5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2010 5:24 PM by tomdeaver RSS

Samsung Restore Firmware Update

Madrock22 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I just updated my Samsung Restore's (SPH-M570) firmware last night(11/25/10).  It reset my Sprint One Click Carousel.  I did not have a problem with this until I realized I could remove tiles, but not add tiles.  Now I can't use my favorite tile, Favorite Contacts, due to this update.  I looked all over the internet for help, no help was successful.  I tried updating the PRL and it said my device must reset the radio.

I don't have a data plan.  Do I need a data plan now to add tiles to my carousel?  I was able add tiles to my carousel about a week or so before I updated my firmware(I didn't try within a week but I'm sure I could have), now I can't.  I can't find anything that helps, all that happens when I try to add tiles is that it says "Connecting(for a minute or so)... Could not install (name of tile) Tile".

Please help, I desire the use of my tiles once again -Without resetting my phone-.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Samsung Restore Firmware Update
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Hello. You do need data access to see all available tiles for your carousel. I found this from the manual, pg 44.

Note:

Tile categories and available tiles are continually being

updated, and there are dozens of tiles to choose from.

The following table shows a sampling of the default tiles

that may be preloaded on your phone.

You only have a predefined number of tiles preloaded to you phone. To get more, you have to be connected to the internet to see the catalog. If you're not on an everything data plan which is sounds like you're not, you can add data access as an attachable and remove it when you're done getting what you need.

• 2. Re: Samsung Restore Firmware Update
    Madrock22 Newbie

Okay, but how come I used to be able to use Tiles like 'Favorite Contacts' and now I can't?  Would I be able to put it on my phone if I hooked it up with the computer?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Samsung Restore Firmware Update

This content, the tiles for your Sprint one-click carousel, can only be downloaded from a compatible phn like the Samsung Restore, because these phns have an embedded URL that's part OF the carousel so it knows where to go on the internet and get new tiles. There's simply no other way to get this type of content. Could it have been that when you first activated the phn, your data WAS active. Or have I misunderstood when you said you don't have a data plan, that your data IS active but you have a casual data plan. Can you connect to the web?

• 4. Re: Samsung Restore Firmware Update
    Madrock22 Newbie

No, I can't connect to the web, my internet was blocked.  I didn't want to change my bill from less than $100/month to accidentally over $1,000/month.  When I first got my phone I had the internet blocked through Sprint.  I didn't block it from my phone or on the internet.  Then I was playing around with it and I added tiles.  Now that I updated my phone, my favorite tiles were removed and set to default.  Now I still don't have internet access(I didn't before either).  I do not, and never had internet available on my phone.  After the update, my phone can't add tiles anymore.  If I unblock the internet on my phone(Without having a data plan) and try adding the tiles, will I be able to?  If I connect it to my computer(Which has internet access), will I be able to add the tiles too because it can connect to the internet using my computer?  Again, I never have, and still don't, have a data plan or data available on my phone.  Thanks!

• 5. Re: Samsung Restore Firmware Update

Hello again. Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions. In short, you WILL need the internet on your phn to customize and get what you need and then it can be blocked again.  There simply isn't a way to use a computer to do this. For one, we wouldn't know what the URL actually is to go and get these tiles as it's embedded in the carousel application. And second, even if you can connect your phn to a computer for pics and music transfer, the folder for the carousel application could not be seen this way, meaning, there would be no way to transfer it to your phn even if you could get it on your computer.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points