This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2011 10:34 PM by user4735 RSS

Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This

JoeCools Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

When will Epic phone owners get the Android 2.2 or Gingerbread update?

There are apps and features that we can't use because they only work under Android 2.2

Since Gingerbread is out now also we are getting behind on the Tech, I thought that this phone would be on the bleeding edge of Tech, but now I am having my doughts.

Can I download and install Android 2.2 myself since it is allready available?

Thanks

/Joe

• 1. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    wingland Sprint Admin

No, I would not suggest downloading any of the unofficial builds.  They have issues, and will prevent you from getting the official build when it comes out.

Sprint and Samsung remain committed to delivering a quality build of Android 2.2 for the Epic.

Thanks!

Will

• 2. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    CLAVIS2008 Newbie

I hope you realize just how deeply unsatisfying and even contemptuous your response is, in the context of the pattern set by Sprint on this issue. Seeing a message with phrases like "deeply committed" and "working hard to ensure" every couple of weeks, as the Epic gets older and more out-of-date, and the bugs and limitations of 2.1 continue to disrupt customers' usage, is equivalent to waving your hand at a pesky child and saying "Get outta here, kid, ya bother me!"

I work in systems project management. Anyone who does this professionally recognizes the importance of setting goals and milestones. It is inconceivable that your internal teams have no schedule or timetable for launching the official version of 2.2, which means Sprint's policy of keeping silent on such matters is entirely political. You don't have to tell us anything, so you don't.

I guess Sprint doesn't think it needs to provide responsiveness once the sale has been made. Perhaps this is one of the reasons Sprint is predicted to go bankrupt before the end of the decade...

• 3. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    MisterStorage Regular Visitor

Save it. Those of us who were naive or misguided enough to buy an Epic thinking it would get decent support are long past any reassurances from Sprint. Take your time or don't even bother. Like many others, I will take my business elsewhere.

• 4. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    insanity213 Valued Member

Will,

Why even bother with your less than informative reply?  All it does in infuriate people and remind them how Sprint burned them - burned again if you bought the Moment the year before but I won't get into that scam here.  All your sales reps were promising Froyo "very soon" last fall.  Selling docking devices that require Froyo.  Selling a broken GPS right out of the box.  Selling a phone that couldn't upload without trying to cook itself to death until DI18 dropped.

Lets face it, Froyo itself has been built for a long time and right now Samsung and Sprint are scrambling to get Touchwiz 3 and the bloatware working - bloatware and a launcher the vast majority of your consumers could care less about.  Just do us all a favor and leak the Froyo kernel source so we in the community can fix the few bugs that remain.  At least with DK28 our GPS works 99% of the time instead of being broken 99% of the time.  DK28 is just as stable as DI18 once all the Sprint and Samsung bloat is removed and with the kernel source we could clean up bluetooth voice dialing and the audio routing issues between the headset jack and paired devices in a week or two tops.  Let me know what else your engineers haven't been able to figure out yet (bloatware aside) and we'll fix that too.  Have your engineers even looked at the shoddy hardware keyboard performance issues for the users who can type faster than the keyboard controller can handle?  I've got a few ideas on how to fix that too...

In my opinion no news is better than hearing the same line of bull again.  We all know Sprint knows how to BS their customers - theres no need to keep adding insult to injury.

• 5. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    willmsbrg1 Newbie

I made this comment on a different thread here WAY back on December 1, 2010. I only had the phone for a month at that time and even then based on observation, I figured we would still be waiting... I got the sh*ts of waiting for something that just isn't coming so I rooted my phone and at least I have flash and storage to SD card. I would be suprised if there will be anything but a quiet shelving of this phone.. See my comment from December ....

135. Dec 1, 2010 Posted in response to:                                      CARRASQUILLO57

My guess is as new android devices  continue to come along with 2.2 already installed, this device will be  slipped to the back burner and not see an update at all.......... Case  in point:

I  received my email from sprint, the "Were not happy till your happy"  checkup email... Well, just try to find the EPIC listed on those web  pages that come up. NOT THERE............ Try to update from the My  account page or even look for an update from the link "check for  updates" , NOT THERE.... the only way it shows if if you go to supprt  for devices then choose Samsung....

For what is called a "Flagship"  Device, the EVO gets more attention. Perhaps I chose the wrong device.

