This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2011 12:14 PM by pjh42 RSS

Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??

mp4evr Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I've had my phone now for a yr.  I really hate this phone and I'm ready to replace it, do I really have to pay full price for the phone?  Shouldn't there be some kind of rewards for good customers after a yr or something?  I think you should be able to get some kind of discount on a phone after a yr.  Just venting...

• 1. Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    SprintCares Sprint Employee

Hi,

If your looking for discount equipment now, you can check the http://www.sprint.com/phones site.

On the bottom right where it says Condition under that click the check box next to Pre-owned.

That will show you all the refurbished devices at reduced cost we currently have avaliable.

Thank you,

----George

• 2. Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    hurricanehearted Valued Member

Under the Sprint Premiere Program, there was a yearly discount... of $75. Even then, it was hardly a substantial amount.

The fact is, every service provider has a two-year contract for your phone; it is what it is. If you really wanted another phone, though, I'd recommend buying a Sprint phone off of eBay or Craigslist, or even a friend who might have a Sprint phone lying around. I cannot stress that enough-- it has to be Sprint. Back in the day, after leaving T-Mobile, I took my Sidekick with me to AT&T because I loved it so much. Even though they're on the same kind of network, I couldn't use the internet. I could only call and text.

After you've bought it, just call in to activate it on your line. It might take a day or two, and you'll have to pay a $36 activation fee (well... I've heard of people who didn't have to pay that fee just for activation), but you'll have another phone that you like. And you can actually find new phones online for sale on eBay. I've done it a million times.

• 3. Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    Skorpio1313 Expert

mp4evr...there's been mulitple instances i the 13 years i have been with Sprint that i have decided i wanted a different phone, before my upgrade date. I've always had great luck looking on Ebay or on Mobile Karma. Sprint also has a great selection of refurbished phones, right here on their website. It all comes down to how badly do you want that new phone. I've paid a lot of money and i've paid a little bit of money.  Hope all the answers help you decided what ya wanna do!

• 4. Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    Valued Member

Yep.  Your stuck with it man.  I was stuck with that sorry excuse of a phone HTC Hero for two full years.  Had the Rumor for two years before that.  And some small silver flip phone from 2005 for over two years before the Rumor.  Always make sure its a phone you will want for two years or pay full price for a new phone or buy a used Sprint phone somewhere.  Look into which companies back up their product and continue to put out updates on their older products instead of jumping ship to their new phone they got coming out.  Try craigslist man.  Just make sure the phone isn't stolen first.  I would have them meet you at a sprint store to verify.  If you buy off ebay, you will be taking a gamble

• 5. Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    pjh42 Regular Visitor

I'm in the middle of a two-year two-line family plan contract. Are you saying that even if I were willing to extend my present contract by two years, I still would not get the "new customer" price on a new phone?

What's the rationale for that?

Detect language » English
    S
  • 6. Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    Valued Member

Yep.  Thats what I'm saying.  There is nothing rational about Sprint current thinking

• 7. Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

The subsidies have to be "paid" back.  If we let customers simply "renew" their already existing 2 year agreement and get "another" subsidy or discount, how could we ever pay back the purchase price of the first phone we sold at a discount?  And where we would draw the line if this was the case.  A customer could essentially upgrade their phone for the discounted price every month.  This would not be viable since Sprint is "subsidizing" a discounted phone in lieu of a customer's committment for 2 years.  And we just lowered the upgrade timeframe from 22 months to 20 months, further rewarding our loyal customers.  Now a customer is eligible for an update discount (equipment subsidy) after only 20 months of consecutive service. 

Tom

• 8. Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    mp4evr Regular Visitor

Thanks Tom.  I was just reading up on that new policy.  Its a little better, but I still have to wait 6 months before I can upgrade.  I think that after a year being current on your bill, loyal/good customers should be rewarded after, say 12 to 14 months into their contract.  I've held up my end of the contract, the customer should be rewarded for that.

• 9. Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    pjh42 Regular Visitor

Tom,  I suggested adding two years to the existing contract. Sprint would have a shorter period to recoup the discount but the way smartphones are evolving, I think you'll find that people who use them will change carriers as often as possible in order to have the latest and greatest.  I'm at the one-year point and can save $150 in 250 days with a 2 year contract. That's $150 off the retail price, right? New customers are being offered a much bigger discount than that! I'm looking at the Epic Touch 4G. Retail $500. Me in 250 days, $350. New customer, $200. Where's the customer loyalty there?  Oh, I've had FIVE consecutive years of service. And my reward is that I have to keep a phone that the manufacturer itself has stopped upgrading for another 9+ months?  Have a happy Thanksgiving.

• 10. Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    3020fjr2 Bronze Expert

pjh42 wrote:

Tom,  I suggested adding two years to the existing contract. Sprint would have a shorter period to recoup the discount but the way smartphones are evolving, I think you'll find that people who use them will change carriers as often as possible in order to have the latest and greatest.  I'm at the one-year point and can save $150 in 250 days with a 2 year contract. That's $150 off the retail price, right? New customers are being offered a much bigger discount than that! I'm looking at the Epic Touch 4G. Retail $500. Me in 250 days, $350. New customer, $200. Where's the customer loyalty there?  Oh, I've had FIVE consecutive years of service. And my reward is that I have to keep a phone that the manufacturer itself has stopped upgrading for another 9+ months?  Have a happy Thanksgiving.

pjh42 you are missed informed When you are done with the 2 years of your contract and get the 150 dollar discount you will be able to get the phone at $200. You will get the same price as new costumer assuming you sign another 2 year contract. You get all the discount and rebate not just 150 off the phone.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

• 11. Re: Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    pjh42 Regular Visitor

I  went to "My Account" at Sprint and selected "upgrade this phone". I got a "no discount available" link. I clicked on it and got:

Save $150 on a new device for MYNAME <my cell number> in 249 day(s) on Aug 01 2012.

To receive your discount, you'll need to sign up for a 2-yr. agreement.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Message was edited by: mapesy

• 12. Re: Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

The 150 is a minimum savings  you would see  different phones have have different savings  you will get  At the current time   You would get 150 or best discount.   If you were eligible for a discount right now the Iphone 4s would cost 199 which is more than 150 dollars off the cost of the device.

• 13. Re: Do I really have to wait 2 yrs to replace my phone??
    pjh42 Regular Visitor

It doesn't say "minimum savings". It says what it says.

How do you know that what you say is true and that the Sprint website is wrong?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points