This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2011 7:33 PM by patternmatch RSS

Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?

patternmatch Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have seen a couple of posts on other threads claiming that the Bill to Account option has been removed from the Android App Market.  I'm not sure whether or not to believe it, because just today I saw the option there when about to purchase an app, and now (for the same app) it is not showing up.  Can we get some confirmation from Sprint whether or not this is true?  And if it is true, why was the change made?

Thanks!

• 1. Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    vera20044 Newbie

well i just checked right now and i can still charge to my sprint account.

• 2. Re: Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

patternmatch-Bill to Account  still available on Android App Market.Only time Bill To Account option on Android Market no longer available is  because if  customer  would have exceeded $50.00 in transaction charges for the current month. If charges exceeded their 50.00 per bill cycle limit and and customer must complete the transaction using a credit card.

Hope this helps

Abe

• 3. Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    treymok.amaterasu Newbie

Actually I had this happen the other day. Called Google they said call Sprint. Called Sprint they said call Google. Finally how I fixed it was I went into Google Checkout and manually removed my Sprint billing as a payment method. Then cleared data on the Android Market on my phone. Rebooted my phone and it was back to working.

• 4. Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    patternmatch Newbie

abe2020, thank you for the confirmation.  By "$50.00 in transaction charges", do you mean having $50 billed to my account for things other than phone service?  I ask because I have not billed anything to my account this month, so I don't think that could be why I'm not seeing the bill to account option.

Do you have a way for me to get the bill to account option to appear again for apps in the Market?  I read treymok.amaterasu's reply and I'm not able to clear data for the Market on my phone (the "Clear Data" button for Market under Settings -> Applications -> Storage Use is grayed out).

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    treymok.amaterasu Newbie

I would think you would need to have Titanium Backup or some other application that can clear data from system apps. On a side note, how is abe2020's answer correct if neither of us were anywhere near the $50 monthly limit?

• 6. Re: Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

patternmatch-Go to  Google Checkout and manually remove my Sprint billing as a payment method. Then clear data on the Android Market on the phone. Reboot the  phone and should be working fine.

Hope this helps

Abe

• 7. Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    patternmatch Newbie

I'm sorry, Abe, but you seem to have replied to my post without reading it, so I'm going to ask my questions again.

1. How can the bill to account option have been disabled if I have never charged anything to my account?

2. I cannot clear Android Market data on my phone; the button to do so is grayed out.  How can I work around this?  treymok suggests Titanium Backup; are there other ways to clear data from system apps?

Thanks!

• 8. Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

I  just gave a reason  why Bill to Account can be disabled from the Android App Market.If you have not purchased any App and Bill to account option is disabled, not sure why application is not showing up "Bill my Sprint Account".I have HTC Evo phone.Anytime I buy App from the market I get an option to select payment method.From the drop down box there should be an option for Bill  my Sprint a/c.

This should be the steps

To put your Android Market purchase on your monthly Sprint bill:

1. Access the Android Market on your phone and search for the application you want to purchase
    2. On the application description screen, tap Buy
    3. Tap OK to accept permissions for the application
    4. On the Google checkout page, tap the Select payment method drop down
    5. Select Bill my Sprint account and tap OK
    6. On the Sprint Billing Agreement screen, verify your address is correct; if you need to change it, tap the pencil icon next to the address listed
    7. Review the Terms of Use and tap Accept
    8. You will return to the Google checkout page; tap to check the box to confirm you agree to the payment terms of service
    9. Tap the Buy now button to complete the purchase and download the application.

Try couple of Options

You have to access Google Checkout from your computer first and remove it from your payment methods. Then you should be able to go in through the Android Market on your phone and try to purchase the app you want. When it asks your payment method you can choose to add your cell billing back on.

Another Option

Go to Applications>Manage Applications and hit the ALL tab.  You will want to go to HTC Message Uploader and clear the data, then go to Market and clear data AND cache.Then you will want to reboot the device completely, or, even better, just turn it off for a few minutes.   Boot it back, then go to market and it should have you needing to "Accept" again.  This is a good sign.  Then go and try to buy a random program, and from the options, "Bill to Sprint" should be open to you.

Let me know.

• 9. Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    patternmatch Newbie

Thank you for the additional info, Abe.  I have removed the Sprint account option from Google Checkout using my computer.  I have also cleared the data for the HTC Message Uploader according to your suggestion.  The one thing you suggested that I have not done is clearing the data for the Market.  I cannot do this because the button is grayed out.  So, my questions are now as follows:

1. Do I need root access on my phone to clear Market data (that is, to make the button non-grayed-out)?

2. Is there any other way to clear Market data, or reinstall the Market application itself?

3. Is there another way to add my Sprint account to my payment options via Google Checkout directly, or by a Sprint tech?

Thanks!

• 10. Re: Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

I wouldn’t suggest you to root the phone because rooting phone voids manufacturer warranty. I would suggest you to update the Android Market using this URL link  http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/08/23/download-android-market-3-1-3-adds-1-for-apps-and-games-pin-number-for-purchases-and-more/  and try again. If this steps don’t work I would suggest you to  back up the contacts to the SD Card and perform Factory Reset on the phone.

• 11. Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    SamCat45 Newbie

If Sprint billing is not showing up it may mean that Google believes that carrier billing should not be presented for that devcie.  That can happen if the account has been set to block billing for apps.  Log into sprint.com and at the top click on My Sprint then My preferences.  Once on this page click on "Block apps & digital media downloads" under limits and permissions.  If this is not set to allow Sprint billing will not be presented. 

FYI, you need to have an account holder login to access this area.

If you are the account holder and this is the issue, change it, reboot your device and see if Sprint billing is back.

• 12. Bill To Account removed from Android App Market?
    patternmatch Newbie

Hello again,

I installed the new Market at the link you provided (after learning that it was safe to install due to the presence of the signing key), and after that I was able to "Clear Data" for the application.  After doing this, and restarting my phone just in case, the "Bill to Account" option reappeared when I tried buying an app.  I was able to set it up correctly and successfully purchased an app...so my problem is solved!

Thanks for your help, and thanks for suggesting the updated Market app...I didn't know there was a newer version since HTC hadn't pushed one out to me.  Strange that Google doesn't offer a direct download for it, but I hear it's due to licensing the app through the handset manufacturers.

Anyway, I'm all set, so thanks again!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points