This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2011 8:43 PM by YUSEFJB08 RSS

Military Support Team suspend service

YUSEFJB08 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

My question: What's the point of suspending my daughter's line while she's deployed as there are no savings involved under a family plan?

(mins 1-10) I started off chatting with a young lady, Katy?, about getting my daughter's line suspended while she's deployed.  I was told to contact the Sprint "Military Support Team" (877-445-0771 close at 9PM) in order to have that done.

(mins 10-25) Called "Military Support Team" and, after being on hold for about 10 mins, spoke with a pleasant gentleman who was happy to help me (really nice guy).  Anyway, after taking all my information and my daughters information, he explained how suspending the line on a family plan worked, there are no savings involved, the line is simply suspended.  So it's kind of like a shell game, Sprint suspends the line you want suspended then moves it to the position of the 2nd line on the account that is 0 dollars.  Sprint then takes the line that was formerly the 2nd line on the account and moves it to the position the suspended line held - brilliant - Sprint suspends the line but continues to charge you the same amount, even though you're not using that phone line.  Sheer corporate genius.  Now, one comment about the "Military Support Team" which is basically a way to shovel all the military folks off the primary customer support lines, you know, the ones where people are adding lines of service and asking for phone accessories (i.e. where the money is being made) and has them wait in the phone queue for the "Military Support Team" (probably 3 people) to answer all those calls from folks trying to suspend their line of service and then (think Gomer Pyle here) Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

So what's the bottom line, I just wasted 30-45 minutes of my afternoon waiting to find out that there's really no reason to suspend my daughter's line after all.  I personally thank Sprint for their support of our military personnel and their families.

• 1. Re: Military Support Team suspend service
    SP_Hana Bronze Expert

YUSEFJB08,

Hi-this is Hana with the Sprint Premier Team.

I appreciate the fact that you utilized the Premier forum with your concern. 

I spoke to the manager of the Military Suspend Program and he is inquiring on whether you would be able to contact him; so that he can go over all of your options.  Would you like further assistance with your concern?  If so please call Terry, Team Manager at 1-877-455-0771.

Thank you for choosing Sprint!

Sincerely,

Hana

• 2. Re: Military Support Team suspend service

Just to clarify for all you readers out there: I'm on a family plan with FIVE (5)  lines of service.  Hopefully now the complaint, um, question makes more sense now.  So for those of you out there on a FAMILY PLAN with more than TWO (2) lines, this is what you can look forward to.  Thanks (BTW isn't novice a little more user friendly than newbie....)

Message was edited by: YUSEFJB08

• 3. Re: Military Support Team suspend service

Well, tried contacting Hana (see below), no luck there either.  Thanks...maybe we'll see about posting this elsewhere and someone will respond.

---------------------------------------------------

Ms. Hana,

The response is assuming I'm on a family plan with just 2 (two) lines possibly because I used the term 2nd line, but there would have had to have been at least 3 (three) lines to accomplish what I described.  I'm actually on a family plan with 5 (five) lines of service.  I didn't misunderstand anything I was told and wasn't offered another option.  If there's another option available, then I'm listening.  I prefer not to call as I prefer to have a paper trail, so to speak, of what's been discussed (just so there's no misunderstanding you see).  And yes, it is rather frustrating as I pay Sprint $250 a month, on time, every month and I'm quite sure compared to Sprint's other Premier customers that I'm not utilizing that entire $3,000 a year worth of cellular service.  Granted, my two daughters may compare with other customers when it comes to text messaging but it's one of their accounts I want to suspend.  Please see what can be done.
    ------------------------------------------------------

• 4. Re: Military Support Team suspend service
    SP_Vernon Newbie

Dear YUSEFFJB08,

Your response to Hana not responding to you arise some concern because up until now Hana has been assisting this Premier Community Forum with exemplary response times and exceptional assistance within her capacity.  I have reviewed all post, including her private messages, and discovered that Hana has kept her title of continuing to keep her response times exemplary.  She has provided you with assistance by going over and above by reaching out to other department managers to assist your specific request/issue.  We do understand that there is an outstanding private message that she will be responding to, please allow 24 - 48 hours for replies.  Sometimes the assistance that she is providing needs that threshold.

Thank you for the feedback;

Sincerely, Vernon

• 5. Re: Military Support Team suspend service

Vernon thank you for your concern for Hana's statistics.  Here's my response to her:

That'd be great as I work odd hours and don't have time to sit on the phone chatting with Sprint about what should be an easy fix.  While I appreciate "Terry" isn't available online, my time is valuable, as I'm sure Terry's is as well.  I just can't see spending another 45 minutes waiting on the phone for what could/should/can be fixed with an email message or two.  I'll be forwarding this to "Vernon" as well as he seemed concerned that I may have ruined your stats by emailing you again after I didn't get a response to my first message.  Thanks and have a great day.

Ms. Hana,

The response is assuming I'm on a family plan with just 2 (two) lines possibly because I used the term 2nd line, but there would have had to have been at least 3 (three) lines to accomplish what I described. I'm actually on a family plan with 5 (five) lines of service.  I didn't misunderstand anything I was told and wasn't offered another option.  If there's another option available, then I'm listening.  I prefer not to call as I prefer to have a paper trail, so to speak, of what's been discussed (just so there's no misunderstanding you see).  And yes, it is rather frustrating as I pay Sprint $250 a month, on time, every month and I'm quite sure compared to Sprint's other Premier customers that I'm not utilizing that entire $3,000 a year worth of cellular service.  Granted, my two daughters may compare with other customers when it comes to text messaging but it's one of their accounts I want to suspend.  Please see what can be done.

