This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 11:20 AM by fireguy_6364 RSS

HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G

Bob__G Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

Give US EVO 4G users Sprint ID too, and allow us to remove all the BS... (for that matter get rid of enough of the bloatware to make enoughe room for HTC to add a newer sense)

http://www.androidcentral.com/dont-want-bloatware-your-evo-3d-simply-uninstall-them-no-root-required

Shocking, we know, but it appears as though Sprint and/or HTC have gone a step above with the EVO 3D and made it really easy to remove extra -- without requiring the device to be rooted.

Folks are reporting in our forums that all you have to do is go to your application list, (settings then applications) and then simply uninstall it as you would any other application that you downloaded or installed. The only application you're not able to delete is Sprint ID. But, hey, compared to being stuck with all the rest, that isn't so bad. So, what are you waiting for, get to removing, and let us know how it goes in the forums!

Source: Android Central Forums

• 1. HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    Vapst3r Regular Visitor

Yep u sure can remove it, i just removed Blockbuster from mine, might me one of the happiest days of my life!!!

• 2. HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    fireguy_6364 Master

what phone did you have before the 3D and what are your thoughts so far?

• 3. HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    Firehawk_1066 Valued Member

Come on people post in this thread and keep it going so sprint sees that this is a big issue. Many people root only to be able to remove this **** we are forced to have on OUR phones that we dont want.

Give us a break sprint, let us get rid of unwanted apps like you are allowing with the EVO 3D...PLEASE!!!!!!

• 4. HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    rick.spencer Bronze Expert

BobG9638 wrote:

Give US EVO 4G users Sprint ID too, and allow us to remove all the BS... (for that matter get rid of enough of the bloatware to make enoughe room for HTC to add a newer sense)

http://www.androidcentral.com/dont-want-bloatware-your-evo-3d-simply-uninstall-them-no-root-required

Shocking, we know, but it appears as though Sprint and/or HTC have gone a step above with the EVO 3D and made it really easy to remove extra -- without requiring the device to be rooted.

Folks are reporting in our forums that all you have to do is go to your application list, (settings then applications) and then simply uninstall it as you would any other application that you downloaded or installed. The only application you're not able to delete is Sprint ID. But, hey, compared to being stuck with all the rest, that isn't so bad. So, what are you waiting for, get to removing, and let us know how it goes in the forums!

Source: Android Central Forums

DITTO +1

• 5. Re: HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    swanrunner1 Regular Visitor

I went into my Sprint store last weekend with Gingerbread issues. Ended up walking out with a pre order on a new Evo 3D, which I just picked up last night.  They gave me a one time Premier Silver 12 month upgrade and bought back my old Evo for $150 so I end up paying $50 for the new phone. I have 30 days and if I don't like, it they will give me a new Evo 4g. This phone rocks, it is worth the Sense 3.0 and the bloatware delete option alone. the 3D is fun to play with but this would still be a fantastic phone without it.  Thank you Sprint, this is a keeper.

• 6. Re: HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    Silver Expert

This is like getting slapped really hard in the face, where it keeps stinging for like 15 minutes, then your face swells up with a hand print.  We fought and fought and fought since the Hero to remove the bloatware from our phones and Sprint just non-chalantly throws it in the Evo3D and puts some lame tweet out there linking to the Android Central article saying they listened to their customers.  Ridiculous that the Evo 4G wouldn't have gotten this in the last update.  maybe they were too focused on filling it with bugs that they couldn't add the delete permissions to those apps.  grrrr......

• 7. HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    VESPA731 Expert

This is indeed a slap in the face to most of us long time Sprint members. I was told many times by Sprint Reps at stores and via telephone that the 'bloatware' on my Hero and my 4G were unremoveable.  That there was no way to take these off due to 'sponsorships' and other annoying factors. And here the new 3D lets you do so with no problem!?!??!? What an insult. Of all the times I've been told by a Sprint Rep that "it's not possible other than to root your phone, but by doing so, you void the warranty" - 3D owners are given the right to a privilege to choose what apps to keep and what apps not to keep. This scheme may entice more customers to go all out and purchase a 3D. Only problem is that most of us who bought an EVO around December or January (like myself) have to wait another half year to year to get another hardware upgrade discount. Oy vey.