• 6. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    c_brookhart Bronze Expert

Last month, when stories surfaced about how Samsung was supposedly charging carriers for the update, Samsung responded stating they were not charging for updates and promised to deliver further details shortly. I'm now convinced that was another false promise.

From talking with Sprint Executive Services, this update was supposed to have been out by the fourth quarter of 2010. Sprint continues to provide no communication to their customers about what is going on, other than the short responses of "we're working with Samsung to deliver the update ASAP" and "we're deeply committed to bringing the 2.2 update." Sprint will not deviate from their "script" that they have created to read to customers who ask about the update.

Here's the reality of the situation. T-mobile is getting a Galaxy S 4G with 2.2 later this month. Samsung is prepared to announce the Galaxy S2 with 2.3. If you look at tweets put out by GalaxySSupport, you will see that they continously state "No official announcement has been made regarding updating the U.S. line of Galaxy S phones to 2.3, and we are not prepared to discuss this at this time." Of course they aren't prepared to discuss it because Samsung has already moved on to the next line of phones.

T-Mobile and U.S. Cellular have done a better job informing customers what's going on. It's too bad Sprint can't do the same.

• 7. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    JWEDDEL1 Newbie

When the Epic 4G was first released, I was shopping for a new phone.  I looked seriously at the EVO4G and the Epic.  I talked quite a long time with the Sprint sales rep, and, after some deliberation, I went with the Epic.  I needed the qwerky keyboard, loved the amazing display of the Epic and I went with the Epic BECAUSE I was told I would have Android 2.2 within a month from buying the phone.  Now, here I am, months later with a phone that has not been updated and features missing due to no upgrade.  Sprint has a history of ignoring their current customers and focusing on getting new ones.

The new Premier plan is a classic example of going backwards and not treating their current and loyal customers in a way that shows Sprint values them.

The decent thing for Sprint to do now would be to push Gingerbread to those of us who have been waiting and waiting and waiting for our upgrade we were promised months ago.

• 8. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    TheShoes76 Regular Visitor

JWEDDEL1 wrote:

When the Epic 4G was first released, I was shopping for a new phone.  I looked seriously at the EVO4G and the Epic.  I talked quite a long time with the Sprint sales rep, and, after some deliberation, I went with the Epic.  I needed the qwerky keyboard, loved the amazing display of the Epic and I went with the Epic BECAUSE I was told I would have Android 2.2 within a month from buying the phone.  Now, here I am, months later with a phone that has not been updated and features missing due to no upgrade.  Sprint has a history of ignoring their current customers and focusing on getting new ones.

The new Premier plan is a classic example of going backwards and not treating their current and loyal customers in a way that shows Sprint values them.

The decent thing for Sprint to do now would be to push Gingerbread to those of us who have been waiting and waiting and waiting for our upgrade we were promised months ago.

Many of us were fed a healthy line of bull about the Epic, and judging by Sprint's efforts to stop advertising the stupid phone, I'd say they realize they got caught lying and are now trying to wash their hands of the epic failure of the Epic.

I sent an email to dan@sprint.com and got a call from a rep who asked me about how I was lied to, got an apology for the incident, and was told that they were "looking into ways of preventing that from happening in the future." Still, I read account after account of people blatantly being lied to about the Epic Froyo debacle by salespeople that it's clear Sprint doesn't know HOW to keep their sales reps in check. It's quite disgusting.

I regret my purchase.

• 9. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This

I regret my purchase and the associated 2-year extension as well. BTW, I've been a Sprint customer since '97, as in last century, so it's not as though I've been unwilling to put up with a lot from Sprint.

Say what you will about Apple, but they are changing the mobile business model. Too bad Google didn't have Apple's clout in controlling the platform as it benefits the customer. I know, "walled garden" vs. free/open/rainbows and unicorns. I'll believe the open platform story when the Samsungs and Sprints of the world *encourage* us to root and mod our phones as opposed to voiding our warranty. In the meantime, pick your poison. For me it most definitely won't be Samsung, and I'm not sure about Sprint either now that we're living in the time of smartphones.

• 10. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    MACROS1971 Regular Visitor

Look everybody, I see where you are all coming from & I agree that being misled is not the way I'd like to do business. I was told when I bought my Epic, that we would have Froyo before the year was over & we able to use all the speed & capabilities of this phone. I'm disappointed in Sprint & Samsung for marketing & manufacturing a phone with such incredible potential & then moving on to greener pastures before they had fulfilled the commitment that they had made to their current customers. Hopefully I don't need to point out the shortcomings of their sales & marketing efforts to either Sprint or Samsung, but hopefully each purchaser of the Epic 4G does not become a victim of a company looking to the horizon, who forgets where they are now & how they got here.

