8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2013 1:14 PM by BeameOhio RSS

Motorola Admiral - First Android with Sprint Direct Connect available now

Scott_VA Product Ambassador
Currently Being Moderated

admiral2.jpg

On October 23rd Sprint launched the second of three new Sprint Direct Connect devices that will be available this year. You may remember that Sprint launched a similar product 3 years ago that was called Nextel Direct Connect on Sprint. This time around the devices are being marketed as Sprint Direct Connect. But the important thing is that there is more in play here then some marketing name changes. This new launch involved a major upgrade to the original back end system that runs the service. There are all new servers geographically dispersed that run the system as well as new software and new clients that run on the handsets. These phones run on the CDMA EVDO Rev. A network and allow simultaneous P-T-T and data. There are several new features built into the phones such as the ability to Direct Connect up to 200 handsets in a TeamDC call as well as availability notification which alerts you when a user is available to DC if you try them when they are already on a DC call.

Admiral Features:

• Sprint Direct Connect
  • 3.1" Touchscreen + QWERTY Keypad
  • Android Gingerbread 2.3.5
  • Powerful 1.2GHz processor makes multitasking and web browsing a breeze
  • Designed to meet Mil-Spec 810G for dust, shock, vibration, temperature extremes, pressure and solar radiation
  • Corning® Gorilla® Glass touchscreen display provides resistance to scratches and greater damage resistance from impact.
  • Motorola Media Link (MML) lets you quickly download music, photos and videos from your PC or Mac® directly to and from your phone.
  • Data encryption (256-bit AES) of device and SD card can be enabled manually, via settings or enforced via EAS policy
  • Loud front facing speaker designed for Direct Connect calls
  • 5.0 Megapixel Camera with flash and camcorder
  • 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
  • Mobile Hotspot Capability
  • A 32GB expandable memory card slot
  • 1860 mAh battery

Sprint Direct Connect services:

• Direct Connect® - Instant, one-to-one push-to-talk calling nationwide, with any other Direct Connect subscriber. Direct Connect is the core push-to-talk feature and is designed for interoperability across Sprint and Nextel network platforms.
  • Guaranteed Talk Permit - The assurance that when you hear the push-to-talk "chirp" that your call was successfully transmitted.
  • Call Alert with Text - Send an audio alert with an optional text message to let another Direct Connect subscriber know you are trying to reach them and why.
  • Group Connect®** - Communicate with up to 20 other Sprint Direct Connect subscribers all at once - nationwide, at the push of one button.
  • TeamDCSM - Communicate with up to 200 other Sprint Direct Connect subscribers at the same time nationwide1.
  • NextMail® - Send a recorded message to any email worldwide or mobile handset via text message by using the Direct Connect button.
  • Availability Notification - Request the availability status of another push-to-talk member and, if they are busy, request a notification when they are free.

The launch of the new Sprint Direct Connect service is extremely important for Sprint and is the answer to the planned shutdown of the Nextel iDEN network. Give the new Direct Connect service a try. I have been using this phone for a few months and this is definitely a game changer. One thing to note at this time is that the phone is only available online and via telesales until it launches in store on November 13th.

The Sprint Product Ambassador Team

• 1. Motorola Admiral - First Android with Sprint Direct Connect available now
    SueSBS Sprint Employee

Any early favorites for features or apps?

• 2. Motorola Admiral - First Android with Sprint Direct Connect available now
    TK241 Silver Expert

SueSBS wrote:

Any early favorites for features or apps?

Nice question, i have a good answer, my early fave for features is the fact that it does data much faster than my I1, not that that one wasn`t a bad handset, it just couldn`t do data very well .  As to apps, i`ve found a few that i personally like (all of `em are kinda dedicated ones for my ham radio intrest), Echolink, for one (note to the other hams on here, if ya want a really SWEET ap, check out the echolink one...very nice!).  TK241

• 3. Motorola Admiral - First Android with Sprint Direct Connect available now
    oDAN51 Regular Visitor

If you want direct connect run back to where you got this and give

it back and dont take the bait and switch...

• 4. Motorola Admiral - First Android with Sprint Direct Connect available now
    TK241 Silver Expert

oDAN51 wrote:

If you want direct connect run back to where you got this and give

it back and dont take the bait and switch...

