1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2012 2:49 PM by dessieandy RSS

ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?

meiTy Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

So.. anyone have a timeline as to when we may see this? The phone has the hardware, just needs to be enabled.

Please.

• 1. ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    techygeek82 Valued Member

Microsoft indicated that Firmware updates would be going out to 'various phones' starting this week. We "MAY" see something on the Arrive, yet we "MAY not". I actally just started looking to see if there was any new info on it this morning. Keep an eye on wpcentral.com. They will be one of the sites to 'break the news' if anything is announced.

• 2. ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    meiTy Regular Visitor

Thank you for the info.

• 3. ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    techygeek82 Valued Member

No problem. Sadly I haven't seen any 'updates' to the Firmware news from last week. Though given Microsofts update ways, Tuesdays 'typically' mark update days for them.

• 4. ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    Todd_M Regular Visitor

I won't hold my breath.

• 5. ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    Vengen Newbie

From what I understand, we are in sprints hands now. The functionality is already in the OS already and it is up to the Hardware Manufactures to deliver drivers. That being said I know some WP7 HTC phones already have tethering, however on a different carriers.

• 6. ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    Cyclical Regular Visitor

yup...

XDA Developers are working on a full unlock for the Arrive. If they can get it to work one will be able to load a custom rom that has the ICS/Hotspot/Tethering working on it. But it may be a while

• 7. Re: ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Sprint does not offer "tethering" any longer.  We call this "phone as modem" and although some business accounts may still have this service, Sprint has moved into "mobile hotspots" exclusively.  Since the Arrive doesn't have the router hardware to facilitate a mobile hotpsot and which would have already been active from the launch of the phone, Sprint will not offer a phone as modem option or tethering for this device.  The same goes for Android phones with a built-in tethering functionality.  It's not supported by Sprint although it's a feature of the phone. 

Tom

Message was edited by: tomdeaver

Message was edited by: tomdeaver ~ 2/7/12 ~ Just to address those in this forum that have personally addressed my statement above, I could have chosen my words more carefully, and simply stated that a "mobile hotspot" functionality is not a feature of the HTC Arrive at this time.  Also, "tethering" or phone as a modem is officially not supported by Sprint for all new devices that have the hotspot functionality and is being phased out.  So, even with an MR, Sprint will not support the "tethering" feature.  As for "disassembling" the device, obviously, this is not an option for "most" Sprint reps.

• 8. Re: ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    meiTy Regular Visitor

In reply tomdeaver:

Actually you should check your facts. HTC recently released firmware (7740) to enable the hotspot, which has been relegated to carriers to allow to their customers. The Arrive has the capability. Why not allow it?  I would happily pay the hotspot fee to use the feature.

Thanks for your reply though, 30+ days in coming is better than not at all I suppose.

• 9. Re: ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    Cyclical Regular Visitor

Exactly...

XDA community is working on an unlock for the Arrive which would allow for upgrading it to 7740. I am sure most arrive users will probably end up going that route of Sprint doesn't push out the update.

• 10. Re: ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    meiTy Regular Visitor

Agreed.

• 11. Re: ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    BLACKASH521 Valued Member

also tom you should check your facts. the arrive DOES have the hardware to do this. the only required hardware is the wifi chipset. the rest is software which guess what is wired or wireless tethering. aka hotspots.

• 12. Re: ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    Todd_M Regular Visitor

tomdeaver wrote:

Sprint does not offer "tethering" any longer.  We call this "phone as modem" and although some business accounts may still have this service, Sprint has moved into "mobile hotspots" exclusively.  Since the Arrive doesn't have the router hardware to facilitate a mobile hotpsot and which would have already been active from the launch of the phone, Sprint will not offer a phone as modem option or tethering for this device.  The same goes for Android phones with a built-in tethering functionality.  It's not supported by Sprint although it's a feature of the phone. 

Tom

Tom, while I appreciate your response (albeit very late from Sprint) please double check your facts. The kind folks at XDA forums (who have disasembled the phone) have confined that the HTC Arrive does indeed have the necessary chipset to act as a mobile hotspot. I would suggest that it would be to Sprint's advantage (both financially and from a customer service standpoint) to work with Microsoft and release revision 7740 BEFORE a hacked ROM is released.

• 13. Re: ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    Cyclical Regular Visitor

Now we just have to play the waiting game for them

Come on Sprint, where is the 7740 update for the Arrive? WITH tethering support? Verizon, Tmobile, and AT&T I believe are sending this updates out to the 1st gen phones.

• 14. ICS/Hotspot/Tethering?
    WCHAYES Newbie

Sprint not being able to tehter my laptop when I have deadlines and and a volumn of work that my phone

just can't let me accomplish pushes me to go find a Burger King or Macdonald's ATT hotspot.   Way to

push your customers to your competitor.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...