This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2011 9:54 PM by LEMMYH21 RSS

Upgrade Fee

tl3ny Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I know sprint made some policy changes on 9/9. I wanted to know if the upgrade fee is still waived if I upgrade a phone through sprints website. Any info would be appreciated

• 1. Upgrade Fee
    Levi4u Master

Yes, "Upgrade" fees are still waived for online purchases only, New customers/new lines of service though will be charged and activation fee of $36

• 2. Upgrade Fee
    DHANFMAN Valued Member

I just walked through all of the steps for upgrading my device.  It appears that the upgrade fee is no longer being waived for online purchases as a $36 upgrade fee was included in the order that I built.  In fact, I just chatted with a Sprint representative who confirmed that the upgrade fee is no longer being waived for online orders.

• 3. Upgrade Fee
    Levi4u Master

Correct, They just changed the policy, Even existing customers upgrading now incur the fee.

• 4. Upgrade Fee
    Expert

That's why when I recently upgraded a few lines I went to a store - at least the people there get the phones ready for customers (may as well get something for the fee).

I did notice how when the Sprint store workers called any type of Sprint phone support, they were also given the run around. The store manager even told an employee to hang up and call again to get someone else. Now that is bad.

• 5. Upgrade Fee
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

tl3ny-

We recently changed some of our policies in regards to upgrade/activation fees. The fee is now $36 and if you upgrade multiple lines the total sum of the fees will cap at $150.

One way to reduce the cost of upgrading to new devices is to utilize our buyback program www.sprintbuyback.com.

Thank you,

Chris

Sprint Cares Social Media Team

• 6. Upgrade Fee
    Expert

That cap is SOOOOO helpful when upgrading FOUR lines! If Sprint had a phone for me, it would have been 5, but NOOOOOO... Sprint has nothing I want that I can afford. Thanks Sprint.

And please be serious about buybacks. I just looked up the buyback values for the old phones on 3 lines - a WHOPPING $5 each. No thanks, it's not worth my time.

• 7. Upgrade Fee
    b3402779540 Newbie

These changes put me over the edge with Sprint - forget it. I'm not going to pay an extra $36 on top of $200 for an upgrade. Plus another $10 a month for more than unlimited data. My plan already has unlimited data and now I have to pay for Unlimited unlimited data. What a sham - all I have is poor 3g data anyhow. Last year my company discount was removed. Trials are only 14 days, no premiere. I don't care if ATT is more, if it is, I can't stand being thieved by Sprint. Glad I can just cancel my account.

• 8. Upgrade Fee
    FrankBoog Newbie

I just spent an hour and a half on the phone with Customer No Support. So they tell me that there is absolutely no way they can waive these ridiculous Activation Fees. Now I was lucky and bought new phones, one under contract, and one out of contract for a total of about $600.00. I was basically told that I should feel lucky that my fees were not $36.00 each. And also every one I talked too, 7 different people, were sure to tell me that this is sprint's policy and that if they removed the fee's they could be jeopardizing their jobs. Here is my problem. I have been a sprint customer for well over 10 years, never complained, asked for credit, or anything. I accept that I paid out my *** for the new phones that my wife and i wanted. I also pay **** near $200.00 a month now for this service that has gotten a little worse in certain areas around me. I cannot utilize 4G speeds as i am currently about 5 miles outside of it's range. But this **** has surely pushed me over the edge. I am going to gladly pay the $200.00 for each line to cancel my plans, and then watch what happens. All of a sudden they will be willing to do what ever it takes to keep me. That is the problem with these companies now. No loyalty to the people that have kept your sorry ***** in business. Quite frankly this is absolutley ridiculous to charge activation fees to any existing customers. You should be happy that Customers like myself have stayed with your company for as long as we have. I hear on some other boards that the cost comparison and data usage for other companies are higher, blah blah blah. If you think for second that its all about cost for a product you are sadly mistaken. You buy based on what you get. Don't believe me, ask any BMW or Mercades owner. They pay for quality! Sprint's quality has taken a turn for the worse.

• 9. Upgrade Fee
    BeansInFL Regular Visitor

"I did notice how when the Sprint store workers called any type of Sprint  phone support, they were also given the run around. The store manager  even told an employee to hang up and call again to get someone else. Now  that is bad."

Really crazy.

• 10. Upgrade Fee
    spinaway Expert

Hoo boy. I don't know what to tell you. I am generally supportive of Sprint, but this is a real downer. Is there a reason for this "upgrade" fee for new phones? It's merely switching one phone with another. What exactly does it take you that you have to charge an upgrade fee? Seriously.

And by the way, who's doing your sales marketing on this? What is this but a *disincentive* for people to buy new phones? Is it really better for your business if people buy new phones less frequently as a result of this policy?

• 11. Upgrade Fee
    robotaholic Gold Expert

The Upgrade Fee is a standard industry charge that allows Sprint to set-up your new phone on the network.  Sprint charges an Upgrade Fee to offset the costs associated with activating new devices.  We offer phones at the lowest possible price and subsidize a portion of the cost. 

If you were told you would not be charged, we will locate the documentation and adjust the charge.  The charge should be printed on any receipt you received.

-John

• 12. Upgrade Fee
    spinaway Expert

Oh come on. I'm not asking for the official line on this. It cannot possibly cost Sprint $36 to set up one new phone on the network. Also, let's be honest, your phone prices aren't any better than anyone else, really. The only draw of Sprint now is unlimited data.

• 13. Upgrade Fee
    robotaholic Gold Expert

I was just stating that all the major carriers charge an upgrade fee and an activation fee and we are no different.  It is true that Sprint pays more for devices than the new customer/2 year renewal price and so passes off that price to you over time with your two year contract and in the form of activation fee and upgrade fee.  Also it costs to turn on your electronic serial number and phone number inlcuding the call to activate, the data entry and update across all computers in the whole network on every tower everywhere- and we're also supposed to make a profit (this being a business)-  I am trying to be down to earth here.  I am sorry you had to pay it though...and if you were told we would not charge it, if I can confirm in the notes, I will be happy to adjust it for you @ Spinaway.

Thank you

-John

• 14. Upgrade Fee
    b3402779540 Newbie

Sprint - checkout Netflix and see how profits and stock prices improve with anti-customer changes. Does Sprint really think they're king of the mountain and can gouge?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...