This discussion is archived
1 2 3 10 Previous Next 144 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2011 10:34 AM by RRABINES RSS

Sprint explaining the smartphone charge

ClaudiPo Silver Expert
Currently Being Moderated

The $10 Premium Data charge effective 1/30/11 for new smartphone activations has started to become a(nother) heated discussion point, so I'd like to summarize the reasons for this move as well as exceptions to the new rule:

• Smartphone customers on average consume 10 times more data, than customers who use feature phones.
  • Worldwide, mobile data traffic is forecast to more than double each year through 2014.
  • The $10 add-on is necessary because these devices are more expensive to run on our network than feature phones.
  • Instead of on-network limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint is applying its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all smartphone activations beginning Jan. 30. It simply helps us to continue offering our unlimited plans.
  • The $10 Premium Data add-on charge does not apply to the Employee Wireless Discounts plan. There is no change for customers in the SERO or Sprint Wireless Advantage Club programs, which already require premium plans for smartphones which are $10 more per month than basic plans.
  • Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone.
  • This is not a 4G charge. It has always and will continue to be a way for Sprint to provide the value of unlimited pricing on the Sprint network while still offering the rich data experience customers have come to expect.

Feel free to share your views here or directly in response to the official Sprint announcement at http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/buzz-by-sprint/announcements/blog/2011/01/18/sprint-makes-premium-data-changes

• 1. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    rendang Newbie

Thank you for posting the summary.

I currently have three separate SERO Premium (individual) lines and this is the only mention I've come across on the impact of the smartphone charge to SERO effective 1/30/11:

There is no change for customers in the SERO or Sprint Wireless  Advantage Club programs, which already require premium plans for  smartphones which are $10 more per month than basic plan.

The current pricing structure is that the Sero Premium is $10 more than the regular Sero. In addition, select phones (EVO, Epic, etc) are an additional $10/mo on top of Sero Premium. I have Palm Pre and LG Optimus S phones on my account so I am on the Sero Premium plan. I am not paying the additional $10/mo required for EVO, Epic, etc.

Since I am already on the SERO Premium  (which is $10/mo more than the basic Sero to allow for smartphones that have higher data usage), how does this affect Sero Premium accounts?

1) What happens if I upgrade/swap phones post 1/30/11 with say another Palm Pre or Optimus S? Will I remain at my currently montly rate?

2) What happens if I upgrade/swap phones post 1/30/11 with say an EVO, Epic, etc (phones that currently incur an additional $10/mo on top of Sero Premium charge)

Thank you

• 2. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    monika_chou Regular Visitor

i have the same questions as rendang... someone from sprint pls reply.

• 3. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    3020fjr2 Bronze Expert

Interesting how Sprint CEO explaining how 4g is cheaper. Yet sprint raised data prices by 10 dollar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-sRcRf0CbA I gues sprint work just like broadband provider, and cable companies and not how dan hesse explain.  Want faster dsl or cable speed pay more, want hd pay more, want faster wireless internet pay more.

• 4. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    MEHARPER08 Regular Visitor

If SERO and the Sprint Wireless Advantage Club plans are better (less money), maybe we all want on them and pay less.  If these plans are less money, we are paying for them and Sprint being able to keep their system up and running.  Can Sprint operate their system with only SERO and Sprint Wireless Adv. Club.

• 5. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    BROBERT11 Regular Visitor

data trafiic DOES cost less on a 4G network. You are right... This however has nothing to do w/ the Prem data charge for smartphones... It's insane how many times Sprint has said this and people just are unable/unwilling to understand. Since the current pricing structure was introduced in 2008 data usage has intensified significantly, even from the casual user. Data traffic over Sprint's network alone doubled from 2009 - 2010. And as noted earlier, data usage on mobile devices is expected to double every year from now until 2014... This increased usage costs more to manage regardless of network type and efficiency... For instance. If a 4G network manages data 10x more efficiently than a 3G network, but data usage increases by 25x on average from consumers, then this is still an issue that has to be addressed and cost money to provide solutions to continue to deliver that data reliably at acceptable speeds and this cost money in the form of investments in network upgrades and technology (figures are for illustrative purposes only). Also, 4G is only a small peice of the pie at this point. Every carrier is seeing unprecedented data use increases on thier 3G networks and even w/ the introduction of 4G, the 3G networks are not going anywhere and will continue to need to be upgraded to meet the demands...

