1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2012 3:42 PM by HlREDGUN RSS

Photon 4G - turns off

JC-1974 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I just got my phone about 8 hours ago, and it has turned off & rebooted itself 4 times while trying to add my optonline email acoount, trying to add the Motorola Messages widget to home screen & gmail widget. It turned off also while just browsing the phone.

Anyone has gotten the same luck.

UPDATE:      The phone has also issues with the GPS & Airvana device. While at home my GPS (TelNav & Google Maps) dont work properly and tells me i'm somewhere in CT while i'm in NY.

Also the Wifi misterously turns on after i shut it down.

UPDATE:

1st Phone lasted less 24 hrs.

2nd Phone lasted 7-days ( i was lazy to go back to Sprint Store) - other issue.

3rd phone only 2-days.

THANKS SPRINT/MOTOROLA: i should have gone thru 10+ photons before my 30-days are up.

• 1. Re: Photon 4G - turns off
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

I haven't seen any reports of such. Could it be an app that's running in the background? Have you installed any task killers, launchers or anti-virus? If not, I would definitely try a factory data reset. This can be done in the Privacy Settings. Be aware that it will delete all device memory, such as contacts, and restores all settings to default.

• 2. Photon 4G - turns off
    JC-1974 Regular Visitor

No i havent added any task killer (phone brings App call Task Manger) or Apps. The GPS funtion under TelNav is now saying: GPS not available. I'm in Bronx and it picks up my location as Thomaston CT. My old crappy Hero begings to look better.

• 3. Photon 4G - turns off
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

I would definitely try the factory reset considering the various odd software issues you're having.

• 4. Photon 4G - turns off
    Th3Phoenix Silver Expert
  • 5. Photon 4G - turns off
    JC-1974 Regular Visitor

Just to Update everyone, i walked into a Sprint store and they were happy to exchange my new Photon for another NEW PHOTON. I will begin set up as soon as the battery charges. Keep you all posted.

• 6. Photon 4G - turns off
    PHOTOSTYLE213 Newbie

Mine has been doing this as well, seemingly related to 3G service toggling/acquisition. I'm taking a friends advice and doing a factory reset tonight. We'll see if that help at all.

• 7. Photon 4G - turns off
    dclineluther Newbie

Mine just goes dark....once I plug in chord it shows "charging."  So, one wonders whether the battery indicator is right...or if the battery is being quickly drained?

I will pay attention to this today...but maybe I will have to take it to sprint???

DC

• 8. Photon 4G - turns off
    Th3Phoenix Silver Expert

DAVID2102549 wrote:

Mine just goes dark....once I plug in chord it shows "charging."  So, one wonders whether the battery indicator is right...or if the battery is being quickly drained?

I will pay attention to this today...but maybe I will have to take it to sprint???

DC

For more accurate battery indicator you may want to try the free circle battery app from the market

https://market.android.com/details?id=ch.blinkenlights.battery

• 9. Photon 4G - turns off
    OUalum2011 Newbie

This is ********....we shouldn't HAVE TO keep doing a factory reset everytime the crappy phone freezes up. If this is the case, then we would be factory reseting EVERYDAY! I did not buy this phone and get rid of my EVO to keep going through this **** of my phone freezing up and shutting down all the time!!!!

• 10. Photon 4G - turns off
    sprintcolby Newbie

The phone could be awesome, minus the constant reboots, power offs, won't turn on even though it just had a full charge and now when I plug it back in says it's at 0%. I'm sick of it. I paid for what!?

• 11. Photon 4G - turns off
    CWachs Newbie

I think I may be on to a possible cause.  I've factory reset the device to start fresh.  It seems to work fine UNTIL I turn on GPS.  As soon as the GPS radio is activated, the next time the phone powers down the display, it won't wake back up again and it gets very hot.

This is with no 3rd party apps installed and no customization of the phone.  I've now started adding my apps back one by one to see if any of them trigger the sleep of death as well but so far, it seems to be GPS radio related.  If I fire up an application that uses GPS, problem comes back (Maps for example, or the local feature in www.google.com in the browser).

Anyone else out there with the sleep of death problem, try turning off the GPS radio and don't use any apps that access GPS and see if the problem goes away.

• 12. Photon 4G - turns off
    sprintcolby Newbie

So far the only variable that has even come close is the presence of an SD card, but even then it has happened without an SD card inserted.  I don't have my GPS on at all.

• 13. Photon 4G - turns off
    CWachs Newbie

So much for that.  I don't have an SD card in mine - never have.  I can pretty reliably cause the sleep of death by turning on GPS and changing nothing else.  There may just be some bum hardware batches out there.

• 14. Photon 4G - turns off
    SunnySD92101 Valued Member

Look, it's time for Sprint/Moto to confirm a bug in some or all their Photon 4g phones. If you search all the relevant Motorola, XDA, Android and Sprint User forums, you will see many people STILL having problems with random reboots and phones that won't wake-up (aka "Sleep of Death").

I implore the Forum Admins here to contact Motorola and Sprint engineers to get an official response. The OTA from August 2011, DID NOT FIX THE PHOTON 4G.

In case you are wandering, yes I've done all the snake-oil tricks that don't work. I'm sending my Photon to Motorola and will continue to do so until it is either fixed or I get a refund from Moto.

What Say You Sprint?

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...