This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2011 4:46 PM by tomdeaver RSS

I can't login as Administrator using any browser under Mac OS X (Overdrive Pro)

alejandrormz Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Please help me, I can't manage my Overdrive Pro features using Mac OS X. I've been having to borrow a friend's PC to use Internet Explorer to do this, but this is not a sustainable option!

Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 2.05.08 PM.png

No matter what browser I use, I always get this error message under OS X (or in my iPad).

The browsers I am using are:

• Safari 5.0.5
  • Chrome 11.0.696.68
  • Firefox 4.0.1

• 1. I can't login as Administrator using any browser under Mac OS X (Overdrive Pro)
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Sorry to hear about your frustration.  Have you tried resetting the device?  We have test equipment, MacBook Pro running 10.5 and the Overdrive Pro.  When I start typing Overdrive in the address bar of Safari, it auto-completes with "Overdrive Pro Home - http//192.168.0.1/ .. I just hit enter and it takes me right to the admin page. 

Unfortunately, since it's working on a windows computer, it points back to your macs and issues with either "AutoFill Form" or Advanced Airport settings that may have been inadvertently saved and are now incorrect.  Try deleting the network from both your Mac and your iPad and readd it.  Go to apple.com/support and run a search for “Advanced Airport settings” for more information.  To reset your ODP, press and hold the reset button under the battery door for 5-10 seconds WHILE WATCHING THE FRONT SCREEN, press the power button to reset when prompted.  If you're successful with the reset, you'll see "Reset in progress".  If this does NOT resolve the issue, I would contact Mac for further assistance. 

Tom

Sprint Advanced Technical Support

• 2. I can't login as Administrator using any browser under Mac OS X (Overdrive Pro)
    alejandrormz Newbie

The reset didn't help.

I don't think it's a Mac vs. PC issue, I was able to reproduce the problem on my friend's Win 7 PC using Google Chrome, so it seems like it's a JavaScript compatibility issue with non-IE browsers.

Are there any settings in other browsers that I could use, or is there a chance that you guys can do a quick fix to allow Mac users to manage our devices?

Alejandro

• 3. I can't login as Administrator using any browser under Mac OS X (Overdrive Pro)
    alejandrormz Newbie

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard), and my Overdrive Pro has the latest firmware.

• 4. I can't login as Administrator using any browser under Mac OS X (Overdrive Pro)

We have tested this on our test Macs with the ODP and are unable to duplicate this issue.  What's interesting, is your screen shot that says, "invalid password."  Doesn't this indicate some sort of auto-complete or auto-login?  When you were able to duplicate this issue on your friends Windows 7 computer, was the error message the same, "invalid password?"  As I was testing this, the Mac I was using asked more than one time to use "Keychain" feature.  Have you checked this?  I found, from wikipedia, an articale describing this feature.  The error message indicates that instead of just landing you to the admin page, it's also trying to log you in at the same time.  And it may be using the wrong password.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keychain_(Mac_OS)

Tom

Sprint Advanced Technical Support

• 5. I can't login as Administrator using any browser under Mac OS X (Overdrive Pro)
    alejandrormz Newbie

Here are the steps that I am following which allow me to reproduce the issue in both Mac OS X and Windows 7 Professional (64 bits):

1) Open any browser in Mac OS X (Firefox, Safari or Chrome) and in Windows (Safari or Chrome), right after installing them

2) Navigate to http://192.168.0.1

landing_page.jpg

This is the page I see, and as you can see, there is nothing in the Admin password text input box, so the browser is not trying to log me in at the same time.

3) Enter the administrator password and click the OK button or press enter:

firefox_win7.jpg

This is Firefox 4 in Windows 7. Here is what the firefox error console throws:

• Warning: Expected declaration but found '*'.  Skipped to next declaration.
    • Source File: http://192.168.0.1/
    • Line: 0

chrome_win7.jpg

This is Chrome in Windows 7.

And here is the whole Chrome Console:

chrome_javascript_console.jpg

I'll try deleting the entry on my 2 Macs for the Keychain, but that option doesn't exist on my iPad. This is a major drawback, bad enough to make me have to return the equipment if I can't manage it from any of my personal devices at home.

If there are any log files you need I can find them, just point me in the right direction.

Alejandro

• 6. Re: I can't login as Administrator using any browser under Mac OS X (Overdrive Pro)
    alejandrormz Newbie

Tom,

My problem is solved, after doing some thinking I changed my administrator's password to not use special characters and now it works on all browsers and across platforms.

The device says that the administrator password can be any character from: "a-z, A-Z, 0-9, `~!@#$%^&*()[]{};:,.-_", but the last part of special characters did not work for non-Internet Explorer browsers.

Please keep this in mind for other users who may experience this issue.

Thanks,

Alejandro

• 7. Re: I can't login as Administrator using any browser under Mac OS X (Overdrive Pro)

Thanks so much for the info ~ alejandrormz ~ I will post this in our internal forums for trending issues. 

Tom

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...