• 6. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    KSM0310 Valued Member

Your entire post is pretty laughable.

• Smartphone customers on average consume 10 times more data, than customers who use feature phones. So why didn't Sprint introduce the $10 fee when they introduced the Hero and Moment? You trying to tell me data usage skyrocketed that much within the past 2 years? Why did Sprint wait until nearly the end of the month to annouce the rate change?
    • Worldwide, mobile data traffic is forecast to more than double each year through 2014. So, what?
    • The $10 add-on is necessary because these devices are more expensive to run on our network than feature phones. What a joke. Again, why wait until now to introduce it?
    • Instead  of on-network limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless  phones as competitors have done, Sprint is applying its $10 Premium Data  add-on charge to all smartphone activations beginning Jan. 30. It  simply helps us to continue offering our unlimited plans. Why doesn't Sprint help themselves and get better devices to attract more customers. Why is it taking so long to get an Iphone? People want it, the sales speak for themselves. Why doesn't Sprint be honest with what they are doing. The Premium data charge has nothing to do with customers using more data and everything to do with Sprint wanting to make a money grab.
    • The  $10 Premium Data add-on charge does not apply to the Employee Wireless  Discounts plan. There is no change for customers in the SERO or Sprint  Wireless Advantage Club programs, which already require premium plans  for smartphones which are $10 more per month than basic plans.
    • Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone. Guess I won't be upgrading or activating a new smartphone.
    • This  is not a 4G charge. It has always and will continue to be a way for  Sprint to provide the value of unlimited pricing on the Sprint network  while still offering the rich data experience customers have come to  expect. There is no difference between this charge and the 4G charge, call it whatever you want. An extra $120 a year is still an $120.
  • 7. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    VerizonGal Regular Visitor

Sorry...I don't believe a word Sprint tells me.  Call is what it is....greed.  Sprint has proven once again that they can and will change a contract with their customers and not even look back.  This is the second time in six months that they have forced a change to our 2 year contract.  We must abide by these changes and have no recourse.  They are no longer the best value for service provided.  They have proven twice in the past 6 months that they care little for long time customers.  These changes will cost us at least $40 more PER MONTH to have the exact same services we have been using for years.  We have Blackberries that do NOT use data like an android phone.  We are being required to pay like we do.  Even if we buy a phone oughtright ( I would never sign another contract with Sprint again) it triggers the $10 per line fee? You may have me for now Sprint but I will look to go elsewhere.  ETF?  Who cares.  Sell the phones and we will be gone.  Enough is enough.

• 8. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    juandelpueblo Regular Visitor

They are not changin it only if you activate or buy a new phone. If you do not do any of the two then you do not have to pay the 10 dollars.

• 9. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    illegal_operation Valued Member

Right now legacy customers who have unlimited data,  are not allowed to upgrade to any new phones.   Because we didn't have the extra unlimited/premium data.

So after 1/31/11 if we agree to pay the extra $10 for the premium data,  we can get any phone we want and keep our current plans?  Just like how SERO customers have been able to do?   I should be able to purchase the Epic, and keep my plan and just pay the $10 for this new premium data.  Correct?

• 10. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    spinaway Expert

ClaudiPo,

I quite understand the reasons for the charges.  By and large, Sprint does offer the best unlimited plans.  But I think Sprint is making a critical mistake.  And that mistake is not the umlimited coverage per se.  It's the unlimited everything part.  Frankly, there are a lot of customers like me, and all I need is the 450 minute calling plan and unlimited data.  That's it.  I don't need text messaging (I use Google Voice).  I don't need picture messaging.  I don't even need voice mail.  I don't need the other "unlimited" bells and whistles.

