9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2012 9:10 PM by watsonrich RSS

wifi calling?

phoenix215476 Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

with sprint, are you able to make/receive calls while connected to wifi? does it cost anything extra? do you have to set something up?

• 1. wifi calling?
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

Yes you can make calls while connected to wifi.  It does not cost anything extra to do this.  the only thing you have to set up is the wifi connection  

• 2. wifi calling?
    phoenix215476 Valued Member

thanks for the response. i'd never heard of "wifi calling" before, but on the tmobile board they're acting like it's something special that not all phones can do and it takes something special to set up even if your phone can do it... i've been using an iPhone 3G on at&t for the past three years and i've always been able to make/receive calls while connected to wifi and i never had to do anything special or set anything up

• 3. wifi calling?
    FEELTHESWEETBEA Newbie

wifi calling is using wifi to make a call when in low to no coverage areas...  not exactly what you were thinking which was using wifi for internet access while calling on the GSM or CDMA or whichever cell network

• 4. wifi calling?
    fireguy_6364 Master

that would be pretty useful for the people in the more "rural" areas/ on the border of roaming and not roaming. myself included.

• 5. wifi calling?
    FEELTHESWEETBEA Newbie

I will be switching to Tmobile for that specific reason. I get no service in my house or at work, but there is wifi

• 6. wifi calling?
    jj14x Valued Member

@phoenix215476

Calling over wifi - As Feelthesweetbea explained, there are two different 'features'

Can you make a call over the sprint network while you are connected to your wifi? Sure! Any phone will do that.

Can you make a call over wifi (not using sprint minutes)m while you are connected to your wifi? Not by default. On T-mobile, there are some phones that will let you do that. But not all. On Sprint, they do not have such a feature (unless you get the airave and pay the monthly extra for making unlimited calls over that)

You can instead get an app like GrooveIP that will let you make and receive calls over wifi (or even over 3g/4g if you have good data speeds). You'll need to get a (free) google voice # to use with GrooveIP though.

@Feelthesweetbea, if you don't have any service at home or work, why did you even select Sprint as your carrier? (Unless you moved after getting service). If I didn't have service at home or work, I'd have dropped Sprint a long time ago.

• 7. Re: wifi calling?
    ZX-10Rider Expert

This article explains it nicely...

http://www.gadling.com/2010/11/09/wi-fi-calling-app-t-mobile-android-best-travel/

Republish Wireless, http://republicwireless.com/, and its $19 a month service, relies on it heavily.  However, their phones (made specifically for them) do not have the same issue as T-Mobile where a call gets dropped once outside of the Wi-Fi hotspot range.  They use Sprints network.

• 8. wifi calling?
    FEELTHESWEETBEA Newbie

@ jj14x,  Recent change of residence and work... selection of sprint occured 7 years ago. Ill check into GrooveIP because id rather not switch.

• 9. Re: wifi calling?
    watsonrich Newbie

Apparently, other services are offering VOIP calling that is seamless with your regular phone service.  We live in a house where sprint service is terrible, but have long contracts.  If WIFI is available, our Internet is very fast and it would help immensely.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points