This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2011 1:16 PM by BdonMack RSS

HTC Evo Shift screen freezing after 2.76.651.6 update

BdonMack Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Phone's info:

Android 2.3.3

HTC Sense 2.1

Software 2.76.651.6 (latest update as of 10/11)

My phone consistently will freeze after extended periods of non-use, which basically means every morning. The touch screen will be perfertly fine and useable all day until I wake up in the morning and the phone has been sitting for 7-8 hours. It will remain frozen for about 2 minutes - unable to do anything - then will be perfectly fine all day. Seems like it unfreezes by sliding the keyboard in and out continually.  This has happened for about 4 straight days now and it seems like it only started happening after I updated the phone to 2.76.651.6.

Any suggestions of what to do? Anyone else experiencing this? Tough to troubleshoot too since it takes about a full day as I have to wait until the morning to see if any changes help.

I also have the terrible issue with HTC Sense reloading every time I close out of an application, but I've come to just accept that. Seems like there's no hope left for this phone and I have over 400 days until my next upgrade thanks to Premier Program being shut down.

Really do not want to do a factory reset either :/

• 1. Re: HTC Evo Shift screen freezing after 2.76.651.6 update
    raylitherland67 Sprint Employee

Have you tried taking your phone into a service and repair store? http://sprintstorelocator.com/. The service and repair store will be able to run a diagnostic test and determine if it is a device defect. If you have TEP(Total Equipment Protection), there will be no charge, if you don't have TEP, there will be a $35.00 charge.

Thanks,

Ray

• 2. Re: HTC Evo Shift screen freezing after 2.76.651.6 update
    BdonMack Regular Visitor

I do have the TEP on my account but I'd rather avoid going into the store for tests if I can. I've been toying with it - removing various apps and so forth - everyday in an attempt to see if it's fixable. Do not currently have any task killers or anything like that. My apps are all mostly games, wallpapers, or sports related (ScoreCenter, etc.). Removed the Lookout app last night. Phone did not freeze this morning but I did get a phone call which I did not answer. Not sure if the call kicked it out of its frozen state or not. Going to have to wait until tomorrow to find out. Will continue to report my findings.

• 3. HTC Evo Shift screen freezing after 2.76.651.6 update
    wasbakntyme Bronze Expert

It is always a good idea to do a factory reset after a software upgrade.  Doing so may clear up most of your problems.  Make sure you back up everything first; Mybackuppro from the Android market is a good app to back up your data, and of course syncing your mail, contacts, and calendar to gmail is also recommended.  Be aware that if you take your phone to a repair center, the first thing they will do is a factory reset, and they will NOT back up your data first. 

• 4. HTC Evo Shift screen freezing after 2.76.651.6 update
    BdonMack Regular Visitor

It has now been two days without freezing. Seems like after I deleted the Lookout app that may have did the trick, but who knows. I also ran a PRL and profile update as well. If the problem persists I will try the factory reset but as of now it seems I may be good to go.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points