1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2011 11:56 AM by fireguy_6364 RSS

Why am I Roaming at home?

neomatrixgod Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I checked with my local Sprint store and they showed me a map of coverage. My area is solid orange and was supposed to be perfect coverage. I got home and realized that within a mile of my home my phone started roaming. On my way back to the store it came back on a few miles away from home. Once I got to the store the representative said my phone wasn't updated and updated the profiles, data, and other areas. Once she did that, she checked the map again, and said all should be fine. I got home and BAM, I'm roaming again. WTH? I need this phone for work and need to be able to be contacted 24 hours a day. I left perfect service at T-Mobile for this. Please help me get this resolved! If it can't be resolved, do I have a grace period to return the phone and negate this usage?

• 1. Why am I Roaming at home?
    rick.spencer Bronze Expert

neomatrixgod wrote:

I checked with my local Sprint store and they showed me a map of coverage. My area is solid orange and was supposed to be perfect coverage. I got home and realized that within a mile of my home my phone started roaming. On my way back to the store it came back on a few miles away from home. Once I got to the store the representative said my phone wasn't updated and updated the profiles, data, and other areas. Once she did that, she checked the map again, and said all should be fine. I got home and BAM, I'm roaming again. WTH? I need this phone for work and need to be able to be contacted 24 hours a day. I left perfect service at T-Mobile for this. Please help me get this resolved! If it can't be resolved, do I have a grace period to return the phone and negate this usage?

I would ask the Store rep if they would allow you to take another phone home with you (demo or whatever) and see if it does the same thing.  This would (most likely) establish if it is a phone or tower problem.  Sprint's coverage map is not very accurate right now and they are undergoing major changes with their network system so it could be the signal. On the other side of the coin there have been a lot of people complaining of similar issues with the Epic Touch.  You could try to update your profile and prl at home yourself.  I would recommend doing the prl first then profile.  Good luck, Rick

• 2. Why am I Roaming at home?
    Happyloon2 Regular Visitor

Just dont use your phone at home problem solved

• 3. Re: Why am I Roaming at home?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

You only have 14 days including the day you received it.  It's most likely you don't have good indoor coverage.  Sprint will sometimes provide a free airave device and if it can get a GPS lock in your home it will give you excellent coverage, however, while you are trying this if the 14 days expires you are stuck.

One of our users gets no Sprint service or GPS lock at home so she must use Google Voice & GrooveIP (over her WiFi network) to use her Sprint phone at home.  We know to try the Google Voice number first when trying to reach her. 

If there is any doubt cancel and go back to T-Mobile.  You don't want months of frustration and unless you can get it in writing that they will waive the 14 day rule it's not worth the risk. 

Cheers,

PS: Loon, you're becoming that wacky jester juggling around the square saying silly stuff that just makes folks laugh.  Enjoy your day.

• 4. Why am I Roaming at home?

I went to my Sprint store today and showed them vidcaps of the screen during my roaming time and he said that it shouldn't be like that. He changed some settings, said if it still didn't work, then it was a defective device and they will switch it out for me tomorrow. Here I am at home, and yay, I'm not roaming. Why? Because now I have no service here now. >:( Good news is I am only 3 days into my 14 day grace period.

• 5. Why am I Roaming at home?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

Download the OpenSignal App and see if you have any towers nearby that can penetrate your home's walls.  If not, also download the GPS Test App from Chartcross and see if you have a decent lock inside the house or by a window.  If so the airave device may fix your problem. 

Best of luck to you.  14 days goes by real fast...

Cheers,

• 6. Why am I Roaming at home?
    cb_bears Regular Visitor

I have this same issue. I live in Chicago and have had perfect coverage with Sprint for 9  years now. During that time, I have roamed twice ever, and both times  was in the middle of nowhere in southern Illinois. Since buying this  phone last night I have had a data connection for a total of maybe 10  combined minutes (and when I did, it was slow) and my phone has gone  into roaming about a dozen times.

I've always had 5 or 6 bars in my house, and I have yet to reach 2 since I got the phone.

• 7. Re: Why am I Roaming at home?
    m3jia Valued Member

Same here, my borther has the iPhone on Sprint and his signal is great. I just bought 3 SG2's for the rest of the family and my signal is terrible, 1-2 bars. Sprint on the phone can't help. \

I have 14 days so I might just return them.