Your openion is accepted and i know there`s some bugs in this unit, but this is probably just the first iteration of the handset, and i`m predicting that there`ll be a slew of firmware revisions comming down the pipe kinda soon.  If enough people complain about these issues (intermittent Wifi, DC issues, and the one i mentioned in a review about problems with a (wired) earpiece, mabey...just MABEY, the folks at Sprint will kinda put a fire under the feet of the folks at Motorola to come up with some bugfixes.  Also, PTT was not the first reason i got this `un, the fact that i`ll have voice calling (albiet roamming, no biggie) up north where i didn`t with my IDEN unit was the first reason, and the important one, although DC is a nice bonus , even if it does have some bugs, as i said, i bet there`ll be some updates for this `un in the (somewhat) near feuture, we`ll have to see there.  TK241

• 5. Re: Motorola Admiral - First Android with Sprint Direct Connect available now
    surveyor100 Newbie

I had to spend at least an hour on the phone with all four Admirals I recently received as replacements, since the units I had were not going to be compatible with the new Sprint DC.  The problem was always that the DC software was not on the phone as shipped. After spending 3 hours going from first reponder to tech support, to tech support superivisor to supervisor's supervisor with the first, gettig no resolution, I called the next morning and the first responder fixed it in 5 minutes. As I had tried to convince the others, the DC software was just not on the phone. She listened and pushed it to my phone and voila, fixed!.  The three others wouldn't listen either until as a last resort, they pushed it to the phone and fixed them. Afterwards, the phones work just fine in DC. They now use the phone's cell number instead of a completely different number required by Nextel. We use them mainly for DC, but also send pics of jobs over email. The photos are fabulous and if you know or can learn the Android systen, the phone does all it claims, except for the very low battery time.   

• 6. Re: Motorola Admiral - First Android with Sprint Direct Connect available now
    MURPHCOAIRcond Newbie

Did your (Sprint) Admirals work at all on direct connect or was the service just horrible and very spotty.

I have gotten several Admirals as ( Sprint upgrades) and find them to be pretty much useless most of the time for both Phone and direct connect ( The old blackberrys worked a lot better) . Tech support keeps telling me there are tower problems in my area, but nothing has changed in the last 2 months since getting the Admirals.

So I was just wondering if yours had worked at all before trying to  requesting the Software push to the devices.

The admirals are really horrible:

1.  New Customer calls office for service or installation , office can not contact any one in field either by phone, direct connect , text or e mail for hours some times, eventually get  someone that can be contacted , try to schedule customer , they already got someone else.

SPRINT = UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS AND LOST REVENUE !

2. Existing customer calls office or cell phone , same case as above, maybe they dont call someone else, but their still not happy that they were not taken care of properly.

SPRINT = UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS AND POSSIBLE LOST REVENUE

3. Office or employees need to contact you for jobsite change decisions, no one can get you on the( SPRINT NETWORK,) so employees have to be idle because the SPRINT NETWORK does not work. Customers wonder why men are standing around doing nothing while they are paying them.

SPRINT = UNHAPPY CUSTOMERS AND LOST REVENUE

So if you like losing money and having unhappy customer let Sprint switch all your old Nextel lines to the NEW SPRINT NETWORK.

And tell you it will cost you thousands of dollars to cancel your existing contract because they just made you upgrade your phones that worked on the NEXTEL network to phones that do not work on the SPRINT NETWORK.

I honestly think that THE NEW SPRINT NETWORK is useless for direct connect and very very poor for cell service .

I have had to set up 5 lines on another Carrier before THE NEW SPRINT NETWORK put me out of business.

• 7. Re: Motorola Admiral - First Android with Sprint Direct Connect available now
    Nawrocki95 Newbie

run away from this phone it is the biggest piece of **** sprint / motoral have come out with and neither will stand behind the product been through 3 of the phones but i am locked in a contract and there is no option but to cancle my contract per Sprint, pretty much i was told ***** you it your phone and we dont care our service and hardware suck on it, as for the network my wifes phone an iphone 4s is great on the network.

Seriously ****** former Nextel now unhappy Sprint customer

• 8. Re: Motorola Admiral - First Android with Sprint Direct Connect available now
    BeameOhio Newbie

Not sure if its the network or the phone...but its not working. Constant face dialing call dropping and direct connect....not even close to what it was. Worst phone I've ever had, kept it because of the direct connect and it lost all my customers DC numbers..... No strong contact software, always rely on third party for back up. Back up with so many, now have to run duplicate finder to delete until next up date. Should field test this equipment before selling to public. Lock me into two year contract and remain very disappointed.  Phone tries to do to much and dosent accomplish a main function..making a simple call!!!!   Slow hang up, reset phone or just hangs in an eternal loop til you shut down the phone.

Goes to lock out screen while performing functions.

Call for site problems or phone issues and they always blaime it on tower site issues without soulutions....................

Not Happy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...