This discussion is locked
1 123 124 125 126 127 189 Previous Next 2,820 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2013 3:50 PM by MALANIS21 Go to original post RSS
  • 1,860. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Bigbearks70 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

I agree those speeds are appalling.  The speeds I am getting are worth it.  My bill is 70 a month plus taxes after my discount through my work.  Not bad at all.

• 1,861. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Valued Member

You will need to go to at&t to get above 2Mbps I guess

001.PNG

• 1,862. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    MGman61 Expert

Why don't you people post your locations??? Yet another person posting  with the "It's the whole network" conclusion, when in reality maybe,  just maybe it's the part of the network where you happen to be. That  still sucks for you, if that's the case but for me it's another week and  another work location for me to add to the growing list of places I've  been without Sprint network issues. I Hit 1286 kbps Down on my EVO (although only 149 Up)  when I tested two nights ago when I got into Jacksonville, FL. Just  tested a minute ago and got 953 kbps Down/612 Up. Slow by ATT standards  with their differing technology but not too bad for Sprint. Does "Dirt  slow" mean "unusable"? Posts like this make me wonder if your experience  at all compares to the  unusable  speeds some iPhone  users have been getting and is the topic of this thread. It's hard to  tell the current status of the iPhone specific situation because of all  the, "Me too, Me too I'm slow, It's the whole network" posts.

And Yes, Sprint and Apple have admitted an iPhone specific problem. Read all 3 million posts on this thread... it's there .

EriePenn wrote:

Its not just IPHONE data speeds, Dirt slow on my evo and samsun phone. Its sprints whole data network

• 1,863. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    3020fjr2 Bronze Expert

jonlever wrote:

You will need to go to at&t to get above 2Mbps I guess

If you know the difference between CDMA (Sprint, Verizon uses), HSPA+ (ATT. tmobile)  is not a I guess it a fact. That is one of the reason why Verizon and Sprint are moving quickly into 4g with national coverage . While Ma Bell I mean Att has 15 markets with 4g lte .

• 1,864. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Valued Member

I attempted to start a thread asking for location, speed, and device being used in efforts to find out where the 3G is very slow at.  It was deleted and my account was banned.  I gave up trying to do something like that as I am tired of making usernames.

Maybe you can attempt this thread with better luck.

San Antonio Tx. 

HTC Hero

Samsung Epic 4G

Samsung Epic Touch

Iphone 4S

HTC Evo 3D

Samsung Moment

All receiving 100kbps to 300kbps with an occasional spike to almost 1Mbps and as slow as 5kbps.

I checked the sprint tower upgrade site.  It shows that there has been 10 speed upgrades in my area with none scheduled anytime soon.  I made the financial decision that it will probably be cheaper for me to switch my service than for me to sell my house and move and find a different job.  To each his own though

• 1,865. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    EriePenn Newbie

Well i have an Air rave in my house just so we can use our phones. When i walk to the corner  i have no bars. Takes 5 min to open cnn or any website.  It has been like this in erie pa long before the iphone.  Phone calls are fine as you get closer to city center but 3g data is  very bad. We have no 4g. Im 17 months into contract and cant wait to drop them.

• 1,866. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    SoontobeATT Regular Visitor

Unfortunately, you completely miss the point.  I have an Android.  I think the iPhone is a good phone as well. I really don't care which phone type you have, as the phone isn't the problem.  They both have data speed problems in the Chicago downtown area making them equally unusuable.  It's not a question of a little slower.  My download speeds are less than 75kbps on a weekday and I constantly show 1x on singnal. My upload speeds are even more abysmal. As far as additional research, read the 125 pages of speed complaints and the numerous threads on the topic.  As far as personal research, I have done mine on several different handsets.

The point is that Sprints 3g network isn't robust enough for the data demands the influx of the new iPhones. My phones had worked perfectly in the past. Sprint is the problem right now.  And telling me to be happy and wait for the new wonderful things Sprint will do in the future really doesn't change those facts.

• 1,867. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    ReallyReallySlow3G Regular Visitor

My wife and I just got iPhones on sprint... She's allways trying to update facebook and pinterest and getting frustrated and asking me why here phone is broken... I'm getting tired of explaining to her everywhere we go that "we just don't get service here I guess". How is it possible that we don't get good service anywhere??

• 1,868. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Fehriba Regular Visitor

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/03/inside_iphone_4s_us_mobile_data_att_vs_sprint_vs_verizon.html

"And then there's Sprint. As the newest iPhone carrier in the US, Sprint is also the last to still offer an unlimited data contract. The problem, at least right now, is that Sprint's data service is so bad it's unlikely you could ever get your money's worth of data using a Sprint iPhone. While neither Sprint nor Apple have really addressed the issue directly, there seems to be something tragically wrong with how the iPhone works on Sprint's network. If it's not something unique to Sprint, it would be hard to imagine how Sprint has remained in business this long.

