have the capability but is limited by the Sprint network. Sprint is also over-inflating their download speeds that they advertise on their website. By the test programs that I have used, my phone achieves maybe 150Kbps average download speeds in my coverage area. I also received a Sprint mailer where they are advertising 4G service in Hurst, TX. That too is false as there is not 4G service at the address where I received the mailer. Sprint also refuses to apply my 25% corporate discount to the line item add on for the Premium Data Fee even though in the past they have applied the discount to other add on items to my former plan. All that we can hope for is some form of class-action lawsuit to refund all the monies that Sprint customers have paid. I have already filed my complaints with the FCC and Texas State Attorney General.

• 3. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    Valued Member

the phone has a good signal to me  but the fee is stupid cause what the **** does everything data mean if we have to pay an extra fee?

• 4. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    Primare Regular Visitor

It seems as though Customer Service is reading and writing from a script that Sprint PCS Corporate Office sent them. Here's what they wrote back to me....

I understand your concern regarding HTC EVO 4G mandatory $10 fee. The
    $10 Premium Data Fee is not a charge for 4G service.   It is for a data
    rich experience with uncapped data usage in 4G areas.

It is important that you know that HTC EVO, offered exclusively through
    Sprint, provides an incredible multimedia experience unlike any other
    cell phone out there from any carrier. You can enjoy these data-rich
    capabilities for a $10 Premium Data Fee. The data experience of HTC EVO
    is to be enjoyed by all HTC EVO customers, regardless of 3G or 4G
    networks.

=======

Now... someone tell me or explain to me... how am is experiencing a "Data Rich Experience with uncapped data usage in 4G areas?" 

There's no 4G service in San Jose, California. My cousin's iPhone 4 data service is way faster than mine.  I was so embarrassed that my EVO  was slower than his.

• 5. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    geauxpokes Regular Visitor

I still have not found anything that this Evo phone can do at 32 kbs avg down and 100 kbs up. Network unavailable is not supposed to be a feature is it? The only answer I get from Sprint is there is no problem if I can send and receive phone calls.

• 6. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

geauxpokes:

That is basically the same reply that I have received from Sprint when reporting network issues or programs that don't fully perform. All Sprint is required to provide is the cellular connection and for the most part they do that, regardless of the signal strength or quality of that connection. If any of the other phone features or functions work, then that is a bonus and good for you if and when they do work, but if they don't work, Sprint is not responsible and does not have to provide any support or service for those non-working or poorly performing features or programs. But if you do go to one of their service centers, their only remedy is a hard reset to your phone. You're under contract and must be content with what you have and continue to pay Sprint monthly as you agreed to when you signed up for their service.

• 7. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    VTMA1971 Regular Visitor

It is about time someone has sue Sprint and their rip off plan.  I was looking for a new phone recently and talked to a rep about the HTC EVO.  She told me their an additional $10 fee for the 4g capabilities.  I told her I live in a 3g network and why do I have to pay for 4g capabilities.  She told me it is like paying for first class.  I told her if I was flying coach why would I have to pay for first class.  She continued to explain about all the special features I would get with the phone.  If there was 4g where I live I wouldn't mind paying the extra $10 per month.  I have been a loyal Sprint customer for over 13 years.  I have never been so disappointed in my life.  It is just plain robbery.

Imagine this:  If I was driving a honda accord, which has the capabilities to use Super-Premium gas.  Are the gas stations going to charge me Super-premium price for regular unlead gasoline?

Anyways, I doubt I will be with them much longer.  Sprint, you guys need to listen to your loyal customers before you lose them all.

• 8. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    HEAVYBLOW Regular Visitor

I don't know.  I don't want to defend Sprint, but why did you guys even buy a 4G phone when there's no 4G in your network?  Couldn't you wait?

It seems like the predicament you are in is one of your own making.

• 9. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    boe_d Bronze Expert

heavyblow1 wrote:

I don't know.  I don't want to defend Sprint, but why did you guys even buy a 4G phone when there's no 4G in your network?  Couldn't you wait?

It seems like the predicament you are in is one of your own making.

I can understand why people would do this.   Sprint has been releasing terribly outdated phones and selecting some really bad ones for their lineup.   THe EVO (despite the bad USB connector and loose screen) is one of the better ones they've had in a VERY long time and it has a very large screen which is very helpful for people over 40.   The downside is that Sprint is forcing people out of their old plans to get one of their only phones with current technology.   They are also requiring a $10 fee to get 4G service.  Now they can tell you it isn't for 4G service, they are insisting people will use more internet service.   So even though you are not gettin 4G service and other internet providers are giving you 10x the speed such as cable companies, FIOS, DSL etc than they were a few years ago, Sprint is insisting because it has a bigger screen you'll use more internet service even if you aren't in a 4G area.   Thank goodness my cable company doesn't know I have a 65" HDTV at home - otherwise they'd up my rates since I have a bigger screen.

From what I've heard from reps and read on the web, Sprint will slowly be moving all of their new phones to this scheme.   How long should people with aging eyes have to wait before they can get a phone that is easy to read and has adequate features? 

Sprint is once again shooting itself in the foot.  They are going to wobble and fall on their remaining stumps soon.  Their quarterly losses should be posted in a few days.   Like everything there is Ying and Yang.  ATT and Verizon have both GAINED many customers so it isn't the economy that is killing Sprint - Sprint is commiting suicide.

• 10. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    VTMA1971 Regular Visitor

I haven't bought the HTC EVO phone because of this $10 fee per month.  Let me ask you a question, would you buy a HD TV if your cable provider didn't offer HD in your area?  Yes, you would.  Now remember your cable provider doesn't have HD in your area, would they still charge you HD premium package just because your TV is HD capable?

• 11. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    Primare Regular Visitor

I like to have new phones when it comes out.  My previous phone the HTC Touch Pro 2 was a piece of C%#!. I like the functionality of the EVO and features.  There are no other phones that Sprint carries that are to my liking other than the EVO.  So far, the EVO is great, except the extra $10.00 I have to pay for something I can't use.  I'll go online surf the web from time to time but that isn't the main reason why I purchased this phone. I played with the Samsung EPIC, not close to my liking.  and that too is a 4G phone.  Tell me a 3G phone that has the functionality as the EVO??  Sprint doesn't have any.

• 12. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    Primare Regular Visitor

I would still buy an HDTV even if my cable provider doesn't offer HD.  there are other contents that will give me the the features my TV provides like a BluRay payer, PS3, if you have a BluRay camcorder,

• 13. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    Primare Regular Visitor

I hope that Sprint gets enough complaints that they will take the $10 premium data plan off.

• 14. Re: HTC EVO PREMIUM PLAN A RIP OFF
    Primare Regular Visitor

All the contents will work with the HDTV, but I don't have to pay for a monthly payment.  So Sprint shouldn't charge for something we don't use.

1 2 3 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...