• 8. Re: Why am I Roaming at home?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

m3jia wrote:

Same here, my borther has the iPhone on Sprint and his signal is great. I just bought 3 SG2's for the rest of the family and my signal is terrible, 1-2 bars. Sprint on the phone can't help. \

I have 14 days so I might just return them.

I assume you live in an area that does not get Sprint 4G WiMAX service for data.  The 1-2 bars are they 3G? Can you make and maintain a solid voice call but data service is slow?  If so, it may be this phone model is not going to work well in your area and you should definately return them within 14 days beacuse there have been numerous reports of weak connectivity on the SG2 (we have several wkg in multiple cities with few complaints) and you never know when/if an update will resolve the issue for you. 

Cheers,

• 9. Re: Why am I Roaming at home?
    m3jia Valued Member

Does 4g = Wimax? According to their maps my service should be great for all, voice/3g/4g.

In my house it has been OK today, but when I go down to the downstairs apt 4g is lost and it roams. I need to do some more testing today as I thought roaming was charged so I turned it off, since my mother lives down there I am more worried about her being able to make calls. If that happens to be on roaming I could possibly live with that as long as Sprint can.

My issue today and yesterday has been walking up/down, my 4g would not come back for a while and I would get what I think is LOS. With the new update I'm hoping I get some fixes for this, it should come within 10 days so I will test the **** out of it and if it's not working OK I'll make the call. I activated yesterday so hopefully the new update come sonner than the 10 days for me.

• 10. Why am I Roaming at home?
    fireguy_6364 Master

downstairs meaning you are now surrounded by even more things. walls, floors, electrical wiring, plumbing, etc. same issue with people that work in office buildings. the closer to the windows you are the better reception you will have. further in and it drops.

• 11. Why am I Roaming at home?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

fireguy_6364 wrote:

downstairs meaning you are now surrounded by even more things. walls, floors, electrical wiring, plumbing, etc. same issue with people that work in office buildings. the closer to the windows you are the better reception you will have. further in and it drops.

The only concern I see is that his brother's Sprint iPhone works great on 3G inside their home.  With all the problems people are having with Spint 3G and iPhones and this one works great, I'm concerned the Epic 4G Touch has less capabilities indoors than the iPhone and I wouldn't want him to keep it beyond the remorse period if it's not going to work properly.

Cheers,

• 12. Why am I Roaming at home?
    m3jia Valued Member

Ok, so looks like I kin of jacked this thread. I've done a lot of testing today around the house and out, it has been fine all day in my floor, service and 2-4 bars of 4g, when I go down it gets a bit worse but I was able to pin point the room where it jus goes away - not even roaming works. This is very weird because of regardless of where it is, T mobile has never had an issue with this house. Now unless I'm not seeing a difference in how the technology between the carriers work I think that is a big deal for SPrint.

So I did call and troubleshooted the some more, the usual stuff but I just follow along as I bet they hate the "know it alls", ultimately they suggested an airwave device and I'm getting one shipped tomorrow(no charge). It will be here in time for the 14 day cut off, if that doesn't solve my problem I'll have to look elsewhere for my mobile services.

About my brothers iphone, I tested the speeds and they were pretty crappy but he doesn't have the outage issues, I think the epic just has weak signal so in that one room it totally blows. The slow speeds I guess is just Sprint, but I'll be OK with that.

• 13. Why am I Roaming at home?

No worries. You can jack all you want ... wait ... nevermind haha

I have called Sprint numerous times and I keep getting the same run around. Tower down, will be fixed soon, we'll call you. Friday, tomorrow, marks day 14. Thankfully I get paid tomorrow and I will be jumping back to T-Mobile. My question now is ... Should I consider what I paid to start this fiasco a write off or will I be getting it back?

• 14. Why am I Roaming at home?
    m3jia Valued Member

Good luck to you! I was with t mobile for many years but recently they had really been dropping the ball on me. I hope Sprint works out for me or else I need to go on one of the more expensive carriers.

What did you pay to start? My understanding is you can cancel everything and get refunded for the phone.

I only paid 1 cent for my phone so if in 14 days I'm not happy I'll just cancel and look at other options.

Did they not offer the Airave free of charge to you? They did that for me yesterday, at this point I guess I would cancel since your 14 days are up.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...