Get this: when it comes time for me to renew and my contract is up, I will have to choose between a Sprint plan of $79.99 a month and a Verizon plan of $69.98 per month ($39.99 for 450 minutes plus $29.99 for unlimited data).  So when I get a new device, which plan should I be choosing, given that I don't need all the extra bells and whistles?

Go ahead and keep my $70 a month plan at sprint and forget about giving me text messages or Telenav.  Let me choose the unlimited services that I want.  Maybe that will be a smarter move.

• 11. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    ReForMatt Regular Visitor

To me the added charge would be fine and really isn't effecting how much I pay monthly because I have an evo.

But if you look around the web you can read 100s of post about people all the way back in Nov of 2010 to now complaining there 3g speeds had dropped dramatically to 56k modem speed range. I have noticed the slower speeds as well. And I live in Houston where it shows excellent 3g coverage. I would think before Sprint tags on the added fee across the board 3g and or 4g they should address there 3g issues. Just my 2 cents.

• 12. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    MGUTTIERI1 Newbie

I am totally aggravated at this.  I have a Everything Data family plan that I had to pay the extra $19.99 a line on for the two lines that weren't using data phone (two lines were) because ALL lines had to be data on the plan... so I said, "OK, I'm paying for it, anyway, I'll upgrade the phones."  But the salesmen in the Sprint Store never said ANYTHING about the extra $10 a month for the 4G phone!!

• 13. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge - Should be $5 for Blackberry
    JSC Regular Visitor

But, Sprint, Blackberry compresses all the data that is sent to their phones, using less bandwidth than other smartphones.  (Which is why the Blackberry NetKit browser is the fastest smartphone browser.)   So, why not reward RIM for its superior network friendly technology and give RIM's customers the price break they deserve.  In return, we Blackberry customers will make better use of of your existing network.

Jamie

• 14. Re: Sprint explaining the smartphone charge
    TK241 Silver Expert

ClaudiPo wrote:

The $10 Premium Data charge effective 1/30/11 for new smartphone activations has started to become a(nother) heated discussion point, so I'd like to summarize the reasons for this move as well as exceptions to the new rule:

• Smartphone customers on average consume 10 times more data, than customers who use feature phones.
    • Worldwide, mobile data traffic is forecast to more than double each year through 2014.
    • The $10 add-on is necessary because these devices are more expensive to run on our network than feature phones.
    • Instead of on-network limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint is applying its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all smartphone activations beginning Jan. 30. It simply helps us to continue offering our unlimited plans.
    • The $10 Premium Data add-on charge does not apply to the Employee Wireless Discounts plan. There is no change for customers in the SERO or Sprint Wireless Advantage Club programs, which already require premium plans for smartphones which are $10 more per month than basic plans.
    • Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone.
    • This is not a 4G charge. It has always and will continue to be a way for Sprint to provide the value of unlimited pricing on the Sprint network while still offering the rich data experience customers have come to expect.

Feel free to share your views here or directly in response to the official Sprint announcement at http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/buzz-by-sprint/announcements/blog/2011/01/18/sprint-makes-premium-data-changes

I was thinking on getting me the Motorola I1 soon, now i may wait or just get another "dumbphone" just to avoid the $10 fee .  Anyway, the feeling i get from all this new nickel-and-dimming is that it seems like they wanna almost punish one for getting a smartphone, hello!  Smartphones are going to be the main device to use in a few short years, and the good ol` "dumbphone" will go the way of the dinosaur.  Now if someone could at least tell me if the I1 will be one of the units that will incurr the new fee or not, as that will be one of the big deal-breakers as to upgrading to it or not, no point in upgrading just to pay a fee, even if i don`t use all that much data (i don`t, as i`m atmittedly still kinda "poisoned" by the experience of my former provider and pretty much am a skeptic of apps working correctly yet...and this fee isn`t doing anything to change that right now IMHO).  N9NRA

1 2 3 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...