This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 1:41 AM by spencerhawkins18 RSS

Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?

rowebot Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I've heard for more than a year and a half now from employees in your stores that it's close to happening, but there's not been a peep about it on the interwebs.  What gives?

• 1. Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    oZo61 Regular Visitor

I have the same question. I heard a story it had something to do about a church on the west side using some of the frequencies, but you know how that kind of thing is.

I would like to be able to use my 4G capable phone as it was meant to be used!

• 2. Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    04silvrz Newbie

THe stores lie.  They told me the same about my town. 

• 3. Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Please check out this post. 

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/314140#314140

In the meantime, I can check a map that has a little more detail and post back the results.  If you'd like to post an address that's near you, (not your personal address), and I check that location(s). 

• 4. Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    oZo61 Regular Visitor

I'm in the Metro Dayton Area (south)

• 5. Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

4G coverage from Cincinatti extends north as far as Hamilton and parts of New Miami, then breaks up north of Monroe near the I 75 and Hwy 63 junction.  Dayton OH does not have Sprint 4G, even unofficially.

• 6. Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    oZo61 Regular Visitor

Change of circumstances: Clearwire has left the Dayton Market (I know, because I helped clean out their Beavercreek location). I asked the remaining rep about the partnership between Sprint & Clearwire. Clearwire owns the rights to the spectrum in Dayton that Sprint 4G uses. I asked since they were leaving the area, would that open up Dayton for Sprint 4G?

His reply was "no". He said it would probably make it harder to get 4G in Dayton.

We may have to wait for the iPhone 5 and LTE!

• 7. Re: Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    MWEGRYN76 Regular Visitor

It's not all it's cracked up to be until they work out the battery life and availability issues. I understand you're running 2 antennas while accessing it, but I don't get a full day from a charge on my EVO with light use. We've had it in Cleveland for about a year now, but I leave it off 99% of the time and use Wi-Fi since it's just about everywhere. I won't miss it when my iPhone arrives. When the technology of the 4G phones improves and the coverage area expands, it'll be a different story. I know the Samsung Galaxy S II puts the 4G antenna to sleep unless an app needs it, and then it wakes up almost instantaneously. So it is getting better. As far as the $10 premium data add-on goes, all smart phones require it now (4G phone or not). Hopefully you'll get it to try it out, but you're not missing too much, especially if you have an EVO.

• 8. Re: Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    MMMichael79 Newbie

I live in the Metro Detroit area.  A population of over 4 million and still no 4G.  I cannot understand it!

• 9. Re: Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    brian_simpson1 Regular Visitor

Heres the issue for dayton..... as of oct of 2010 4g was all go on the 2nd qtr of 2011, what happed was the spectrum for the Wimax usage was currently being use at sinclair community collage and was due to expire in may, however Sinclair decided to renew the licence for that spectrum. From what i am hearing it is again to expire in may and have not seen a renewal notice. however i dont know the status of deployment of new wimax. i also heard that the dayton area towers are already upgraded with wimax so it might just mean a matter of activating them. then that bring up my next question. will sprint still deploy lte in dayton or will they ride with wimax for awhile in dayton market. if anyone else has further please post the info.

here is the fcc info

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=2588395

Also it looks like Clearwire currently is in ownership and sinclair is leasing from them. go figure that.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/leaseMain.jsp?licKey=2833842&parentKey=2588395

• 10. Re: Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    BigDawgggie Newbie

By the time Dayton gets 4g it will so obsolete it won't matter. I really think Sprint has some issues with false advertising!!!

• 11. Re: Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    stephenr1217 Regular Visitor

sinclair was using the spectrum and had contract until may of this year is correct! but the contract is now void! why sprint dont enable wimax 4g for dayton is beyond me. and by the way what is sprints plans for us customers that was promised 4g in dayton and has all these 4g wimax  phones ... because now sprint is switching to lte and possibly lte in dayton. are we screwed with these phones we where promised 4g on in dayton!!!!! or is sprint gonna provide a swap?

• 12. Re: Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    Vukasika Regular Visitor

Sprint clearly doesn't give a **** about the wimax phones they sold 1-2 years ago. What I am surprised to see is how many suckers are jumping up to by the Sprint LTE network phones for the non-existent Sprint LTE network.  I'm already looking at T-Mobile service in Dayton which already has 4g service here.

• 13. Re: Is 4G ever coming to Dayton, Ohio?
    Expert

You are in Dayton - I am In Celina ... t-mobile is non exsistent here - and not exsistent in a lot of places .. think about it .. what if you came up here to grand lake st.marys for a camping trip ... and you get in a serious accident .. and you don't have a phone to call for help, you will be helpless ... What I am saying .. is check coverage of place you travel with t-mobile ... in the long run, your waiting it out with sprint is better then tmobile ... and for one line at tmobile (I checked, is well in the hundrends )

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...