This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2011 6:53 PM by Adam_Davis RSS

What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?

yzguy1 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

According to recent "public" reports, sprint is dumping nextel with an anticipated date of 2013........Allegedly, sprint will offer a like and similiar function on their phones.  Will they have the same product ability as Verizon does with their "push to talk" Blackberry 9650?

• 1. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?
    country6925 Regular Visitor

Supposedly. I'll be honest, I'm not hopeful that this "Q-chat 2" will be as good as Nextel iDEN. They've tried for years to get it right and so far haven't. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I sure as heck would not be announcing the shutoff of iDEN until I knew for certain that its replacement would work as well as the original. Q-chat was supposed to be that replacement, but was a dismal failure. I don't see this "new" CDMA PTT being any better.

• 2. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?
    Gold Expert

country6925 wrote:

Supposedly. I'll be honest, I'm not hopeful that this "Q-chat 2" will be as good as Nextel iDEN. They've tried for years to get it right and so far haven't. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, butI sure as heck would not be announcing the shutoff of iDEN until I knew for certain that its replacement would work as well as the original. Q-chat was supposed to be that replacement, but was a dismal failure. I don't see this "new" CDMA PTT being any better.

I took the liberty of highlighting in blue what I thought was the most important part of your post.  I totally agree.  If Sprint made their announcement, stating that their new technology is a vast improvement over the current Q-chat, that it incorporates and works as well as current features on iDEN, let alone improves upon those iDEN features (i.e., speed, ease of connectivity, etc.), then it MIGHT be worth waiting around for to see.

But instead, Sprint announces that they'll start to shut off iDEN in 2013.  They also claim that they'll be launching a "new" phone for us iDEN folks to adopt in Q3 of 2011 which will run on CDMA and will deliver the benefits of this new "Network Vision" idea.  Um...so let's see...current iDEN folks (and Q-chat CDMA users) have to wait at least another year to see what this phone looks like...hmmm.  More importantly, what is this "Network Vision" anyway?  No where does any Sprint rep even mention what "Network Vision" is.  They mention it, but they never tell us what it is.  Is this a new way to design/upgrade the CDMA/iDEN/WiMAX networks?  We know Sprint won't bother expanding iDEN, but will it at least allow Sprint to expand their native CDMA network?

The overall issues are that Sprint tells us publically that they'll shut off iDEN beginning in 2013...but they don't offer anything of substance to keep current iDEN users from having a near corninary.  As we know, Q-chat was vastly overhyped...and it did work...but at a SERIOUSLY MAJOR price...it was a bandwidth hog.  Now, unless this "Network Vision" will allow users to be able to use PTT (and I hope that Sprint doesn't refer to it as "walkie talkie") even when regular voice calls are unable to go through (like Nextel phones were able to do during 9-11, let alone countless hurricanes), then iDEN customers can probably begin to relax.

The bottom line though is this:

1. What will be the real replacement for iDEN's packet-switched PTT network?

2. Will the new PTT service operate as seamlessly as current iDEN PTT service does?

3. Will the new PTT service cost more than it does today?

4. Will the new PTT service work in times when network traffic prohibits regular phone calls?

5. Will any of these "new" phones allow the end user to use the PTT capabilities OFF-NETWORK?!?

Until at least those 5 points are answered, I doubt Sprint will convince any of the remaining 12M iDEN users to stick around come 2013.

• 3. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?
    Adam_Davis Regular Visitor

I wouldnt hold your breath>>>> As history would have it, there is no acutal successful successor to PTT given that the networks are so different in their design it doesn't look or for that matter feel like its going to be successful.  But we could be surprised and Sprint could have gotten it right this time.

• 4. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?
    CaptPuget Expert

Weird.  Just today I got a big, fat brochure from Sprint that featured a lot of Nextel stuff.

• 5. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?
    Gold Expert

CaptPuget wrote:

Weird.  Just today I got a big, fat brochure from Sprint that featured a lot of Nextel stuff.

Nextel stuff?!?  What kind of Nextel stuff, if you don't mind me asking?

• 6. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?
    SprintChirpin Valued Member

Sprint needs to just keep Nextel,you cant beat Nextel`s Direct Connect.  Sprint needs to get back to advertising and promoting Nextel brand and work on letting Nextel improve.  Keep making phones like the I1,and Blackberry 8350i because there is a market for these phones on Nextel.

• 7. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?

