This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2010 12:42 PM by Spork947 RSS

Prepaid cheaper (but better) plans. When will Sprint catch up?

Spork947 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I am now a premier customer. I've been with sprint for a very long time. Anyway I picked up a hero about 6 months ago and its one of the worst phones I've ever owned. Unfortunately with sprint they have a high mark up on phones to get people in a contract for a "discount". So I can't cancel without a fee and I'm not going to pay full price for a better phone. That leaves me to buy a used phone from ebay as my only choice.

Ok now for the real question. I want to get by really cheap from now on. Having internet access on a phone is not a necessity for me. So I start exploring plans offered by sprint and looking around at other places. I could probably get by with 300 minutes for $30 with $5 text. My gf uses virgin mobile and even paid the cancellation fee to be free of at&t.  For $25 they have 300 minutes with unlimited txt and web. Isn't this company owned by sprint? So why are we not seeing better deals like this? Straight talks offers a plan with unlimited everything for 45 bucks. You can also get a nice phone for vastly cheaper than through sprint.

At this point I am very tempted to cancel. Are there any better plans coming up for sprint?  I would be very happy on something with 300 minutes and unlimited txts for 30 bucks. Then again if I switch another company may jack prices and find a way to force me into a more expensive plan.

• 1. Re: Prepaid cheaper (but better) plans. When will Sprint catch up?
    ClaudiPo Silver Expert

Thank you for your post.  Unfortunately, we cannot disclose any information about upcoming plan releases even if we knew about them.  Most of the time, Sprint employees working on new product launches are under NDA.

• 2. Re: Prepaid cheaper (but better) plans. When will Sprint catch up?
    JOMSTONE16K Newbie

This has just come to my attention, as well.

A co-worker walked in to show me his new Samsung Intercept that he picked-up at Best Buy.  He's on a Virgin Moble pre-paid plan with 1200 anytime minutes and unlimited Data for about $40/month.

I have the same phone, but am on contract with sprint.  I have 450 anytime minutes, unlimited data and I'm paying $80/month?! (This is besides the fact that the salesperson who signed me up told me I'd be paying $67 with my universtiy discount and that my minutes were unlimited as well.)

I've never felt like Sprint has cared much about me, but now it almost appears that defrauding their customers is business as usual.  Next year our taxes will probably be bailing them out of bankruptcy while they are declared too big to fail.  (Sorry, i'm angry about feeling ripped off)

I'm not sure what steps I'm taking from here.

• 3. Re: Prepaid cheaper (but better) plans. When will Sprint catch up?
    Spork947 Regular Visitor

As I said the weirdest part of it all is that sprint owns virgin mobile. I guess I would still have to cancel to get transferred over to one of those plans?

I did some reading on here and I think it was mentioned that part of the reason for a higher monthly bill is that you have the free roaming with sprint where as with virgin you can only use in a sprint coverage area but its hard to believe that would make a plan double in price compared to the prepaid?

I haven't been paying attention to the details of my bill but it does vary some even though I don't go over minutes. Once my ebay phone shows up I'm dropping and blocking the net. I apologize if I seem upset but I was wrapped into a contract for a phone that barely fucntions(no its not defective). If you check reviews for any type of phone the most reliable are the basic flip phone. I can actually text faster on them than my hero because its so laggy.

• 4. Re: Prepaid cheaper (but better) plans. When will Sprint catch up?
    JOMSTONE16K Newbie

Yes. It's hard for me to understand paying $480/year more than my colleague who seems to have nearly identical service.  It was already frustrating to not see the University discount applied after being told it would, and being verbally quoted a monthly charge that was $15/month cheaper than what they actually are charging me.

I like the slide-out qwerty keyboard, camera/audio, and GPS of the unit... but I I'm not sure I can afford the service in the longterm.

short-term:  negotiate a package that seems a little more reasonable, and see what other service providers have to offer.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points