This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2011 3:39 PM by Adam5182 RSS

Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile

GreggAlan Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

When I dial *2 it says there's a profile and a PRL update available bit it will not update either one. All I get is Network Error, Unknown Error or Internal Error. I've two of these phones that came with Android 2.2.1. Using the System Updates under About Phone does exactly the same thing, different one of those three error messages each time.

The updates worked right out of the box when I got the phones, but since that first time all I get is the error messages.

Where I live there's 3G service, which has only been available since shortly before I got these phones. Which is why I switchched from the company which starts with V, until Sprint finally got 3G here, V was the only one with 3G here - and I wasn't about to pay them another $30 a month! (Unlimited everything except to/from landlines on Sprint for little more than I was paying V for voice only, not even texting!) No 4G here yet from Sprint or anyone else.

• 1. Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello g_alan_e, at this time you should expect to see unknown error while trying to update your PRL or profile at this time we advise halt all use of the Update PRL option on the device, Sprint is investigating the issue currently and more information will be provided as it becomes available.

• 2. Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    Adam5182 Newbie

I haven't been able to update PRL or Profile since like May(ish).... When is Sprint going to come out with a fix for this??? It's rather annoying since a tower just when up by my work to which I barely get service in.

• 3. Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    GreggAlan Regular Visitor

I called customer service, which tried to push the PRL update but even that failed. Also tried several other things to try to force it to update but all that did was un-program the phone so had to manually re-activate it.

I suspect it has something to do with my Epics having numbers ported from Verizon. Whatever the problem is, Sprint needs to get a fix out SOON. How about restoring the EPST function that Android 2.1 had?

I was on a trip to Oklahoma City the middle of July and could not get any 4G signal, likely due to the outdated PRL. Sprint told me I'd better be able to get 4G in OKC because that's where their company headquarters is!

• 4. Re: Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

An out of date PRL will have little or, more likely, no  effect on 3G coverage and no effect at all on 4G service. It's very unlikely that you would experience any problems due to an out-of-date PRL. As far as updating the Data Profile; this is done to download the 3G data settings to the device. If your 3G web is working, a data profile update will have no effect.

Oklahoma City has no official 4G coverage but it does have a certain amount of 4G testing taking place all over the city. You can view user created 4G maps if you download an app called Sensorly. I hope this helps!

• 5. Re: Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    csv01 Valued Member

Well as of August 2nd the PRL update is still not working? What is going on with this?

• 6. Re: Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

at this time you should expect to see unknown error while trying to update your PRL or profile at this time we advise halt all use of the Update PRL option on the device, The pending software release should correct this when it is made available.

• 7. Re: Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    bkelly64 Newbie

The solution is to go to the regular phone dial screen then type in is ##72786# . This will bring up a screen where you will need to enter the MSL for your phone (get MSL number from Sprint). This will leave your data, applications, settings etc. intact but will wipe the Sprint data and put you back in activation mode. This solves the PRL or Firmware update problem and is known by some Sprint reps.

This soulution is also posted in this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/321061   and a few others...

Apparently doing ##786# will clear their data AND all of yours if that is what you want to do...

• 8. Re: Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    jamesdcooke Newbie

It's been off and on for the past month or so with not anything wanting to update.  This is INSANE!  I have been happy with Sprint until now.  Seems like everytime there is a "new" better phone this happens more often.  Fix the issues!  Or credit all the customers accordingly for improper services to the phones!

• 9. Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    SmithE2011 Newbie

Any idea when this problem will be fixed?? I am having the same issue and have been for months. I really want to be able to update my phone.

• 10. Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    Adam5182 Newbie

Soooooo any word on when we will get a effing fix?????  Samsung and Sprint have horrible updates with this phone....

• 11. Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

At this time no announcement has been made as to when the software update will be released, and you should keep in mind the preferred roaming list version generally will have no effect on your coverage from sprint's network, if you are in an area that requires a PRL update for roaming, or affiliate's coverage you are welcome to have it updated in a service center. 

• 12. Re: Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile
    Adam5182 Newbie

So with Gingerbread "supposively" coming to the epic at sometime, it keeps coming up errors when I try to update firmware,profile,prl. If and when Gingerbread is release and pushed OTA will my phone be able to update? Or am I going to be forced to go into a Sprint Service Center and deal with techs and let them wipe my phone and lose everything for the 5th time?

I also do not find it funny and think it's looks bad on sprint's and samsungs part when my phone says "A profile update is available, update now to ensure full access to the network and data services"  and then it comes up with a error every time. So in essence I have a defective phone. I take it to Sprint Customer Care and they to a "hard reset" I lose all my apps and blah blah blah.... Problem still not fixed.... sorry for venting but this has been a problem for quite a while now and I've tried to be patient but it's starting to really make me mad.... idc if updating profile and prl  "doesn't really do much", If my phone says there is a update I want to be able to update it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points