This discussion is locked
1 18 19 20 21 22 189 Previous Next 2,820 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2013 3:50 PM by MALANIS21 Go to original post RSS
  • 285. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Bob_MW Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

While still not great it seems as though things are getting a bit better. For the last couple of days I was getting speeds in the .02Mbps to .20Mbps area. Today I'm getting .50Mbps to .99Mbps and once even 1.2Mbps. So while not greased lightning things are seemengly getting better. I think as the days move forward we'll see more and more improvement. I think the key is to continue demanding to get the type of speeds that Sprint promises (Advertises). Up until now they haven't been taken to task but now with the iPhone on Sprint there's an influx of a large number of customers who are using 3G and not 4G. To be fair Sprint probably did let 3G slip since a lot of the new phones are 4G. I suspect a lot of customers use 4G when out and about and WiFi at home so they may not see there's a problem with 3G. Until now when there's an outcry and the focus is 3G. Honestly I can't wait for LTE. All this will be moot.

• 286. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    facke02 Regular Visitor

I work in Maitland and I just ran a test

iPhone 4S

Ping = 1562 ms

UL = 300 kbps

DL = 4 kbps

Motorola Photon

Ping = 963 ms

UL = 542 kbps

DL = 214 kbps

• 287. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    3020fjr2 Bronze Expert

FYI as many have pointed out Sprint is monitoring this thread and also remember to reports slow data to Sprint. As I said the problem does not seam to be as huge as some are reporting in this thread or in some tech blogs but Sprint has release a statement.

"As always, Sprint is carefully monitoring the performance of the 3G network. We are looking into a small number of reports of slow data speeds when using the iPhone 4S, however there are also reports showing that Sprint’s network is the fastest, such as the Gizmodo report that came out earlier today. Speed tests represent a moment in time and are subject to many variables including weather, time of day, device, and proximity to a tower. Sprint will continue to monitor the feedback we are getting from our customers and will investigate and resolve any issues that may arise," the company said in a statement.

Full Article at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394831,00.asp#fbid=ep1ADizZUMN

Here is gizmodo artcile claiming that Sprint is the fastest http://gizmodo.com/5849953/iphone-4s-test-notes-data-speeds-wow-its-slow

• 288. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    WLEEB1963 Regular Visitor

Reading Sprint's long term strategy, it is likely nothing will happen until they implement their LTE network starting mid-2012 as this is Sprint's long term strategy they are investing 4-5 billion dollars into. Here is Sprint's news release on their Network Vision Plan.

Quoting "3G Network Improvement: Sprint expects a significant improvement in customers’ 3G network experience, including expanded coverage, improved network reliability, better voice quality, and faster 3G data speeds. Based on forecasts of data demand, Sprint is confident its 3G network will meet customers’ growing data demands."

I am not certain that the "3G" component of the Network Vision Plan will be compatible with existing CDMA phones, but if it is, I suspect we will not get any significant relief from slow speeds until this project is fully implemented.

• 289. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    marcman0713 Regular Visitor

Thought I should chime in here as I've been monitoring this page since I got my phone Friday. Been doing speed tests in downtown Chicago, wicker park, and north of the city over the weekend. Same results that I've been seeing in this post, nothing above 0.5mbps typically for download and recently I havent gotten anything above 0.1mbps for upload. I'm going to hit a sprint store in a little bit and see if they can enter a trouble ticket in for me, otherwise I'm going to call tonight to get the ticket.

Activated on 10/14 so I have until the 28th to return. AT&T is looking pretty attractive considering my girlfriend's phone gets 5-6mbps download in the exact same place I'm getting half a meg. *sigh*

• 290. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Regular Visitor

Did you check sprint 4g Map? if ur on the map then you should be getting good speed. if not go to sprint.

• 291. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Checking the 4g map would be irrelevant since this phone is only 3g. I did check the 3g map and everywhere I've been checking has been fully in their coverage. I also just read this stating that sprint has the slowest 3g network REGARDLESS of the iphone problem we're currently having

As we showed in our 21-city Fastest Mobile Networks feature, Sprint has the slowest of the major 3G networks, with average national download speeds hovering around 480kbps compared to Verizon's 700kbps and AT&T's 2.4Mbps

so if the average download speed is 0.5mbps normally, maybe we have nothing to be complaining about and we should have known what we were getting ourselves into

• 292. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    UCF1994 Valued Member

Gizmodo's test is PAINFUL for me to run in Winter Park, FL right now.  It killed 13% battery on one test. Results:

1 Meg test = 47.34 kbps

2.5 Megs test = 53.07 kbps

5 Megs test = 65.17 kbps

Average = 55.19 kbps

This should hurt the Sprint average speeds psoted on the site.

Speedtest.net App results:

Ping = 413

DL = .07 Mbps

UL = .01 Mbps

• 293. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    ssdguy Regular Visitor

@marcman0713

I'm in Chicago as well, waiting to get my iphone 4s from Sprint. I'm going to try it for a few days, AT&T is looking great if she's getting those types of speeds in chicago.

Any other Chicagoan's here? Can you report your speeds on iphone 4s?

• 294. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

@ssdguy

To be fair, the super fast speeds she got were in rivergrove, but I dont think I've done a single test on her phone and gotten slower than 1.5mbps while in downtown chicago.

I'm brand new to sprint but don't know if I want to sign up for a full 2 year contract knowing that the speeds might not ever get any better

• 295. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    RobBass123 Regular Visitor

Add me to the list Orlando, FL

Download .04Mbps-.06Mbps

Something has to be wrong.  A friend on Verizon is getting 1.2mbps in the exact same location...

• 296. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    ssdguy Regular Visitor

@marcman0713

Speeds will get better, but I don't know how long it will take. Sprint is working on their "Network Vision" which is supposed to increase 3G speeds. I don't expect big improvement (data speeds greater than 1mbps) in the next two weeks.

Bottom line is that AT&T's network is consistenly hitting above 1.0 mbps NOW. You will pay for that extra speed, but it may be worth it.

• 297. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    DaveO1977 Regular Visitor

It will not get better anytime soon.  I've been with Sprint for a long time, don't know why I'm paying the $10 per line premium charge for data on 2 lines when there barely is any data.  I work just north of Cincinnati and live just east.  No 4G at home, 3G is painfully slow but now as slow as at work.  It has been this slow for at least a year, I don't expect it to speed up anytime soon.  I would cancel your contracts and go somewhere else while you can before they charge you a inflated $350ETF.  Sprint data is a nationwide joke.

• 298. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    ChicagoBLah Regular Visitor

Yeah I live in Chicago, the speeds are ok (when it works), it's better that when I had my pre but alot of people who arent used to Sprint will be in for  surprise...I have had the same shoddy data connections on the north side for the past 3 years, like Lincoln Square area...Sprint has done little to improve...I am thinking about cancelling and returning the phone before the 14 days are up.  My main complaint is when it shows 3g but it doesnt do anything.

• 299. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful

Hey quick question - I ordered my iphone online from sprint's website, can I return it to a retail sprint store?

1 18 19 20 21 22 189 Previous Next