This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2010 11:23 PM by Mr.Android RSS

Why not an HTC phone with a SIM card?

mamadonna54 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I've been a Sprint customer for 10+ years have been loyal even though there have been problems.  Last year I got the HTC Hero.  Had nothing but problems with it.  After 1 week, Sprint told me to send it in for a replacement as there was some internal application problem.  The replacement phone they sent was a refurbished phone!  I paid almost $200 plus tax with a 2 year contract extension for a brand new phone and Sprint sent me a refurbished phone.  I asked them why they sent me a refurbished phone and was told that was their policy.  Didn't seem to matter that less than a month prior, I shelled out all that cash for this little piece of technology.  That was the the number issue.  The replacement phone didn't work much better.  I kept losing the Google file connection for the Droid OS.  I personally finally figured out (after countless calls to Sprint Tech Dept) that every time I turned off my phone, the Google file connection would get dropped.  I would have to do a factory reset which as anyone who's had to do one knows is a total pain.  I spent probably 100 hours programming and reprogramming the phone over the course of some months.  The multiple people that I dealt with at Sprint, didn't seem to care too much.  They offered me a cheaper phone in order to shut me up which I flatly refused.  But that was about the extent of their generous offer.  But, see, when the phone worked, I really liked all the functionality. I didn't want a different kind of phone.   Finally the upgrade was approved and released by Sprint that fixed this problem and now I'm much more happy with the phone.  Well, with one exception.  I know for a fact that the European HTC model (the one that the US version as patterned from) has a SIM card - so can be used internationally.  The US version doesn't have a SIM card.  Probably wouldn't have had all the problems with the phone if it did.  But even the new HTC EVO 4G doesn't have a SIM card.  I really like the droid phones, but it makes it so inconvenient that I either have to plan ahead and get a rental phone when in Europe or just make all my personal calls on my work mobile.  Not something I care to do even domestically. 

I talked with a rep at HTC and was told that the Sprint specs called for no SIM cards.  So this was an intentional design by Sprint. 
COME ON, SPRINT.  This is the phone that you advertise so heavily.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to advertise it as internationally compatible?   These are expensive phones that are supposed to be used anywhere.  I hate it when I have to leave it at home because it's totally worthless to me in Europe.  I realize that Sprint does offer a handful of internationally compatible phones - however, I'm not impressed with any of them.

iPhones offer prepaid SIM cards.  Other cell phone companies offer similar options for their 'better' phones.   Why not Sprint HTC phones?????

And one more beef.....Why charge an extra $10 a month for the HTC EVO so the phone can have access to 3G network.  What a rip off!

• 1. Re: Why not an HTC phone with a SIM card?
    Mr.Android Newbie

Sprint uses a CDMA network, which is why there arent SIM cards in most Sprint Phones. AT&T uses a GSM network which is why it has SIM cards. The only sprint phones that can uses SIM cards are Sprint's world phones b/c they are designed to work on the CDMA network when at home, but use a SIM card when traveling overseas. CDMA networks, such as Sprint & Verizon, don't use SIM cards, GSM networks, such as AT&T & T-Mobile use SIM cards, so that is why none of Sprint's HTC phones use SIM cards, none of the HTC phones at Sprint are world phones, and since Sprint is a CDMA network the SIM card just won't work. If use of a SIM is very important to you, you may want to research AT&T or T-Mobile and see if they are for you.

• 2. Re: Why not an HTC phone with a SIM card?
    mamadonna54 Newbie

Thanks for the response.  I'm aware of why Sprint doesn't have an HTC phone with a SIM card.  Believe me, I've researched this enough and talked to other phone companies.
    What I'm really saying is why doesn't Sprint use different technology to allow phones with SIM cards?  It's not uncommon for business travelers to want to take their personal mobile devices with them.  Sprint does have some phones that are internationally compatible and even advertise them as such on the web page Shop link so some of the technology is in place.

I've been a Sprint customer for well over 10 years.  I've thought about switching just so I can have a good phone (now would want a droid) with a SIM card or international compatibility, but I still have a year on my contract.  So in the meantime, I have to work around a phone that does not allow any type of activity while in Europe.  None, nill, nada, zilch!

• 3. Re: Why not an HTC phone with a SIM card?
    Mr.Android Newbie

Oh now I understand, yea its pretty wack that they don't just do it for all phones, I wish they did too lol.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...