This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2012 12:25 PM by mharrismj RSS

Samsung Epic not recognized by computer

RONALDS173 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

When I first connected my Samsung Epic 4G to my computer, (HP Pavillion running Windows Vista 64bit), it downloaded the necessary drivers. When I plug the phone into the computer with the Samsung provided USB cable I  get a screen asking if I want to charge the phone, access the mass storage device or use it to tether. Since I want to be able to move pictures to and from my phone I always click on "access mass storage device" but the phone isn't recognized by the computer so I can't transfer and pictures from the phone to my computer or vice-versa. I should also mention that I have followed the directions for doing this listed by both Sprint and Samsung...IT JUST DOESN'T WORK!! Does anybody know how to do this???

• 1. Samsung Epic not recognized by computer
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

The "drivers" that were downloaded and added to your computer are ONLY for tethering.  Since this is not what you want to do, uninstall the drivers from programs and features while the phone is NOT connected.  Then plug the phone back in, and tap " mass storage."  Window should respond with a popup near the system tray, "found new hardware" and install the appropriate "universal drivers."

Tom

• 2. Samsung Epic not recognized by computer

I can't delete these drives while the phone is NOT connected since they don't appear when it's not connected. What I see in the Device Manager when the phone is connect is, under USB: Samsung USB Composite Device. Also, ONLY when the phone is connected do I see a PORTS listing in the Device Manager. When I open/click on it I see Samsung Mobile Modem Diagnostic Serial Port (WDM) (COM6). Also, again only when the phone is connected, under MODEMS I see Samsung Mobile Modem.

Since you noted in another response that I shouldn't have to download a driver for the Mass Storage Device, I am wondering if I need to assign a drive letter to the phone...I had to do that for my external hard drive. Right now I have the following letters assigned to drives: C, D, E, F, G, H, I, X, Y & Z.

• 3. Samsung Epic not recognized by computer
    robbiedoo2001 Bronze Expert

The following response I have posted in the other thread:

Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging

Make sure it's checkmarked before connecting your cable.

• 4. Samsung Epic not recognized by computer
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

There are usually two things that could cause this to happen. One is having USB debugging enabled as posted above. This can be changed by gonig to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging

The other is that the phone may be setup for the diagnostic modem mode that store technicians use to triage the phone. You can access the menu to change this by typing ##8778# in the dialer. The top "UART" setting should be on MODEM, and the bottom "USB" setting should be on "PDA" for regular operation. As technicians we normally change this setting back, but there is always a chance someone forgot it when finishing up a phone.

• 5. Samsung Epic not recognized by computer

Please clarify for me: do I want USB debugging checked or unchecked? I originally had it checked, but was told to have it unchecked, which I did do. But, I thought someone just told me to have it checked, which I just did. After doing so, plugging the phone in to the PC and dialing the characters/number you suggested I found that MODEM was highlighter on both the top and bottom. I changed the bottom to PDA as you suggested but, as I noted, USB debugging is checked. When I disconnected the phone and reconnected, the computer did not make the ding that it does when it recognizes a new device. However, it just installed the following drivers, which I didn't have before: (1) Samsung Android USB Composite Device, Samsung Android USB Modem, USB Mass Storage Device and Samsung Android Composite ADB Interface. So I think I am at least halfway there. Please let me know if I should have the debugging checked or unchecked, and THANK YOU for your advise and help!

• 6. Samsung Epic not recognized by computer
    mharrismj Newbie

This worked like a charm.  Thanks for information.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points