6 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2011 1:05 AM by jkiehlmeier RSS

Auto sending text to random contacts

jkiehlmeier Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I recently upgraded my cell phone on March 23, 2011 to the HTC EVO 4G.  On March 31st around 3pm I noticed some messages in my message center that I did not send or anyone else.  I would delete them but they came back.  And more and more messages was showing up.  Looking at the whole situation it seems to have only been facebook contacts that the messages was sent to.

I heard that in Dec 2010 there was an update that was supposed to fix this issue.  Are their others that are experiencing this issue?

• 1. Auto sending text to random contacts

Today April 07,2011  I was told after taking my phone in to a local sprint store to have a tech look at it that Lookout a virus program is and is assumed to be the conflict of the problem.  I would like a definite answer from another sprint tech. 

I find this funny since I was waiting in the store and a tech told a customer that he must download this particular program on his phone, but however the issue with my phone is the app. HMMMMmmmmmmm....

• 2. Auto sending text to random contacts
    BMHORSFALL01 Regular Visitor

What you are describing sounds like a known android virus.  "Lookout" is an andoid anti virus program.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.  Are you saying that the tech told you that the problem with your phone was the "Lookout" application you installed or was it a different application?

• 3. Auto sending text to random contacts
    DanaMillan Bronze Expert

I have never encountered this issue and I have Lookout on my Evo. Have had it downloaded since the first day I got the phone. I would think as BMHORSFALL01 stated that you have a virusd on your phone. If Lookout is not finding it try connecting to a PC with antivirus software and run it on your phone by selecting the drive your phone is recognized as.

Hope this helps!

• 4. Auto sending text to random contacts
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

We see very widespread issues regarding the app Lookout. I recommend against its use as it seems to randomly cause moderate to severe issues. Rarely does a day go by that I don't run into an issue that is resolved simply by uninstalling this app. If in doubt that Lookout is the cause of an issue, uninstall it and powercycle your phone to test.

• 5. Auto sending text to random contacts
    DanaMillan Bronze Expert

If Lookout is not recommended due to issues it can cause, can anyone recommend one with a safer reputation???

• 6. Auto sending text to random contacts

Per sprint technicians the EVO allready has a program built in to the phone to check for viruses.  So no virus program is needed.  I have no clue as to why there are even virus programs available.  I like most people would think my phone like computer would need the extra help to stop such attack.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points