This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2011 7:34 PM by RC1024 RSS

If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?

ickster Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

To the reps I went off on yesterday, I'm sorry. Sprint customer care sure is frustrating though. It seemed like no one did care.

I had two Samsung Epics new in the box that I wanted to activate two new ported numbers to. I went in thinking I wasn't going to have to sign a contract. Right.

I was told by several Sprint salespeople that this was not possible. ThaI got into quite a few loud conversations with several people about this. How can Sprint justify this policy? Traditionally, a carrier subsidizes the phone and the customer signs a contract. Both get something, the customer usually gets a substancial savings and the carrier gets a contracted customer. And the customers pays to get out of the contract....keeping the phone. So what do I get for signing the comtract?

Can someone at Sprint justify this for me? I daresay no one will.

So I decide that I really would like the Evo better, that it is a better phone. If I'm going to be FORCED to sign a contract with MY  phones, I may as well sell the Epics and sign the contract and get the Evos. So I sell them on craigslist and join up with Sprint.

Not happy with the 4g or the 3g. I have yet to go over 1mbps. I always was at 1.5mbps on my Samsung Indulge through Metropcs. Always. I wasn't happy with those speeds. In retrospect they were great.

Sooo, I call *2 and complain about these speeds. I mention to "Otis" my unhappiness with the fact that I had to sign a contract and he says "Oh. your own phones? You didn't have to sign a contract..Really? So I call again, get John, ask HIM  the same question. He gives me the same answer....."You did NOT have to sign a contract" By this time I'm out of my mind.

I leave my house and drive to my corp. store. On the way I dial *2 again and escalate to Pedro, who totally refutes everything the other two have told me. Quite rude to me in the end. I was admittatly upset.

So can a rep here answer this question.

"If you come to Sprint with two Epics that you own and want to open a new account and port two numbers, do you have to sign a contract? And if so how can Sprint justify this for me please?"

I'm still considering whether to leave with-in the thirty day period. I likely will, based on the slow speeds and  total lack of caring and respect I felt I've received by virtually everyone I've talked to about this.

I've been reading the internet furiously for two days and there sure are a lot of people unhappy with the way they are treated by Sprint. Myself I left them two years ago when the messed up my bill and when I threatened to leave, found they had added months to my contract. I heard the phrase "Well our records indicate...." so many times I thought I was going to puke. As soon as that end date came I RAN.

I got these free phones and look at me, I'm pretty unhappy.I'm pretty sure Sprint will not honor the gurantee based on what I've seen. I'm thinking I'll take the hit. MetroPCS really was better. I haven't been unhappy there. I'll miss the EVO though.

So Sprint what exactly is the policy? Either way, I won't be happy. Either I should have been able to sign up without a contract, keeping my free phones, or I got forced into a contract based on false info from a lot of Sprint reps. I am not holding my breath for an answer to this.

I was also never made aware of the double $36.00 actvation fees charged by Best Buy...until I looked online. One of the reps I spoke to yesterday offered to remove that, but I was to hot about my other issues. I missed that opportunity. But I'm not happy about that either.

What fees exactly can I expect on your "apsolute everything returned 30 day guarantee"? Like I said I'm guessing I'll be eating quite a bit.

• 1. If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    wingland Sprint Admin

Good question!

I don't know the answer, but I moved your post to our Plans section so it'll get the proper visibilty. 

Thanks,

Will

• 2. If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    ickster Regular Visitor

I wish you had not moved this, part of my issue is the LACK  of customer service on this issue.

• 3. If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    ickster Regular Visitor

The silence is deafening. No reps care to invite me to PM them?  I called Sprint corporate today. Best  Monique could come up with was "Well it is the lowest priced choice of the contracted providers". Like that applies. Has nothing to do with the question. That is her justification? Absurd!

WHAT DO I GET for the "privledge" of signing a contract? The privledge of .5mbps? That's POINT FIVE MBPS!!

• 4. If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    ickster Regular Visitor

I received a bill from Sprint today. This after I closed my account and talked to three people seeking assurances that I would not be receiveing any more bills. Sprint, you suck.

