This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2011 4:25 PM by Uhhhhmahzing RSS

iPhone/add a line type question

MissEricaKane81 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

As of August, I was eligible for a $75 upgrade as a Premier customer. I am no longer eligible (I guess) since they did away with the Premier Program.

I currently have a family plan (shared with one other phone) with my line as the primary.

I was trying to figure out if it would be cheaper for me to add a line in order to get an iPhone, and then pay the ETF for the original (primary) line; then make the new line the primary.

Can I do this? And will it affect the other phone on the plan in any way?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

• 1. iPhone/add a line type question
    Uhhhhmahzing Valued Member

I want to first say that I dont condone false churn at all. I will say ask your local corporate store or customer service how many lines you are eligible to have on your account. If its only two then you wont be able to do this. The see if there is someone else who is willing to allow you to transfer your number to their name and SSN because they were considering adding a line but didnt want to/couldnt afford a new phone right now or they dont want to pay an activation fee. This way you arent cancelling and you arent paying an ETF. Consder that you would be losing your number if you cancelled your line and you could be subject to ETF and proration plus cost of the new phone, activation fee for the new line and losing your phone number. In the end you have to do whats best for you based on your wants and needs and essentially the ETF is in place if you want to cancel so its always an option.

• 2. iPhone/add a line type question

also consider this, the $75 credit would have only given you $75 off the retail price. So if a phone is $575 you would still pay $500.

• 3. iPhone/add a line type question

I am allowed more than 2 lines.......I don't want to get anyone else involved, using name & SSN....

• 4. iPhone/add a line type question
    pharaoh0 Silver Expert

The one-year upgrade @ $25/75 was part of the New for You program and that is what changed.  http://www.sprint.com/popups/upgrade_changes.html

Gold members, by contrast, received an annual upgrade specifically as part of their premier status. 

MissEricaKane81 wrote:

As of August, I was eligible for a $75 upgrade as a Premier customer. I am no longer eligible (I guess) since they did away with the Premier Program.

I currently have a family plan (shared with one other phone) with my line as the primary.

I was trying to figure out if it would be cheaper for me to add a line in order to get an iPhone, and then pay the ETF for the original (primary) line; then make the new line the primary.

Can I do this? And will it affect the other phone on the plan in any way?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

• 5. iPhone/add a line type question

I kinda thought the $75 was off of retail, but since I've been a "Premier" customer I've upgraded my phone every year (always smartphones) and never paid THAT much for a phone......it's always been about $200 or less......I'm confused......

• 6. iPhone/add a line type question
    Sprint Employee

People do this everyday - you lose the original number.  It is unethical for a salesperson to suggest this as it is considered "false churn" but if the customer wants to do it that is fine. You will also get the instant discount so it will save you more than just $75.00.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 7. iPhone/add a line type question

I'm aware that I lose the original # (which doesn't bother me) I just want to know if I can make the "new" line the "primary"......does that make sense?

I am on a plan with my mom, but she doesn't know anything about phones or plans or anything LOL....so I just want to keep all of the "control" (I guess that's what I'm trying to say) with MY line.

• 8. iPhone/add a line type question

making a line the primary doesnt give them rights to control the account. The account holder is still in control. Switching could cause confusion when reading the billing but thats it.

• 9. iPhone/add a line type question
    pharaoh0 Silver Expert

Are you sure your account is "silver" and not "gold"? 

MissEricaKane81 wrote:

I kinda thought the $75 was off of retail, but since I've been a "Premier" customer I've upgraded my phone every year (always smartphones) and never paid THAT much for a phone......it's always been about $200 or less......I'm confused......

• 10. iPhone/add a line type question
    Sprint Employee

Yes - once activated there is a process to change the primary number

Here are the steps - just so you know it is an easy thing for a rep to do.

• In the billing system:
    1. Go to Actions > LTS Activities > Subscriber Ranking.
    2. Click Beginning of Next Bill Cycle button.
    3. Highlight the new primary phone number from the LTS group, and click Move MRC Up or Move MRC Down to reposition the ranking within the LTS group.(MRC Monthly Recurring Charge)
    4. Click OK to save the ranking changes.
    5. Tell customer the MRC changes take effect on the next bill cycle, and they will display on their next bill.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 11. iPhone/add a line type question

Definitely silver. I haven't been with them long enough to be a gold member.

• 12. iPhone/add a line type question

Thanks OKIESTRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's EXACTLY what I was asking

• 13. iPhone/add a line type question
      eddieh91 Regular Visitor

i spoke with a rep yesterday and they told me it is cheaper to add a line and pay the etf on the line you dont want anymore. its a max of 200 for e.t.f and then your get the phone for the 199, 299 or 399 as oppossed to paying the full price of 699, 799 or 899. so in the end ud pay about 300 dollar less

• 14. iPhone/add a line type question
      Eeggman Regular Visitor

Kind of in the same boat here, but I don't want to risk loosing my 25% discount.  I have 3 lines on a shared  Everytiing Data plan.  Lines 1 & 2 are getting the discount and are the ones I want to use for iPhones.  I'm not eligible for any upgrades, and I don't mind paying the ETF since the net cost to me will be less than buying the phones outright.

At time-zero when I add the 2 new lines for the iPhones, they're not discounted because only the first 2 lines get the discount.  After I cancel lines 1 and 2 above do the iPhones automatically pick up the discount or do I need to do something elese to make this happen?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
    • Helpful Answers - 2 points