This discussion is locked
1 2 3 30 Previous Next 445 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2012 3:34 PM by bth3 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

dshoem01 Gold Expert
Currently Being Moderated

5/2 - this thread is being locked.  Please post any comments regarding the latest update in a new discussion.  Thanks!

4/2 - A software update to correct these issues is being rolled out beginning 4/4  Please refer to this thread for information

on the update.

============================================================================================

As a temporary solution, a download has been made available to revert back to the previous software version (Froyo). 

Please see this post for additional information. 

============================================================================================

Based on your feedback, Sprint and LG are investigating issues reported following the LG Optimus update to Gingerbread. 

Most of these issues are intermittent and are not experienced by all customers.  Workarounds are noted below where applicable.   

More information will be posted here as it becomes available.  We apologize for any inconvenience. 

9/27 - Sprint and LG are continuing to troubleshoot these issues and will provide more information as it becomes

available.  In addition to the temporary workarounds noted below, it's also recommended to factory reset your device.  

You can find the instructions for the factory reset here.  Again, we apologize for any inconvenience

9/29 - We are continuing to work with LG and hope to have more information to you very soon. Also wanted to let

everyone know that the call volume issue has been reported and is being investigated.   

10/3 - As a temporary solution, we are working on making the Froyo software update available as a download. We

expect to have this available today.  Once it's available, I will provide a link to it in this post.   

UPDATE:  Here is the post with info on downloading the Froyo software

- Device not charging when plugged into a computer via USB or the AC Wall   Adapter. The Battery status under

Settings > About Phone > Status will read   "Discharging" while the device is plugged in. 

Workaround: Charge the device with a wall charger while the device is powered off. 

If this is not a viable workaround for you, visit or contact a Service & Repair center for a possible exchange.  This

issue is not occurring on all devices. 

- No access to data services (indicated by the lack of a 1X or 3G next to the Signal Indicator).

Workaround: From the dial pad, type ##72786# (##SCRTN#) and the device's   MSL. The device will power cycle and

perform a hands free activation which will resolve the issue.  Note: If you do not know your MSL, contact

Sprint Customer Service at 888-211-4727 for assistance.

- SD card un-mounted or removed message while the SD card is inserted in the device

Workaround: Power the device off and back on and the card will be recognized

- Device is not recognized by Windows XP, Vista, or 7 when connected to a PC via a USB connection.

Workaround: Re-install the LG USB Drivers on the PC: 

1. Go to http://www.lg.com/us/support/mc-support/mobile-phone-support.jsp

2. Click on Mobile Drivers

3. Select the Sprint LGALS670.zip (Sprint Android Drivers for XP, Vista and Win7) package

- Predictive text with the Android keyboard is not working

Workaround: use the Swype keyboard which will still show predictive text if selected in the settings menu.

1. To switch to the Swype keyboard:

Go to Home>Menu>Settings>Language&Keyboard>Select Input Method>Swype.

2. To ensure word prediction is enabled when using the Swype keyboard

Go to Home>Menu>Settings>Language&Keyboard>Swype> and ensure "Word Prediction" is selected. 

A community member posted that an app in the Android market helps with this issue.  This has not

been validated by Sprint, but wanted to pass it on. Here's the link to the app:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.moo.android.inputmethod.latin.free&feature=search_result

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - updated Device not charging

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - updated Predictive text

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - 9/27 update

Message was edited by: dshoem01- 10/3 update

• 1. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    CRAZYINDIAN Newbie

Just had my phone updated 2 days ago and i also think we should have had a say weather we wanted the update or not  . im also having charging problems and don't like the color change it bothers my eyes is there any way we can go back to the 2.2

• 2. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    TheTrashes Newbie

I need to add another bug to your known issues... I cannot use my phone's headphone out jack anymore to take phone calls.  See KW's post here http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/76818?tstart=0.

• 3. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    calyhirsch Newbie

Besides the SD card randomly coming unmounted, I'm having some kind of issue with my phone freezing or locking up. It goes to the screen where it just says 'android' and gets stuck there until I take out the battery.

I'm really upset that I no longer have a working phone because of this update. If my phone's functionality isn't restored soon, is this covered by the warranty or insurance?

• 4. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    Dark0 Regular Visitor

Not sure if this is something but my 3G is showing but it's not glowing green, I can't access any internet pages on my phone so I think something's up with my connectivity, and this wasn't an issue before I went to bed. As of now I can still make calls and text

• 5. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    RoboFu Regular Visitor

Thanks for finally acknowledging the issue, but some of these "workarounds" are pretty weak.  Turning your phone off to charge it is not a workaround.  Repeatedly restarting your phone to get it to recognize the SD card is not a workaround.