I am authorizing you to access my account:

Thank you for your time and attention in this matter,

Sincerely,

SFC (RET)/U.S. Army

On 2/3/2011 5:12 PM, SP_Hana wrote:

Author : SP_Hana

Profile : http://community.sprint.com/baw/people/SP_Hana

--------------------------------------------------------------

YUSEFJB08,

Hi-this is Hana with the Sprint Premier Team.

I appreciate the fact that you utilized the Premier forum with your concern.  Your post gives me the

opportunity to clarify some information for you and to resolve your issue.

When you are on a family plan with two lines and one of your lines goes on Military Suspend; you do

not need to continue to pay for a family plan.  We would be able to put your one remaining line on an

individual plan. We would not want you to continue to pay for a family plan that you are not utilizing.

Your daughters line may be on Military Suspend for a max of three years, if the contract expires before

that time span; there will not be an Early Termination Fee.

I apologize for the misinformation that you received.  I can understand your frustration and would

like to assist you.  In order to do so please send me a private message with your name, Sprint wireless

number and 6-10 digit pin number.  I would need this information to access your account.  I hope to

hear from you soon.

Thank you for choosing Sprint!

Sincerely,

Hana

Good afternoon, Mr. .

Thank you for providing the information that was needed to access your account!

I should have asked for more clarification; regarding your plan and how many lines you have on your

account.

At this time, I can direct you with the team manager in the Military Suspend Department.  Terry can

either call you at the above number.  Or you can contact him at 1-877-455-0771.  He is not available

online to provide assistance.  I understand that you want to have a "paper trail", I assure you that your

account will be documented with everything you two speak about.  Would you like me to forward this

message to Terry?

Sincerely,

Hana

• 6. Re: Military Support Team suspend service

That's really interesting.  Couldn't get actual assistance from Sprint from the first call, got an answer from "Hana" who provided me with a phone number, 1-877-445-0771, (see previous msg).  So, even though I explained to Hana that I'd appreciate her forwarding the message to Terry because of my work schedule, I decided to try the number she gave me anyway.  The number when dialed gets "The number you dialed is not in service.  Please check the number and dial again." Yes, I checked it, even dialed a few variations.  I'm beginning to wonder if "Terry" or "Vernon" even exist.  Perhaps there is just one person handling all these messages, kind of feel sorry for him/her 'cause you know it ain't no fun dealin' with aggravated customers....and that's what I've become at this point.

Thanks again Sprint.  

I called the regular customer service line, they got me through to the Military Support Team (apparently the number worked for the 1st customer service representative).  Long story short, a VERY nice customer service agent named Tina took care of everything and was very courteous and professional about it to boot!  Thanks again Tina! 

• 7. Re: Military Support Team suspend service
    ANDIK44 Newbie

I am so glad that I read about your experience prior to calling sprint so I wasn't surprised and knew what questions to ask.  I am also on a family plan with numerous phones.  And yes they moved my son's phone to the free phone position so I will save the amount of the protection package and some taxes.  And I spoke with some monotone guy who thanked me for my son's service to our country with the same tone used to tell me I wouldn't be saving a dime.  sigh..........

• 8. Re: Military Support Team suspend service

My apologies for not clarifying this in my diatribes - what needs to be done is for them to put your son's phone on it's own plan (still within your account).  That separate plan will be at $0 (zero) dollars and the other phones (in my case 4) remain under the plan that you currently have.  Thus your son's phone doesn't cost you during the deployment.  So, go ahead and call them back and tell them you know they can do it - you just have to know what to ask for.

• 9. Re: Military Support Team suspend service
    ANDIK44 Newbie

Thank you!!!!!!!!  I called and suspended the service and then called his number and it said the person at the number was unavailable.  So I thought if I am not saving money I should atleast keep it on so I can hear his message.  SO I called and turned it back on.  haha  Crazy Military Mom!!!!  I will give myself a week or so to get used to it and then I will call them back and do it the way you advised me!  Thank you Thank you!

• 10. Re: Military Support Team suspend service
    ANDI.FOX Newbie

I have been reading all of these posts and it has lead me to come to the conclusion that while the people at Sprint are very nice individuals they kindly dismiss any attempt at actually helping me with figuring out my problem.  I am currently deployed and I am also on a family plan, but only have two lines for my wife and I.  As such they have told me there is no way to help me because they said you have to have a minimum of two lines to maintain a family plan and if they put my line on hold/deactivated it while I am deployed, it would no longer work as a family plan.  I then asked about adding some sort of international plan to my line so I could text or skype on my phone with my wife during my "adventures" over here and they said they do not offer an international plan for individuals, only for corporations.  So far they are 0 for 2, and while sprint offers cheap service I find it just doesn't work for people who often operate outside the norm for cellular service (i.e. the military).  Thanks for your updates YUSEFJB08, it has helped me realize that I just won't get helped, I guess you get what you pay for .

• 11. Re: Military Support Team suspend service

Tried this once and they timed me out and nuked my reply.  Yeah, that's the catch-22, technically you'd have to have 3 lines or more to make it work as with 2 lines of service the 2nd one is "free" as part of the family plan.  Not a whole lot of savings there, perhaps your wife could switch to an individual plan depending on the savings and usage compared to a family plan while your line is "suspended".  Only other option I see is becoming friends with your S-6 shop or getting a local cell (not  recommended ) as the Sprint phones are CDMA not GSM so you can't get a local card to go in the phone.  Unfortunately this sage is out of advice, so God bless and good luck and may you and the other folks over there return safely.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points