• 5. Re: If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

ickster, we appreciate the time you put into your post in order to provide feedback.  The volume of writing that you've provided blatantly displays how poor of an experience you've had with Sprint and for that I apologize.  The situation you present is actually a situation that may not happen as often as one may think.  The truth is, when opening a brand new Sprint account, whether a device was purchased through alternate sources, at upgrade pricing or at full retail price, a service agreement is required.  The contract is not due to the equipment in this particular instance but is required based upon the rate plan.  To clarify, you are absolutely correct when you say that carriers subsidize phones which in turn produce a contract.  It is important to understand that going forward, once the initial contract agreement is in place, should a customer purchase a device at full retail price or through an alternate source (craigslist, a friend, non-affiliate of Sprint etc.), the contract is not extended.  Also keep in mind that Sprint does not extend contracts due to rate plan changes. 

In regards to your other billing/account issues, I cannot address them specifically for I do not have the proper information provided.  I have, however, sent you a private message so we can discuss in further detail.

~ Nicholas   

• 6. If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    2storyhouse Newbie

The same situation happened to me. I purchased a phone through craigslist, after being told by a rep that it could be added to my existing plan without a contract, only to find out that that information was incorrect. The customer service reps need more training or something. The consistency of their answers suck. We as clients should not have to question several reps to get the 'real' correct answer. We don't have time for that and quite frankly, WE are the customers, YOU should be trying to keep us happy so we repay you with our continued business.

My question to your reply Nicolas is "Although the contract is not extended, if I purchase a new device after the initial contract agreement is in place, do I have to repay Spring for the original phone I received with this initial contract, since I won't be using it anymore?"

• 7. If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

I think the question you are asking is:   If you start an account with us and get a phone  then replace it with one you buy  yourself  do you have to pay sprint for the original phone?

when you opened the line of service you recieved and paid for a device from sprint. device from sprint.  as long as the line of service continues beyond 30 days  you would keep that device.  If the line is canceled within 30 days it would have to be returned.  If you cancel after 30 days but prior to the end of the contract you would pay an early termination fee.

I hope this has answered your question.

• 8. If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    tanduchess Newbie
    when opening a brand new Sprint account:
    It is important to understand that going forward, once the initial  contract agreement is in place, should a customer purchase a device at  full retail price or through an alternate source (craigslist, a friend,  non-affiliate of Sprint etc.), the contract is not extended.  Also keep  in mind that Sprint does not extend contracts due to rate plan changes.

Please clarify further.

Is the determining factor the- line of service or if you are currently an active customer with a Sprint account?

My Sprint account includes:

Aircard line since 11/2007 &

Phone line since 4/2011

Are you saying? 

1.  Since I've had a Sprint account since 2007. My account is not new, so it could be assumed that I can bring any of MY owned equipment and get service for it w/o a contract?

~or~

2.  Each line, aircard or otherwise has to complete one initial contract period if you bring your own equipment to the table or not.

The verbiage is not clear and I think that's why some have misunderstood or feel misled.

• 9. If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

It is based on line of service as each line has it own contract.

If you replace your aircard  with a card for which sprint gave you no rebate  then the contract would not extend  same for  the phone line the contract on it would end in 2103

If you added and additional line of service it would have a contract that would start on the day the service was activated and run for 2 years.

• 10. If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    Mdhiking Newbie

I just discovered this today as well. I recently upgraded my Sanyo 2700 to an Android based phone. I wanted to add my old Sanyo as a second line to give to my mother for emergencies. The rep via the Sprint chat told me this was possible without a contract, etc. Sprint sales told me otherwise. The sprint sales call btw was horrid, I could barely understand him and he sounded unsure and confused.

Instead I have decided to pickup a prepaid line for my Mother, it's cheaper in the long run anyway.

• 11. Re: If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    quaybon2 Newbie

Then why did Verizon not rope me into a contract when I used an old phone for a third line? Verizon also had decent customer service because they did not hire foreign phone banks to ***** things up and take jobs overseas. I always was able to talk with someone who was in the U.S. and took care of my concerns--they didn't call me "Mr. Jeff" either. I came back to Sprint because I thought they had gotten better after it took them two and a half years to admit that roaming was covered in my plan after hurting my credit. I also returned because Sprint was cheaper. You get what you pay for. It reminds of the "my name is Peggy" advertisement.

• 12. Re: If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    quaybon2 Newbie

Sprint can't extend contracts due to rate plan changes by law.

• 13. Re: If I have my own phones can I activate a new accounrt without a contract...if not, Why?
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

All of our advertised plans require a 2 year service agreement, so you are not able to activate a phone with one of our newer plans without an agreement. The contract in this situation is not being lengthened, it is a newly created contract based on the requirements of the selected plan.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...