This discussion is locked
1 44 45 46 47 48 189 Previous Next 2,820 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2013 3:50 PM by MALANIS21 Go to original post RSS
  • 675. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    XERXES666 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

You guys are not alone.. Here in Puerto Rico we have the same issue.. funny thing is that we started noticing this at least 1 month before the 4s.. i have an open ticket since them.. All they can tell me is that there are some problems with cell sites and that they are waiting for parts to fix... ALMOST TWO MONTHS WAITING..

The rep that handles my case told me that she could give me a free month of service but that I would need to renew my contract 2 more years so she can apply it... can anyone believe that???

I'm waiting for the Galaxy Nexus to show on AT&T and I'm so out of here..

• 676. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    qriusme Valued Member

How are your AT&T 3g speeds? Can you post them?

ChasMac1_2008 wrote:

Sorry you guys ... after being a loyal Sprint subscriber for over 15 years, I decided to bail and just got my two new iPhones on AT&T today. Honestly, my 3G speeds on my Evo sucked and I could rarely get 4G here in St. Louis. With the iPhone it was just that much more annoying. My bill is a little higher, but the data speeds are excellent - two to three times what I was getting with my new iPhone on Sprint.  The phone is the best, you can't improve the network overnight.  I decided if I want to use my iPhone I want it to work like it was meant to.... good luck with your future endeavors everyone ... :-)

• 677. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    facke02 Regular Visitor

Maitland, FL 32751 @ 4:40 AM

Ping = 200 ms

DL = 1.10 Mbps

UL = 0.66 Mbps

The OTA reset, followed by several ##UPDATE# and power cycles did the trick for NOW.  Let's hope it lasts. I have until 10/24 to return the iPhone.

• 678. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    wmontgomery123 Regular Visitor

I feel you, I am in Flower ***** and speeds are horrible, but I work in Irving off 114 and at 5 and 6am I fly on my 4s but by core work hours I am to a crawl at a avg .10 or less. What was bad was the other day I needed to use my maps to help a friend, and I had to grab her AT&T iphone cause mine just wouldn't load up. My Epic in Irving even during core hours would avg around 400 kb/s. Which I was ok with since I know where we are the tower gets congested being around the Sprint and RIM call centers along with other businesses. Yesterday was my best day in Irving, but once home you can see at 19:33 my speeds. Also not sure if others having this, but there are other times it just seems like you can't get connected at all like you are dropped and then all the sudden back. Even though you have great signal. 

photo.PNG

• 679. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Bellatone Valued Member

They have definitely been working on the problem, or people have mellowed out on the usage.  Since yesterday morning I have had consistent download speeds of between 1.0Mbps and 1.5Mbps, and consistent upload speeds of 0.7Mbps and 0.9Mbps.  That is what Sprint says you will get on their service, and as long as it continues I have no complaints.  Yes, there are a few occasional times where it has dipped and video streaming has stalled but it's only a matter of days before that goes away.  I still have 7 days left before I am fully committed.

• 680. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    wmontgomery123 Regular Visitor

Man if I could get these speeds all day I would really be happy. Even if at half the speed.

photo2.PNG

• 681. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    UCF1994 Valued Member

Belle Isle  (32812)

@ 5:33am

Ping = 211

DL = .45

UL = .10

After multiple ##UPDATE#s and reboots, the below few:

@ 7:03 am

P = 235

DL = .58

UL = .23

@ 7:04 am

P = 238

DL = .84

UL = .33

@ 7:05 am

P = 219

DL= .78

UL = .41

@ 7:08 am

P= 217

DL = .79

UL = .49

These are acceptably, but how long will they last?

• 682. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    RobBass407 Regular Visitor

This morning.... this is obviously not an easy fix else we would have something by now... this is not looking good.  I work as an engineer, when a customer reports something as severe as this and we do not have a patch or something out within 24-48 hours, it's not an easy one or we have no idea what is wrong yet... like I said this is not good.  The pic on right is after 2 ##UPDATE#, obviosuly short term this works, so why is the phone or whatever losing these settings and then reverting to the slow speeds... Not to mention the phone is so great at these speeds!!!

photo(3).PNGphoto(4).PNG

• 683. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    facke02 Regular Visitor

My activity this morning @ 32751 (Maitland, FL)

I'm of the opinion that it's the backhaul for the network and not the phone.  I can leave Maitland with crappy speeds go up I-4 through Longwood and get 1.5 - 2.0 Mbps. Sprint is just stringing us along until we're past the 14 day return window.... 

photo_2.PNG

• 684. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    UCF1994 Valued Member

All the way to work this morning, I saw seepds between 0.50 Mbps and 1.20 Mbps.  I agree, there is some problem with the devices losing a prime connection to the Sprint network and doing repeated updates is required to get back in "good standing" with the network.  Hopefully they can work this out soon (before Sunday), but I'm not holding my breath. 

At work at 8am in 32789, I saw comparable to yesterday speeds:

P = 231

DL = 1.48

UL = 0.35

I have all of my data points from yesterday saved, so I'll compare today'sresults to yesterday's results.  Yesterday it tanked between the 9am and 10am hours.

• 685. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    scouttyg Regular Visitor

Dammit, I hate you people who get ##UPDATE# (##873283#) to work. I've tried it now probably 100 times over the past day (including at 1AM, 4AM and 7AM) and it keeps just saying "Starting service update" for a split secondbefore instantly saying "Service update failed". ***!

On a side note, what "version" of the PRL do you guys have? If you go to Settings -->General-->About, then scroll down to Carrier and tap it once, it should show the PRL. Mine is 51082, is anyone else's different?

• 686. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    UCF1994 Valued Member

And the slow down begins in 3279:

Yesterday at 8:30 am I had:

DL = 1.31

UL = 0.35

Today:

DL = 0.53

UL = 0.07

I even did the ##UPDATE#, which resulted in DLs averaging 0.15.  Took tow more ##UPDATES#s, a reboot, and another ##UPDATE to get back to DL of 0.53.

For carrier, I have PRL 51082.

• 687. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    iadubber1 Regular Visitor

0.28 Down

0.49 Up

Ping 127

Not good at all! Plus the fact I am only getting about 70% of texts from my wife.

• 688. Re: iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    RobBass407 Regular Visitor

Try an online chat and ask the rep to "refresh" the device, this has helped me in the past if your update is failing.

• 689. iPhone 4S on 3G data network too slow to be useful
    Bellatone Valued Member

I am showing 51082 for the carrier same as you.  More interesting is the modem firmware version 1.0.11 which is probably what will require an update for those having major problems getting decent speeds on the Sprint network.

As of now I am getting 1.89Mbps down and 0.89Mbps up, inside my apartment with a full 5 bars of signal.  Hopefully the good speeds will remain at least 90% consistent throughout the day and then I'd have no problems at all with Sprint.  Most of us know that Sprint gets the best voice reception out of any network as their signal penetrates inside buildings better than Verizon and without question better than AT&T.  If they can keep these data speeds consistent then they will obviously have the best service plan.

1 44 45 46 47 48 189 Previous Next