While most of us agree with you, again Sprint has other plans  for the spektrum that iDEN now resides on. There is a facebook page that was setup for all of us to join that is building ever so slowly, we figured there would be more Nextel fans flocking over there to show your support but sadly 3 regulars from here have joined....   This page was designed to show someone like NII and SouthernLINC that we LOVE our Nextel PTT and want someone to rescue us from Sprint Erasing us from the Network!! The page if you are interested in it is called if you search for us is: savingnextelfromsprint.  Come on over and give us a look over or two.

• 8. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?
    uninventiveheart Valued Member

It's not so much of an affront on Nextel, but that the iDEN network has no clear path to upgrade to ITU-4G specifications (1000MB stationary, 100MB mobile DL speeds, 100% IP-based comm... but to be fair, WiMAX 2 meets that spec., NOT WiMAX.) and the spectrum used on Nextel's network would be a huge asset for Sprint to sell off as phone companies move to OFDM-based communication standards (LTE, WiMAX, etc.) that more efficiently use less spectrum in return for higher bandwidth.

The same thing could be said about 3G, which may have the same expiration date by no coincidence: both ITU-4G capability and the coming spectrum fire sale could be applied to CDMA as well.  Sprint still is boast-biting about their 3G PTT plans, but if it's based on Q-Chat, it's all smoke and mirrors, even now.  http://seekingalpha.com/article/230646-can-new-push-to-talk-initiative-double-sprints-stock

I don't think there is going to be a suitable replacement to iDEN that does all that it can.  Businesses who depend on PTT devices for a small-proximity area may be better served by Business Band deployment(at this point, may as well take the leap to narrowband, since it'll be mandatory in 2013), or use MURS/GMRS instead; except for the base station, the individual radio units cost as much as a PTT cellphone that's unsubsidized would anyway.  As for Direct Connect, there is no real replacement for it... I doubt CDMA phones will be allowed to operate outside of tower control enough for any replacement initiative of Direct Connect to work.  Any WiMAX based replacement standard of Direct Connect would depend on the Internet by default: No network, no service.

• 9. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?

I think if Sprint would have made upgrades to the network eariler than now or near post merger the network wouldn't be so costly to upgrage and there is a good posibility that WiMAX would already be here and we would be ready for WiMAX2 and LTE speeds on the iDEN network.

• 10. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?
    MIGUELOPEZJR Regular Visitor

I would love if they made the service IP based as opposed to network based. Perhaps even 1xRTT as opposed to 3G because even today 3G is not available everywhere 1XRTT is available and there is enough bandwidth for half-duplex voice and even more advanced features like status (available, DND, meeting, etc), and media delivery (much like direct picture today and even small videos). You don't want calls to come through when you are in a PTT call perhaps a CW notification. Also making it not network based would allow PTT to be available by a simple app that can be made available to every phone that can run java apps.

I believe that there is life after iDEN... it is all about execution (no pun intended). I am willing to give Sprint the benefit of the doubt. Doing the right thing is actually important for Sprint's bottom line, regardless of what any of us say on here there is no escaping that fact. Sprint, don't shoot yourself on the foot again, this can be a very lucrative move if you do it right or it can blow up in your face...

• 11. Re: What is sprint going to offer nextel customers since they are getting rid of the nextel product?

MIGUELOPEZJR wrote:

I would love if they made the service IP based as opposed to network based. Perhaps even 1xRTT as opposed to 3G because even today 3G is not available everywhere 1XRTT is available and there is enough bandwidth for half-duplex voice and even more advanced features like status (available, DND, meeting, etc), and media delivery (much like direct picture today and even small videos). You don't want calls to come through when you are in a PTT call perhaps a CW notification. Also making it not network based would allow PTT to be available by a simple app that can be made available to every phone that can run java apps.

I believe that there is life after iDEN... it is all about execution (no pun intended). I am willing to give Sprint the benefit of the doubt. Doing the right thing is actually important for Sprint's bottom line, regardless of what any of us say on here there is no escaping that fact. Sprint, don't shoot yourself on the foot again, this can be a very lucrative move if you do it right or it can blow up in your face...

I would agree with you, however given Sprint's history as far as PTT goes and trying to create "life after Nextel" has failed miserably.  It would take alot of planning and on the spot execution on Sprints behalf to get it right.  I for one am not holding my breath! But I will give them the benefit of the doubt as well and will see how it does, but again I lack confidence in them.

I guess my question is,  this 1xRTT that you speak of is this actively in use?? Yes Verizon used to use it  or uses it for their PTT, which I have used. I am really not impressed with it, compared to Nextel PTT it severely lacks!!!

Message was edited by: cellullarguru

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points