This discussion is locked
1 2 3 61 Previous Next 907 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2012 2:02 PM by YESNOW8 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Signal Issues with Nexus S

LUCKY051779 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

• 1. Signal Issues with Nexus S
    dreamcat1138 Regular Visitor

I am having the same exact issue.
    Got the Nexus S 4G yesterday, good coverage everywhere.
    Get to work, no signal at all.  Can't make/receive calls or texts, or connect to Marketplace.
    And the coverage map says I am in the best coverage area for 3G and 4G.

I hope there is a fix.

• 2. Signal Issues with Nexus S

I don't know what to do, I need to be able to have coverage where I work. And it's odd that another Sprint phone has great signal strength here in my office....

• 3. Signal Issues with Nexus S
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

LUCKY051779

Hi, I do apologize that you are having issues with coverage at your job. If your coworker has a sprint branded HTC EVO 4G and he has coverage there should be coverage with your sprint branded NEXUS S 4G. You can find a service and repair location by visiting http://www.sprint.com/storelocator. That way a trained tech can look at the device and see if there's something that needs to be corrected. You also have 14-30 days depending on where you purchased your device from (P.O.S. - Point of Sale) to bring it back and have it returned or exchanged. If purchased from Sprint directly you can visit http://www.sprint.com/landings/returns/?INTNAV=ATG:FT:30Day for more information. The SAMSUNG EPIC 4G would be the closest current device we carry similar not completely the same, but similar to the NEXUS S 4G.

Thanks for your comments ---- George

• 4. Signal Issues with Nexus S
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

dreamcat1138

Hi, I am also sorry to hear that you are having coverage issue with your sprint branded NEXUS S 4G. If you haven't already do so you can update the data profile, update prl and in addition you can check to see if there are any software updates. Update Data Profile Press Home > Menu, then tap Settings. Scroll up and tap About phone. Tap Sprint System Updates. Tap Update Profile. At the Update your profile screen, tap Update. Phone will check for updates and display Phone is activated! Tap Next to return to the home screen. View/Update PRL Version on Phone Press Home > Menu, then tap Settings. Scroll up and tap About phone. In About phone, tap Status. In Status, PRL version is displayed. To update PRL version, press Back arrow. Scroll up and tap Sprint System Updates. Tap Update PRL.
    At the Update your PRL screen, tap Update. Phone will check for updates and display Phone is activated! Tap Next to return to the home screen. Update Phone Software Press Home > Menu, then tap Settings. Scroll up and tap About phone. Tap System Updates. Tap the software version that displays. If no new software is available, screen will display Your system is currently up to date. Phone will check for updates and display Phone is activated!
    Tap Next to return to the home screen. If you are still experiencing the problem with coverage, you can visit http://www.sprint.com/storelocator and make an appointment to see a trained tech that can further assist you with the device.

Thank you very much ---- George

• 5. Re: Signal Issues with Nexus S
    craigwann Newbie

I just want to confirm that I am having this issue as well. Ironically, it is also at my office. When standing next to a coworker with an Evo, she gets perfect 3G, and I am on 1x. I tried restarting, and updating my profile and PRL. Is it time for me to take my Nexus back to Best Buy?

• 6. Re: Signal Issues with Nexus S

Well, I think I am going to call this one a Nexus S 4G issue, and not a Sprint coverage issue.  And it's going to take Samsung/Google to fix it, IMO.

My wife also was getting the same issue with no coverage in certain areas where other Sprint users were getting great coverage.
    So, last night we went into the local Sprint store.  Of course, in a Sprint store, you're going to get great coverage...unless you have a Nexus S 4G.

We had NO 4G, and only ONE BAR of 3G on our brand new Nexus S 4G's inside (and directly outside of) a Sprint store.
    The other Android 4G phones in the store had full bars on 4G and 3G.
    The employees said we were not the first to return the Nexus already, because of the antenna's lack of performance!
    So, we switched to the Evo 4G, and we both have great signals at work today.

Hopefully, they get this figured out, as I did like having Gingerbread and knowing my phone would get the Android updates first.
    But, I must say, I do like the improvements that HTC made to the Android interface.

So, buyer beware, the Nexus S 4G is probably not going to offer you great coverage unless they figure this out.

• 7. Re: Signal Issues with Nexus S

I tried all the Update PRL and Profile things.

I went back to the store and told them of my issue. They suggested they give me another Nexus S and wave the restocking fee... i decided against that and went with the HTC EVO Shift and I am at work today with at least 3 bars sometimes more. It's working great.... They did wave the restocking fee for me. So I was quite pleased with that but I didn't want to have to drive all the way up there again if it really was the device. Since I knew the EVO worked I figured the Shift would most likely.

So far I am very pleased. It is no where as snappy as the Nexus but it is a nice phone.

• 8. Signal Issues with Nexus S
    FLYENRW Newbie

I can also vouch for these same issues.  My brother has a EVO and phones were side by side, his had full evdo bars.  Mine had 2.  And the 4g access is the same.  At work we have 4g service, a friend has a evo, hes getting 5mbps+ on his, while mine is right next to it getting 1-2mbps and minimal bars.

• 9. Signal Issues with Nexus S
    LiLBit555 Expert

This is why I wait when new phones come out. I've been waiting for the Nexus S but I'm not liking this issue. My cell phone is my only phone and I expect it to work and get a signal. Sprint is truly going down hill.

• 10. Signal Issues with Nexus S
    corynexus Newbie

Same issue here. No signal at home, other phones work fine. Clearly an issue with the phone which is a shame, because otherwise it's great. I guess I'll be returning it...

• 11. Signal Issues with Nexus S
    Darealm Newbie

Same issue here! I had a better signal with my aging Pre than with this brand new Nexus! Sprint please help us out because this phone is awesome other than the signal. I'm going to have to return it now because I can't get a signal inside my office building in New Brunswick. I have gone from having great 3G coverage with my pre to no coverage with my Nexus. Also, the Wifi antenna on the nexus is weak as well, i'm less than 6 feet from my router yet i don't have a full wifi signal...

• 12. Signal Issues with Nexus S

Sprint,

Are you addressing this issue with Samsung?

• 13. Signal Issues with Nexus S
    menacekop Regular Visitor

I would not just give up all hope on the phone as some of you seem to be doing, if you have a defective phone take it in to have it replaced and have Sprint look into the issue for you.  My experiance has been the exact opposite, I actually manage to hold on to one bar of signal in a place where every other CDMA user around me is dead.

• 14. Signal Issues with Nexus S

Unfortunately, it wasn't just one phone.

Both Nexus S 4G's on my family plan were bad, and the two demo/employee Nexus phones in the store had the same issue.

To me and the Sprint store employees, it seemed like a consistent issue.

1 2 3 61 Previous Next