• 8. HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    phillymade Newbie

I have a rooted EVO 4g. I din't root to get rid of the blot, I rooted to make My Device MINE. I have it set up for me the way I want it. Getting rid of the blot was just an extra. In addition to rooting, I have been running problem free Gingerbread and Sense 3.0 for several months before the "official" release. My EVO also runs at 90-110 MB RAM, better than stock. So I rooted for speed and efficancy. I have not looked back.

• 9. HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    tennis-freak Valued Member

If Sprint forces me to buy a new phone in order to get rid of bloatware I wont be renewing my contract with Sprint, I will take my business elsewhere.

I dont play that game of screwing your customers with current offerings and only enabling requested features in new hardware as a way of keeping people locked into a contractual agreement. Bad busienss practice Sprint!!!!

I switched from Verizon for very similar reasons and was hoping since Sprint was a smaller carrier they would try harder to make customers happy and not try and drain them of every ounce of freedom and money they had.  Over the last year Sprint has become increasingly restrictive and greedy.

Everyday looks more and more like Metro PCS is going to be my next option.

• 10. HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    fireguy_6364 Master

FYI. there is a good possibility metro will get bought out by at&t. so either they will have better coverage..or you'll have to pay more for the same thing lol.

• 11. Re: HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    phefner79 Expert

For those that don't know, it's actually pretty simple for HTC/Sprint to allow us to remove the apps. On the EVO 4G, all of the bloatware is stored in a system folder, that is only accessible by root. All they did, on the 3D, was move the bloatware to a system folder that is accessible by the user. This could be very simple to do for the EVO 4G as well. All they have to do is have HTC package the bloat into this same user accessible directory and POOF, bye bye bloatware .

I personally, would like to see this, as well as the option to get the EVO 4G without Sense, and just the Stock android UI. Sprint has to buy Sense updates anyway, so it could save them some $$$ and give us consumers more choices!

• 12. HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    fireguy_6364 Master

if only. i might look into the 3D even though the camera sucks compared to the current one. didnt someone say that the 3D is having the same issues as the 4G with the gingerbread version they put on it? or are they getting the actual 2.3.4 or whatever its supposed to be?

• 13. HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    Red- Regular Visitor

Please add me to the list of dissatisfied customers due to bloatware. Unfortunately I just became a Sprint customer, transferred 2 numbers from Verizon, and got 2 HTC Evo 4G's.  I regret the decision and WILL NOT renew with Sprint.  Hopefully Altell will be available in my area again by the time my Sprint contract expires.

After spending several hours researching how to get the unwanted apps (that shouldn't be on my phone anyway ) off my phone, I find that the only option is "rooting it" which voids the warranties.  I would NOT have purchased these phones if I had known they were loaded with a bunch of commercial spy apps that have "permission" to access ALL my data and can't be removed. 

I'm so agered by being stuck in a contract that STEALS my data and sells it to Blockbuster, NASCAR, NOVA and other crapware companies that I have spent hours posting "SPRINT SCAM" warnings to every site that posts reviews.

I'm seriously thinking of taking Sprint to Small Claims Court to get out of my contract based on the unremovable bloatware and spy apps.

• 14. Re: HTC EVO 3D can uninstall bloatware? HTC/Sprint PLEASE do this for the EVO 4G
    sprintuser793756 Newbie

+1 Why do companies insist on making enemies of their customers? Just a bit of priority to customers over profits, and millions of customers would flow in their direction. If someone would file a lawsuit, I would be pleased to join the action. Sprint legal, are you listening? Maybe the way to Sprint's heart is through its legal department.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...