This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2010 12:12 PM by torysims11 RSS

picture mail = data usage?

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hello, Do i get charged for sending/recieving pic msg's? I'm asking because everytime i send a picture it connects me to the internet. Also do they charge if i download the pics? The plan i have is the Talk/Message Share 1500 if it helps?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    wingland Sprint Admin

Yes, both sending and recieving pictures use data - at a very expensive rate!

If you don't have a data plan, you will find some unexpected suprises on your account.  I'd suggest hitting the 'click to chat' button to check with customer care and see if you have a data plan on your account, and if not,  add one.  

• 2. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    Regular Visitor

well this is direct from the site. It says i can picture msg but im not sure if my phone palm centro can send them with out the data plan, since it always connects me to the internet.

Message Edited by Rellab on 10-15-2008 12:15 PM
    Message Edited by MikeLee on 10-15-2008 02:49 PM

• 3. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

The Talk/Message plans should not charge your for data usage related to PictureMail and VideoMail. ANY other data usage you will be charged for.

• 4. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    Regular Visitor

Ok thank you. Does that include downloading the pictures to my phone?

• 5. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

It should cover any data usage with the picture and video mail servers. My guess it is a whitelist so those sites are removed from the charge list at the end of the billing cycle.

• 6. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    Regular Visitor

thanks.

• 7. Re: picture mail = data usage?

i understand this problem, we switched a few months ago to the talk/message share plan and have had troubles every month and this month they are rude and it is happening on both plans in our home. my charges for the 5 phones add up to over 200 and i shouldnt have to pay for something i am already paying for but they dont seem too care anymore

• 8. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    mhills Regular Visitor

It is discouraging that this happens to you every month. I upgradedour family plan to the Talk/Message plan and when it went into effect I did a test. I first checked online and none of our phones showed data usage. Then I sent picture mail back and forth between 3 of our phones. Two of the phones required us to click a link and connect to the internet to view the photo. The third phone handled it like MMS.

I checked our online usage again and sure enough the two phones that had to click on the link now showed data usage. The 3rd phone did not. When I received the bill this month, indeed the casual data usage in exact bytes was there and I was charged for it.

I emailed ecare and they wrote back:

"The picture mail option is included for free in the service plan
    Talk/Message Share 1500. The account is not charged for the data access
    for sending and receiving the Picture mails.

The Casual Data charge is a charge incurred for accessing Internet (data
    usage) on your phone. Whenever, the Internet is accessed on a phone
    without a data pack, a default charge of $0.03 per Kilo Byte for data
    transfer is applicable. The data usage is generally incurred for the
    following data transactions:

- Downloading content such as ringers, screensavers and games

- Accessing the web and email applications etc.

- Browsing the Internet"

They did refund the casual data charges but indicated this was because I've been a loyal customer and I was unaware of the charges.To to tell the truth, I'm still unaware! If I have to pay extra to see the photos on certain phones, then Picture Mail isn't "free".</p>

• 9. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    Gold Expert

I've got news for ya:

PICTUREMAIL IS NOT FREE! Sadly, you had to find out the hard way. Basically, it appears that Sprint is determined to nickel and dime us all into either adopting one of the Everything plans, or to cease being a customer. Well...we'll see what happens.

• 10. Re: picture mail = data usage?

I understand this problem to. I also switched and have 4 phones on my talk/message share plan. I have been on the phone with sprint for several months trying to resolve issues over data charges getting different answers every time. I drove an hour and a half to the nearest sprint store location yesterday. I visited two stores they both told me the opposite answer to the question[is the picture mail free with this plan].

I called sprint again, I currently have blocked the internet [again] on all phones and suppose to be able to send picture mail with out data charges. We have seriously lost sleep over this. I just got the new rant for the kids, and was actually told by one sprint agent that it was because of the phones that we have and she suggested taking them back and getting phones that werent vision....I was speachless! I had sprint for several years with no problem but the last year has been a night mare.

I hope this workswith out data charges, or I am for sure leaving sprint.

• 11. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    Valued Member

Sending and receiving picture mail with the Everything Messaging Family (formally the Talk/Message/Share plans), Everything Data (formally the Everything Plans) Simply Everything or the Everything Messaging (formally the Talk/Message/Connect) plans should not cause any data charges for sending/receiving picture or video mail. If you upload the pictures this does cause data charges but sending and receiving does not. If you are being charged for this this matter may be researched further to make sure there is not a system issue.

• 12. Re: picture mail = data usage?

Thank You, but this is Talk/message share 1500 -$99.99 plan there is no data in this plan unless you add and pay extra.

How ever it includes picture mail but I was being charged for data. I have the internet blocked and am hoping we can use the picture mail free as included in the plan with out data charges.

• 13. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    Valued Member

Gram check your PM.

• 14. Re: picture mail = data usage?
    Regular Visitor

Ok so now i got charged for data usuage and the only time i have used "data" was when i would send a picture msg. This is BS and im going to call sprints cs service.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points