We briefly compared Sprint's iPhone service to an Android HTC EVO 4G phone, and found better data throughput on the EVO in the same location, even when confined to working on the 3G network. Sprint has been selling the EVO for much longer, so it appears to have worked out more kinks that have not yet been resolved for the new iPhone. Until Sprint solves its iPhone service issues, it would be frustrating to try to use Sprint as an iPhone service provider.

Sprint served the slowest data by far, and we found "no service" problems more often on Sprint's network than AT&T. Even at times when the Sprint iPhone was able to complete a data test, it often wouldn't work well enough to bring up a map, check email, or respond to Siri requests. Given how frustratingly bad Sprint's 3G network was in practice, it seems very likely that there must be a fix in the works to solve the iPhone's terrible performance on its new carrier. That wouldn't be unprecedented, as Apple has consistently released updates that have aimed at improving how well the device works on specific carriers.

At this time however, it's extremely hard to recommend the Sprint iPhone, unless the problems we saw were unique only to San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles, Reno, Nevada, and various points in between. Judging from online service complaints, it appears Sprint's network needs additional work to properly support the iPhone. "

Yup, pretty much the same experience here in Troy, MI as well. Just ran another speed test at a whopping 107kbps. And yet I still get charged full price for service. Just take the hardware and let's end this Sprint, it was a bad marriage but we can still be friends.

• 1,869. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    BayAreaLawStudent Newbie

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57336601-94/appleinsider-calls-sprint-iphone-tragically-wrong/?tag=cnetRiver

Finally more media coverage on this problem. PREMIUM DATA HUH?!?! HAHAHA!

Effin Sprint. I ditched them, paid my ETF, and have never been happier with my 4S on AT&T.

Sprint's true colors are shining bright for the world to see right now. Minimizing the issue, as if it is a few remote users. They are going down in flames.

• 1,870. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    BayAreaLawStudent Newbie

Amen brother. It is all psychological - like a buffet.

"This unlimited .01 mbps is so awesome!"

• 1,871. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    blakroc Valued Member

Because of the different variables involved in a test, results have differed significantly. CNET conducted a test of data speeds in select locations in San Francisco and found that

Sprint generally performed better than Verizon. The test found no speed issues with the Sprint iPhone 4S. Because of the different variables involved in a test, results have differed significantly. CNET conducted a test of data speeds in select locations in San Francisco and found that Sprint generally performed better than Verizon. The test found no speed issues with the Sprint iPhone 4S.

yes bayarea  that was an interesting read...    did you actually read it yourself?    as the results seem to contradict what you are saying.........

• 1,872. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Bigbearks70 Regular Visitor

In wichita we have had 7 voice upgrades, 12 data speed upgrades, and 21 data capacity upgrades, and the results show for themselves.  The 2.25 was late at night but the 2.10 was at 1 PM on a Sunday when it was busy everywhere.

• 1,873. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    3020fjr2 Bronze Expert

jonlever wrote:

I think Sprint has potential IF they keep unlimited data as they have already began to data cap other service they offer.  But I read that Sprint is worth $8 billion.  This is after years ago they bought Nextel for like $32 billion. 

They have pretty much lost money every year.  They are in a $20 billion dollar deal with apple.  I read reports that even with all the new accounts added cause of the iphone these last few months, they still posted a loss for the quarter.

Yes Sprint has been losing money year after year (it was in the article i posted at the other forum to after you said Sprint was losing costumers and I proved you wrong). Now you say that you "read reports that even with all the new accounts added cause of the iphone theses last few months, they still posted a loss for the quarter" Jon can I see that report. Sprint Iphone came out in quarter 4 and Sprint as well as every other company is still in quarter 4 so there are no reports out. Also all investors know and Sprint has said it that the first year of the iphone Sprint is going to lose money since the phone are subsidize. Sprint however will start making money out those costumers once a year passes.

PS if tmobile is valued at 39 billion because of it Spectrum Sprint is in reality worth way more than 39 billion since it has more spectrum than tmobile. (This is according to ATT which set the price so high for tmobile)

• 1,874. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    davecndn1 Regular Visitor

Sprint is the new Cricket soon there will be Chirping then nothing....The data simply does not work in Chicago or Chicago area, unreal.  Have any of you been able to use or download apps w/o getting network "error" messages?  I personally have not.

I would personally dare CNET or APPLE INSIDER or better yet SPRINT to come to Chicago and do the test and see what happens....