1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 6:18 PM by mmmthasgood RSS

LG Optimus S charging issue

Anrosado360 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

As of a few days ago, I've been having an issue with my Optimus S. It seems that after plugging in the mini usb to the phone it starts to charge. But, after a few minutes it stops charging. I've tried plugging it into my PC and it charges a bit longer but eventually stops charging (around 80%). Any ideas what could be causing it to stop charging after a few minutes of being plugged in...?

• 1. LG Optimus S charging issue
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

It sounds like a task killer app has started inadvertently killing the task which controls charging. If I'm right, and it's software, you would notice that you won't have this problem if the device is plugged in, but not powered on.

• 2. LG Optimus S charging issue

Well, the phone is only about 2 weeks old. I'm still getting familiar with the phone and I the only apps I have downloaded were Total Equipment Protection app and the Facebook app.

• 3. LG Optimus S charging issue
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

Those apps should be harmless. If you confirmed it's not software related (charged it while powered off), it would either be the charger, or the charging port. If it's the charging port you would want to have it serviced immediately as it very well may escalate to the point of constituting physical damage. If you catch it early enough you should be able to have it serviced through your manufacturer's warranty.

• 4. LG Optimus S charging issue

I decided to charge with the phone off. It started charging from 72% and it showed it had full charge while it was off after 20 minutes.. When i turned it on, it showed it charged up to 76%...

• 5. LG Optimus S charging issue
    robotaholic Gold Expert

If the device is only 2 weeks old and you are having charging issues, I recommend that you do a 30 day exchange.  Your brand new Optimus should be working perfectly.  The battery has to last for 2 years!  There is no restocking charge since you are having technical problems.  I hope that helps!

• 6. LG Optimus S charging issue
    beliving Bronze Expert

I agree with RobotAholic.  Do your exchange within 30 days for free.  The Optimus should be working great.

While you are at it, I recommend to remove the Total Equipment Protection plan from your phone.  It's $7/month, and they will charge you $50 to replace your phone if it needs replacement.  For about $90, you can just buy your own replacement Optimus off Ebay.  I've had my Optimus for 7 months now, and have not had to visit the Sprint store.  So, I've already saved $49 (7x7) by not having TEP, and if my phone breaks, I've already passed the breakeven point.

In my calculation, TEP for the Optimus only makes sense if you think you will drop your phone in the toilet more often than every 6 months.

• 7. LG Optimus S charging issue
    needy69 Newbie

i have thes same problem except i have had my phone for almost two months now

• 8. LG Optimus S charging issue

Well, I went to the Sprint repair center and they told me that the battery was deffective. They had to order one since they did not have one in stock and received it within 2 days. The phone hold its charge and charged normally for a couple of days and then it started doing it again, and the worst part is that it loses charge faster than it did before while connected... Going back today to see what they can do.

• 9. Re: LG Optimus S charging issue

I went to the Sprint repair center yesterday and they replaced the battery, AGAIN. When I got home the phone was charging normal so I guess it "fixed" the issue, until I woke up this morning and saw that it was NOT charging again and it had drained the battery from FULL charge down to 12%. I decided to go back to the repair center and they replaced my charging unit, USB cable, and a new battery. As soon as I got back from the Sprint store, I plugged the charger to the wall outlet, plugged the phone and left it to charge. So I decided to check on the phone and it STOPPED charging again. So I guess I'll be going back to the repair center tomorrow.

• 10. Re: LG Optimus S charging issue
    wait31 Newbie

I am having the same issues. What I found is that the phone often shows "charging(USB)" status even if it's charged with AC. It's so annoying.

• 11. LG Optimus S charging issue
    MELLISSA3600 Newbie

I'm just downright furious! I can't get it to charge past 12% and when it does it sucks it. I am so sick of crappy phones.

• 12. LG Optimus S charging issue
    USERDENIED08 Newbie

yea i went to the repair center and they got rid of the Advanced Task Killer and said everything works just fine.  2 hours later it still wouldn't charge... this is very annoying.

• 13. LG Optimus S charging issue

I got tired of going to the repair center and just returned the phone since I was still within the 30 day return policy, and got me an HTC EVO.

• 14. LG Optimus S charging issue
    BRIANH1387 Newbie

I have an issue where a non usb wall charger works perfect but plugging any of the 4 usb chargers I have into it and they stop working if the phone is moved or just stop working after a while in general. The cables are fine because they work perfectly for every other phone I have ever plugged them into and one is brand new. I also have an issue where it takes about 30 min for a full charge (it lasts like a full charge though), have had issues too where it will say battery is less than 5%, I plug it in and magically it charges to 40 something percent within seconds, and the charge lasts for like an hour after immediately unplugging. It's the strangest thing I have ever seen. Any of you Sprint techies or phone techies have any explinations/solutions?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...