Additionally, this doesn't address all of the issues that are being reported.  What about the ridiculously poor battery life that some of us have experienced after the upgrade? What about phone lock-ups related to bluetooth connectivity?

The experiences reported in the Sprint stores have been very poor as well, and speak to a bigger issue:  That your stores are completely out of touch with phone support.  Telling a customer that they will have to pay $35 to replace a phone that was broken by a Sprint-initiated firmware update is ridiculous, made even more so by the fact that customers only get their phones replaced properly when they call customer service to get them to TELL the store reps how to properly handle a big customer service issue.

Fortunately I was able to factory reset my phone and get it back to a mostly working condition.  Others have not been so lucky.  And I am certainly not encouraged as I am a new Sprint customer, and this is the first interaction I have had with support. As a paying customer, I EXPECT to be able to use the features that are advertised for my phone.  I do not expect to have to constantly restart my phone as a workaround, or suffer a crippled feature set because of buggy software.

What is Sprint planning to do to make things right for those of us affected by this poorly executed update?  We're not looking for something unrealistic, but we have not been able to use a service that we are paying for, either to its potential, or at all in some cases.  "Wait for the next update" is not a solution.

Make it right, Sprint.

• 6. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    NCSU1 Newbie

Your post does not respond to the worst problem by FAR!!  The in-call volume is way too High!  You honestly cannot hold the phone to your ear.  I am wondering if this came from a Sprint firmware update which seems timed at the same time as the Gingerbread install.  Please fix this NOW! - my phone is next to useless as a phone!

• 7. Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    Amanda2981 Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issues. My phone is unmounting the SD card at many random times of the day and when I push my power button to turn on the screen, it sometimes takes three or four tries to get it to come on.  By that time it's gone into what seems to be a partial restart?  Any patches for this yet Sprint?? It's rather annoying! Other than powering it off and on?

• 8. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    sanantxs Regular Visitor

I agree, Sprint needs to fix these problems or they are going to lose a lot of customers!! My call volume is also WAY too high. It makes it almost impossible to use the phone. Plus my texting is messed up now too.I HATE this upgrade!! I am a looooong time Sprint customer but I will leave them over this if they don't deal with this issue politely and very soon..

• 9. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    Bhatt Newbie

I am having many of the issues described above. The workarounds are not proper fixes. There should be a way to switch back to 2.2. This is a high inconvenience to all.

Even with the work around my phone does not charge all the way and as a result I have had my phone die on me every single day since the update. this is inexcusable since I need my phone in order to be productive.

• 10. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    fidodoody Newbie

dshoem01 wrote:

- Device not charging when plugged into a computer via USB or the AC Wall   Adapter. The Battery status under

Settings > About Phone > Status will read   "Discharging" while the device is plugged in. 

Workaround: Charge the device with a wall charger while the device is powered off. 

I'm afraid that that workaround isn't appropriate for some of us.  My phone is one which will not indicate that it is charging, though it must be receiving some charge, since the battery meter does VERY slowly creep back to 80% when it's on the Wall Charger.

But my phone also will NOT TURN OFF if the USB cable is plugged in.  Plugging in the USB cable when it is plugged into the wall charger results in the phone immediately powering itself on.  I've tried turning off the phone with the cable plugged in as well as without.  But the moment I plug the phone into the charger, it turns itself back on.  This workaround is simply not achievable.  And based on similar postings, I am not alone in this issue.

• 11. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    Vnetx Newbie

Its so funny with how many people are complaining about the change of color. lol? If you really have a problem then learn to either A. root your phone and get a diff theme/rom.  or B. get another phone. I'm one of the few lucky ones who haven't had any problems with anything listed above. Good job LG making a good phone .

• 12. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    Jerpreacher Newbie

In addition to the things listed I keep seeing a low storage icon but I have plenty of space on my internal memory. Also the charge issue on my phone is a little different. It charges fine via the USB port on my computer when the phone is powered on or off. The wall adapter will not charge the phone when the phone is powered on. When I power down the phone and plug in the power adapter the phone flashes the LG logo and then goes into some strange blank screen state but the buttons are illuminated and the screen has a dim back light. It doesn't show if it's charging. When I unplug the power adapter from the phone it powers up automatically without pressing the power button. Strange....

• 13. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    Rainbowsmurf99 Newbie

I can't make a call without the volume being so loud I have to hold it away from my ear.  The volume is as low as it will go.  How do I fix this?  Would have been nice to have the option to upgrade. 

• 14. Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update
    javelina832 Newbie

My wife and I have the same phone and she is not seeing any issues.  I on the other hand am very disappointed.  My phone will now only charge to 80% with the original charger (without indication).  Can not charge via usb (at work) or car charger.  My phone turns on by itself after I turn it off too.  It locks up from time to time and I have to reboot.  Just plain disappointed.

1 2 3 30 Previous Next