What's the right thing to do? Should Sprint return money to their Epic customers, refund our Premium Data charges, allow their dissatisfied customers to switch to the phone of their choice without additional charge? The answer is that I am not a businessman, but that it is clear that Sprint has misled, if not deceived, its' Epic 4G customers through false information provided by their sales staff. Clearly Froyo was not in the works when this phone was initially released, so whoever advised the sales staff that it WAS should be held accountable for causing the misinformation of Sprints' customers & causing many of us to feel a distrust in a company whom we've chosen to do business with. Luckily for Sprint, the Epic is not its' only phone & there are many other satisfied customers out there using their other great products, but it's clear to me that they have a mess that they need to clean up & they need to stop the bleeding before the bad PR train reaches a boiling point.

I sincerely hope that Sprint does whatever it takes to fulfill their obligation to its' customers, as quickly as possible. I hope they make it clear to their development personnel & sales staff that in the future, no information should be released to their customers until Sprint is prepared to stand behind it.This is a pretty big misstep for a company who is touting its' great improvements in customer service. If you're going to talk the talk, Sprint, then be prepared to walk the walk as well!

• 11. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This

I think a big part of the problem is that all carriers, not just Sprint, are unprepared for the amount of support required for smartphones. Heck, AT&T couldn't even handle just the sales support, never mind the support of the actual iPhone. The problem for Sprint is they're still a weak 3rd to AT&T and Verizon and can't afford any missteps.

The customer service manager I spoke with last Sunday was highly knowledgable about Android, had rooted/modded his Epic, even referred me to xda-developers. And he had the right idea for a solution: a phone _like_ the Nexus, where interference from handset makers and Sprint is minimized if not eliminated.

While I regret the purchase, life goes on. If Sprint thinks those of us who are posting on these forums are a minority, then no big deal for them and we go elsewhere. That's the free enterprise system. But if Sprint has miscalculated, they will pay dearly as they can't afford to keep bleeding subscribers, especially the lucrative smartphone users. If I were Sprint I would get in front of this one rather than try to talk us out of leaving after we've already signed up with another carrier.

• 12. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    PLTEXAS Newbie

Here Here!!  I have had a business acct w/ Sprint for over 15 years.  When the Hero came out, I purchased 2 of them - after being told they had the latest version of android.  Turns out they didn't, and the phones were HORRIBLE and wreaked havoc on my business.  Having rec'd no help or satisfaction from Sprint, I went to ebay and purchased phones to replace the Heros, one of which was the Epic.  I am waiting for all the contracts to expire on my Sprint phones, and then I am moving my business elsewhere.  The treatment they have been giving their customers of late is not acceptable, and I for one won't cry when they do go under!

• 13. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    SmurfinTruck2011 Valued Member

Nice canned response Will....hate to say it but with Sprints lack of support and lack of truth anything you guys claim you "are working on" means nothing unless you give hard facts/dates.  IE tell us why you are really delaying Froyo, the canned response from Sprint you are working on it aka waiting for the new Galaxy S comes out before giving you're "flagship phone" its needed update.  All you and Samsung are doing is pushing everyone to rooted phones with custom roms running 2.2.1 or soon to be 2.3 so either suck it up and be like we dropped the ball and waiting for the new device or get the update out.  Its sad when xda developer's and the open source community can get an update out faster then you guys or Samsung.  Tells me the quality of your developers.

• 14. Re: Android 2.2 or Gingerbread When Will Epic Get This
    user4735 Regular Visitor

When will the Epic get this??

Froyo- who knows.

Gingerbread- you can forget it.

1. Don't ever listen to a sales rep, store manager, district manager, company CEO, or anyone else who promises software updates- don't even trust the manufacturer themselves.  Those "promises" have proven to be ****, over the years, from every manufacturer.  But Samsung in particular- don't ever buy Samsung if you want to keep up on software.

2. It's not up to Sprint to release the update- sure, they work with Samsung on it, but ultimately, it's Samsung's device, and their choice whether to support it.  Sprint only provides your cell service.  So don't run them into the ground for something that's not their fault...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points