This discussion is archived
1 2 3 6 Previous Next 76 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2011 4:08 AM by davidg1000 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random

TimPezz Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

What about if the phone power cycles when you're not using the camera?

I've had two Evos at this point.  The first one started power cycling non stop until the battery drained about 2 weeks ago.  Then I got a replacement and it does the same thing.  What's going on here? 

It happens when I'm playing angry birds.

It happens when I'm on the internet.

It happens when I'm looking at google maps.

It happens when I'm turning the phone on.

It happens when I'm in the middle of texting someone.

It happens when I'm in the middle of a phone call.

It's enough to make me want to leave Sprint if it's not fixable.

• 1. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    wingland Sprint Admin

Tom - I moved your post to a new thread.

I'd suggest returning the phone again - and on the new one watch what applications you install.  If it starts happening after you install a certain app, then there may be a problem with that app.

I haven't heard of this being a widespread problem.

• 2. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    CBROWN16 Regular Visitor

is it any truth to an update in the works to address this issue because i have the same exact problem and have went through all the same bs. im on my second evo and after my umpteenth trip to the sprint store, this is what i was told.

• 3. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    trangers77 Sprint Employee

I apologize about the issues that you are running into. I recently purchased an EVO and I love it. I have not ran into the issues that you are running into, but I only have a few downloads on my device. Like my Hero I had before the EVO, I had to perform a process of elimination. Whenever my phone was acting up, I would uninstall the most recent app then go from there. If it was the last app I downloaded that made my device act up, I would look for another app that did the same thing that would not cause issues with my phone. Do you have the most current sw on your device? You should have sw version 3.30.651.3. If you do not then go to menu, settings, system updates, then select HTC software update.

• 4. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    CBROWN16 Regular Visitor

well, ive did the factory reset where you hold down the volume rocker and have been vanilla for about a week.  havent downloaded any apps and the phone is up to date as far as software is concerned.  as of this very sec, as im typing this reply, my phone is stuck in that random reboot cycle where it never passes the htc evo 4g screen.

• 5. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random

what I would do is return the device to a repair store and have it looked at.

• 6. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    TimPezz Regular Visitor

It's not any of the installed apps.  It started doing it on the "new" one they gave me.  The fix the provided is for phones bought after November 1st.  If you're having the same problem as me, I suggest calling and complaining.  They will take money off your bill.  When this semester is over, if I can't get them to take care of this during Holiday break, I'm leaving Sprint.

• 7. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random

Again, I do apologize about your issues.I have not seen or heard of this issue with this device or heard of an issue with devices sold before or after Novemeber 1. This is not a know issue with the device either.I would suggest after all the sw updates, and hard resets that you take the device to a corporate repair store not a third party store to have the device looked at. Again I do apologize about your issue.

• 8. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    TimPezz Regular Visitor

When I spoke w/ the Sprint tech over chat (because I couldn't use my phone), I was told it WAS a known issue and they were working on a fix.  I was then told a fix was available but it was unavailable for my phone (it was only available for phones sold after November 1st - I was actually made aware of it through a thread on this message board).  I now have no choice but to go and waste time at a Sprint tech store (again - for a second Evo) because now this one won't even start up.  Should I not be given a phone that properly works, I will be leaving Sprint. 

• 9. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    TimPezz Regular Visitor

Just so we're clear, this is the message that was sent to my inbox: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/233084#233084 informing of the available fix to update the phone to 3.30.651.3.  However there was a caveat found on this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/49134?tstart=0  It said this:

Sofware  version 3.30.651.3 is not required for all EVOs and will not be  distributed to those not utilizing the new manufacturer's part.  If your  device was purchased previous to November and is on version 3.29.651.5,  your software is considered current.

So the fix is unavailable for my phone.  Now when I went and got the replacement, I was given a refurbed Evo and it had the same issue. It's not an app because it was happening before I even installed an app on my phone. I'm going to call the company today and see what they can offer me.

• 10. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    dastuff3 Newbie

I bought my EVO on the realease date and I love it. Mine started power cycling a couple weeks ago. It seems like it only does it when the battery gets warm like if I'm on the web for a while or streaming radio. I have reset and it doesn't make a difference if I have aps in it or not. It's very dissapointing.

• 11. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    TimPezz Regular Visitor

It's an awesome phone...when you can use it.

• 12. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    Levi4u Master

Google is your friend, I've seen it reported many times on many different forums and Sprint's facebook. I wish Sprint had you techs utilize google to see exactly what issues your customers are having as not many do visit this forum and I'm sure that the stores and call centers have seen this issue more times then they care to admit. There is nothing worse then calling a company on a well documented issue only to be told this is the first they've heard of it. It's not just Sprint, But most companys. I have been pushing for companys to go outside their little scripted box and use the internet to get real world experiences and reports as to what is really happening.

• 13. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    dastuff3 Newbie

Yeah, I've had enough of it. I just got off the phone with sprint and they are sending me another one. I have the protection plan, although I don't think you should have to have it for a replacement within the first year but whatever. I will have a new one next week. I'm going to cross my fingers that the next one doesn't do this.

My wife and Daughter have blackberries that had the same problem a couple months ago and I was making fun of them. I guess karma got me on that.

• 14. Re: HTC EVO - Power Cycling at random
    dshoem01 Gold Expert

I've forwarded this thread to the device operations team to ensure they're aware of the problem.  It looks like most of you have reported the problem to Care or a Retail store...if you haven't, please do so.

1 2 3 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...