12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2015 12:07 AM by psc777 RSS

error: msg 2114

ROBATCH Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone have a solution for error 'msg 2114' on the iphone4s? It appears that other sprint users are having this problem with Android but I havent seen anything that offers a solution for iOS5.

ref: http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-support-troubleshooting/266540-text-message-errorwhen-i-send-text-message-i-get-error-says-message-sent-using-invalid-num.html#post3240363

ref: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/69332?start=15&tstart=0

Seems like you have to clean out the entire contact+cache.

Is this only a problem on Sprint? Is it a carrier to carrier problem?

• 1. error: msg 2114
    PabloM33 Newbie

I don't know if you resolve your issue or not, I have been pulling my hair out with the same problem, I just got my Iphone 4S and I love it besides that little detail that I can't text my own wife, I've tried all and The Sprint guys are lost with the issue as well, they have taken my phone and tried many things over the phone without success. Delete the contact you are having the problem with and the text tread with that contact as well. Don't make another contact whenever you want to text this person do it directly whith the phone number, I know is a pain but is working for me and the alternative options are not good, like cancelling your account or getting another phone, hope it helps!!

• 2. error: msg 2114
    ROBATCH Newbie

so, what happened was that when you put your contacts in, you didnt add a (1 + area code) to your local contacts, thats why you cant text your wife who is in the same area code. This was a couple months ago for me, and i cant remember exactly how i solved it, but you do in fact need to delete the contact, any previous texts, etc, then clear the network settings. settings - general -reset (on bottom) - reset network settings. After that, you should be able to re-establish the contact and things should work fine.

• 3. Re: error: msg 2114
    Ceropa Newbie

Thanks Robatch, that was exactly the right solution!

• 4. Re: error: msg 2114
    BlueBonneP Regular Visitor

After a lot of searching, trail-and-error - this solution finally worked for me.  Thank you for taking the time to share!

• 5. Re: error: msg 2114
    DWeez32 Newbie

Here's exactly what I did to solve this issue:

Delete the contact(s) giving you trouble

Go into the messages app and press "Edit" on the upper menu

Press the red minus button to the left of the message thread you want to delete and press "Delete"

Here's the key:  Make sure you also do this for all group messages that include the contact in question!

Once you've delete all of these threads and contacts, add back the contacts with the 10 digit phone number

You should now be able to text without the error.

• 6. Re: error: msg 2114
    pudin_and_hos Regular Visitor

so I dad this same problem. at 1st it was only doing this with my stepsons number. and to be honset i couldnt figure it out and thought his mom got in his phone and blocked my number just to be mean and start trouble. that was all i could think of cause it was just his number, and my husband had no problem texting his son. and even got replies. so i guess anyone could see why i thought what i thought. but anyway 9 months later out of the blue another contact started doing this. never had any problem with her number befor just flat out of the blue. so this is how i finally fixed it to fix the problem on sending text to my friend and to come to find out it actully fixed the problem period. even my stepson number was fixed. i open the icon were you go to recieve and send text message. then puch the blackberry icon button thats right beside the send button. scroll down to options and select. then select inbox settings. make sure there is a check in the little square beside SMS And MMS if not check it.  from there exit back out and try sending a text message to number that been having the problem. it should work for there but if not return back using same way before but after selecting options select General Options. then scoll down until you come to Show Recent Contacts When Composing Email. change that to no. back out and also drop back in to inbox settings to double check that the little box still has check in it. that will fix the problem i Promise!

• 7. Re: error: msg 2114

so I dad this same problem. at 1st it was only doing this with my stepsons number. and to be honset i couldnt figure it out and thought his mom got in his phone and blocked my number just to be mean and start trouble. that was all i could think of cause it was just his number, and my husband had no problem texting his son. and even got replies. so i guess anyone could see why i thought what i thought. but anyway 9 months later out of the blue another contact started doing this. never had any problem with her number befor just flat out of the blue. so this is how i finally fixed it to fix the problem on sending text to my friend and to come to find out it actully fixed the problem period. even my stepson number was fixed. i open the icon were you go to recieve and send text message. then puch the blackberry icon button thats right beside the send button. scroll down to options and select. then select inbox settings. make sure there is a check in the little square beside SMS And MMS if not check it.  from there exit back out and try sending a text message to number that been having the problem. it should work for there but if not return back using same way before but after selecting options select General Options. then scoll down until you come to Show Recent Contacts When Composing Email. change that to no. back out and also drop back in to inbox settings to double check that the little box still has check in it. that will fix the problem i Promise!

• 8. Re: error: msg 2114

so I dad this same problem. at 1st it was only doing this with my stepsons number. and to be honset i couldnt figure it out and thought his mom got in his phone and blocked my number just to be mean and start trouble. that was all i could think of cause it was just his number, and my husband had no problem texting his son. and even got replies. so i guess anyone could see why i thought what i thought. but anyway 9 months later out of the blue another contact started doing this. never had any problem with her number befor just flat out of the blue. so this is how i finally fixed it to fix the problem on sending text to my friend and to come to find out it actully fixed the problem period. even my stepson number was fixed. i open the icon were you go to recieve and send text message. then puch the blackberry icon button thats right beside the send button. scroll down to options and select. then select inbox settings. make sure there is a check in the little square beside SMS And MMS if not check it. from there exit back out and try sending a text message to number that been having the problem. it should work for there but if not return back using same way before but after selecting options select General Options. then scoll down until you come to Show Recent Contacts When Composing Email. change that to no. back out and also drop back in to inbox settings to double check that the little box still has check in it. that will fix the problem i Promise!

• 9. Re: error: msg 2114
    1Natesmom Newbie

Thank you, ROBATCH!!  Resetting the settings worked!!!

• 10. Re: error: msg 2114
    NinersToTheBowl Newbie

OMG!!! It worked... I deleted the contact, deleted the texts and any threads the number was involved in. Then I texted the number again with the area code and it went through. Then I created the contact again. Great success! Thank the gods for this thread!

• 11. Re: error: msg 2114
    Social Care
    NinersToTheBowl This is great news! I'm glad to see that the issue was resolved. If you need any assistance in the future, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We want to know that everything is working well for you. Desiree Sprint Social Care
  • 12. Re: error: msg 2114
    psc777 Newbie

Still does not work on my iphone 6+   I am at a loss here.  I tried all the things I found around the net.

Deleting everything with that number in it, and the error message.  Delete the contact, reset network settings,  turning off imessage  sms etc,  restarting, try to text before turning settings on,  after turning settings on,  add the contact  all using the 10 digit code.    Same **** error!! 

You would think by now they would fix this.  I am at a loss.