This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM by Darrtel RSS

How can i get better reception in my home or buildings?

Darrtel Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

First I'd like to say I have a HTC EVO 4G. When ever I'm at home or in buildings I have 2-3 bars at all times and when i use the internet the videos and pages take quite a while to load. (Luckly, we have wifi in our house that greatly helps out.) However when I'm out and about my phone sits at 4-6 bars at all times. We switched from verizon because it got a little priceE and my mom couldn't pay for it any longer but no matter where I was my internet for my was phone extremely fast. I really like the phone and what it can do but it would be a REAL shame if I was held back because of sprints service. Please if anyone has any suggestions please help. Also when I'm downstairs in my basement the bars are just sitting down at 1-2, sometimes 0.

• 1. How can i get better reception in my home or buildings?
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

HI,

What is the zipcode of your home? Also you can update the profile and update the prl. Powercycle the device and this may help as well.

----George

• 2. How can i get better reception in my home or buildings?
    Mr.Sprintastic Sprint Employee

Darrtel,

If you are having issues with coverage at your home the Airrave is a possible solution for you.  You can go to http://www.sprint.com/landings/airave_eligibility/index.htmlto determine eligibility and to find out more information on this device.  To order an Airave you can contact (866) 240-5176.

Thanks,

-Ron

• 3. How can i get better reception in my home or buildings?
    Darrtel Newbie

SprintCares wrote:

HI,

What is the zipcode of your home? Also you can update the profile and update the prl. Powercycle the device and this may help as well.

----George

What is the prl and how do i find it? Also Mr Sprintastic I have wifi in my house and it's really great but I just want to be able to use sprints network to the best of it's ability instead of handicapping it.

• 4. How can i get better reception in my home or buildings?
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

Hi,

To find the update PRL and update PROFILE options go to MENU > SETTINGS > STATUS UPDATES > The 2 options will be listed there.

----George    

• 5. How can i get better reception in my home or buildings?
    BILLKASLER Newbie

I really love it when you give instructions and one begins to follow them only to find that there is no "status-update" available?

• 6. How can i get better reception in my home or buildings?
    Mr.Sprintastic Sprint Employee

BILLKASLER,

To update PRL or data profile on the HTC EVO the steps are Menu>settings>system updates>update PRL (or Update profile).  PRL stands for preferred Roaming List and is essentially a roadmap to the roaming towers that Sprint currently carries alliances with.

Darrtel,

Connecting your device to Wifi will allow you device to transmit and receive data from your device such as email and browser data but it will not change your voice and SMS service. 

What the Airave device does it essentially create a mini tower inside your residence that connects to Sprints network through your existing high speed internet connection. Once you have gone through the easy installation process and power on the device you phone will automatically connect to the Airave access point once your within range.  Most users who have these deices experience full bars no matter where they are in there home.

Thanks,

-Ron

• 7. How can i get better reception in my home or buildings?
    neurocutie Regular Visitor

A critical piece of missing info is that when you are home and talking about slow data, are you trying to use 4G (WiMax) ?

Because 2-3 bars of signal is PLENTY to get decent performance from Sprint. However if you've switched from 4G to 3G in your house, of course it is going to be slower -- for at least two reasons. First, 3G is of course intrinsically slower, but also there is oftem much more congestion on the 3G Sprint network... sometimes in some areas it is unuseable.

This point is also critical for solutions. If you are talking about weak 4G signal, sorry there really isn't any solution. An Airave will not fix your 4G signal. AFAIK there are no affordable 4G repeaters.

If you are talking about 3G EVDO signal as being the issue, first, 2-3 bars is plenty. If it is slow, it is probably NOT because of signal, but rather congestion. There is really nothing you can do about congestion other than complain.

If you really think that it is a 3G signal issue, you can try an Airave, and it will certain improve signal in your basement. However Airave's have their own set of problems, some quite serious. Also it is a little stupid to use an Airave which gets its Internet from your OWN Internet service and turns it into an EVDO signal and you are probably passing packets from your ISP to Sprint back to your Airave to your device, when, as you have already realized, just using WiFi which is a direct connection between you and and your own ISP, is going to be MUCH MUCH faster anyways.

• 8. How can i get better reception in my home or buildings?
    Darrtel Newbie

neurocutie wrote:

A critical piece of missing info is that when you are home and talking about slow data, are you trying to use 4G (WiMax) ?

Because 2-3 bars of signal is PLENTY to get decent performance from Sprint. However if you've switched from 4G to 3G in your house, of course it is going to be slower -- for at least two reasons. First, 3G is of course intrinsically slower, but also there is oftem much more congestion on the 3G Sprint network... sometimes in some areas it is unuseable.

This point is also critical for solutions. If you are talking about weak 4G signal, sorry there really isn't any solution. An Airave will not fix your 4G signal. AFAIK there are no affordable 4G repeaters.

If you are talking about 3G EVDO signal as being the issue, first, 2-3 bars is plenty. If it is slow, it is probably NOT because of signal, but rather congestion. There is really nothing you can do about congestion other than complain.

If you really think that it is a 3G signal issue, you can try an Airave, and it will certain improve signal in your basement. However Airave's have their own set of problems, some quite serious. Also it is a little stupid to use an Airave which gets its Internet from your OWN Internet service and turns it into an EVDO signal and you are probably passing packets from your ISP to Sprint back to your Airave to your device, when, as you have already realized, just using WiFi which is a direct connection between you and and your own ISP, is going to be MUCH MUCH faster anyways.

O I don't have 4G where I live.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points