This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2011 3:12 PM by phin RSS

Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount

MICHAELRJ9 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Ok, I have been with Sprint for a little over 2 years. Why doesn't sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount?

They act like they do but they don't unless I don't understand it. They show the discount but the bottom line is the same for a new customer. Why?

It shows I have a 150.00 Upgrade phone discount  but Why does it show the same price for new customers?

Every phone has a "discount" with a 2 year agreement. So why should I stay with sprint if they don't care about existing customers and sign another 2 year agreement for no discount?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

Both existing and new customer receive a discount when signing a new contract. The prices for existing and new customers are the same, but they are discounted.

-Donnie

• 2. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount

Ok take the Htc Arrive for example:

Full price is 449.99 a new customer gets 250.00 off for a "2 year cotract" Price now is 199.99.

Me: Full price is 449.99 I only get 150.00 off for a "2 year suck you in contract discount" then I get a 100.00 instant discount (lol) Total price for me is 199.99.

You can show the numbers any way you want but where is my 150.000 upgrade phone discount?

It is not there.

Right?

• 3. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

New customers get the same discount, $150 off plus a mail-in or instant rebate depending on the current promotion. I think the way it's worded is just confusing.

-Donnie

• 4. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount

Exactly,

It's a play on words and Sprint wants existing customers think they are getting something different and in fact it is no different than a new customer.

Its Sprints way to suck you into another 2 year contract with no discount or reward to existing customers.

Later

Michael

• 5. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

It's not a play on words at all. If anything it would seem the way it's worded makes new customers think they're getting more off the price, not the other way around, but this is not our intention. As far as I know, all the major cell phone carriers do their upgrade/new pricing this way.

-Donnie

• 6. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount
    evoshift16 Regular Visitor

dude if your getting a phone for the same price as a new customer whats the big deal. if the phones 449 and your getting it for 199 live with it. it is discounted

• 7. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount

Well when you sign into your account and you see a notice (not sure of the exact wording) but it said for being a valued customer "you qualified" for a 150.00 phone upgrade discount.

That is BS, thats all i'm saying. There is NO 150.00 phone upgrade discount. It is the exact price for existing customers and new ones.

The only reason Sprint says that is because you are out of contract and they want to suck you into another contract.

If that was not the reason Where is my discount it says I am getting?

I also wondered what sprint would do if you were still in contract and lost or broke you phone and wanted to buy a replacement. Knowing what I know about the "discount I am getting" they would say I would have to pay full price because they know there is nothing you can do because you are still in a contract.

• 8. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount
    mmartin1605 Newbie

I'm ticked too because for months, to the right of my bill, I had an icon telling me that as a valued customer, I was eligible for a FREE upgrade as of Oct. 1st. Now I check and I am not eligible for anything. So much for the Silver program or whatever BS it was. I am so done with Sprint and their ****** phones.

• 9. Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount
    SprintTheSlowNetwork Expert

Dude for lack of a better term your a idiot. Read the terms its 150 off or the national advertised price. You get that price because your getting it subsidized by signing a contract. It's the same thing with any other contract carrier. So either this is your first phone or your just stupid.

To the other guy who was premier before they changed the premier terms contact Sprint and state this and usally they'll give you one last upgrade under the old terms.

• 10. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount
    MGman61 Expert

MICHAELRJ9,  Stop comparing yourself to a "new" customer in terms of what the carrier is paying in new phone subsidies. You are getting a discount. Anyone willing to agree to a new contract term gets a discount. Carriers lose money subsidizing new phones. The only way it's cost-effective is for them to be able to guarantee spreading this cost over the term of a new contract. How much do you think you are worth as a customer? They should subsidize a new phone for you whenever you want without a contract because you are an existing customer? We would all be paying much higher rates if that was the case.

Existing AT&T landline customers or Cable (name any) customers get NO special incentives to stay. Only new customers get enticed with special deals and existing customers can show what they think about that with their feet. By comparison, there is much more discount incentive to stay with wireless carriers.

My biggest beef with Sprint is that they can't seem to transfer over account preferences and profile info. when existing customers renew. They treat me as a new customer after 9 years and it ****** me off when I start getting their sales calls and texts all over again after I have expressly told them (or selected settings) not to do that in the past.

• 11. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount

Everyone here must be blind and stupid for not understanding!!

NEW CUSTOMERS GET A $250.00 DISCOUNT OFF A 2 YEAR CONTRACT, RIGHT?

EXISTING CUSTOMERS ONLY GET $100.00 DISCOUNT OFF A 2 YEAR CONTRACT. THEN THE $150.00 UPGRADE DISCOUNT. FOR ALL OF YOU READING THIS THAT COUNT EITHER THAT IS A TOTAL OF $250.00

MY POINT IS A 2 YEAR AGREEMENT IS A 2 YEAR AGREEMENT AND IT SHOULD BE THE SAME FOR A NEW OR EXISTING CUSTOMER RIGHT???

THEN I WOULD GET MY 250.00 2 YEAR CONTRACT DISCOUNT THEN THE $150.00 UPGRADE DISCOUNT THAT WE ARE NOT GETTING!! EVEN THOUGH THEY SHOW WE GET IT ON PAPER BECAUSE THEY CHANGE THE 2 YEAR CONTRACT PRICE WITH EXISTING CUSTOMERS....

WHAT IS THE POINT IN WAITING TO UPGRADE YOUR PHONE WHEN IT IS THE SAME PRICE AS ANY OTHER TIME??

I'M DONE!!!

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 12. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount
    Denny_D Silver Expert

You have been with Sprint for a little over two years, according to my records, I will be a Sprint customer for at least 15 years in January. I am now offered the same discounts that you and any new customer has. I see no problem with this. Why would you?

dd

I choose to be an Advocate for Sprint. In order to comply with FTC rules I must state that I was a SAGE 2011 attendee. Expenses associated with SAGE 2011 were covered by Sprint Nextel Corporation and HTC.  My attendance at the event in no way precludes me from speaking in favor or against items of interest to Sprint or HTC.

• 13. Re: Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount
    MGman61 Expert

As a longtime customer I'm OK with the current device discounts offerred with a new contract. I'm NOT OK with Sprint charging a continuing customer (extending service with a new contract) an new activation fee. THAT should be my loyalty bonus for staying with Sprint. Oh, and keeping/transferring my account preferences as mentioned in my earlier post.

• 14. Why doesnt sprint offer an Upgrade phone discount
    gibsonl4c Expert

BestBuy discounts work the same way but they give you more than $150 discount. For example when I upgrade to a new phone in Dec. 2011 I can get a Photon 4G for $199 at Sprint with a renewal of my existing plan for another 2 years! Now if I go to BestBuy I can get the same phone for $99.99 to renew my contract!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...