1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2014 12:51 PM by SprintCare Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS

JWLgh Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

I have a new Android Smartphone from Sprint and I can not receive voice mail.  Everytime someone leave me a voice message I get a text message from 650-603-0000 telling me that someone has sent a Voice SMS Message and to call that number to hear it.  I do not have Voice SMS service, and when I call I just get a busy signal.  But there is never a message in my regular voice mail, even though people have told me they left voice messages.  How do I disable this Voice SMS service and get regular voice mail?

Thanks.

• 1. Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    blakroc Valued Member

sounds like you need to call sprint and have them reset your  voicemail.  

either that or you need to set up your voice mail on your new phone. 

gl.. 

• 2. Re: Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    JWLgh Valued Member

I have set up the regular voice mail, but the Voice SMS is intercepting it.  Right after I got the phone I received a text from "Android" which asked me if I had purchased some sort of handheld device: "press 1 for no and 2 for yes".  Something to that effect.  The question was worded confusingly but I pressed yes because I had just received the phone.  Ever since I receive these texts from the same number but can not get voice mail.

• 3. Re: Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    JPSquared Sprint Employee

Hello!

If on the dialing pad, if you press and hold the 1 key, it should be able to dial into your Voicemail. Let me know if you can access it that way and that will let us know how we can best proceed. (Obviously, you still shouldn't be receiving those messages, but we need to identify where the trouble is first.)

Also which Samsung Android do you have?

• 4. Re: Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    JWLgh Valued Member

Thanks, I was finally able to listen to ten messages that had been backlogged!  But when I click the voicemail ap it just says "You have no voicemail messages" and wouldn't even dial in to let me check.  And I hate getting those annoying texts.

To answer your other question, it is a Samsung Conquer.

• 5. Re: Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    JPSquared Sprint Employee

Getting you access to your voicemail was just step one. Step two is to get your visual voicemail working properly, so it will stop those texts.

This is usually one of two things. Either the Visual Voicemail didn't activate itself properly or you are using a third party text messaging program which is intercepting the notification to the Voicemail app before it can hide it.

To reactivate your voicemail, go into the Voicemail application and compose a new voicemail mail. You will want to send it to the following email address : activate@vvm.sprint.com  You will likely need to record a second or so, but the recording doesn't matter. This will reactivate the phone with the voicemail server and may get the issue corrected.

If you are using a third party text messaging app (GoSMS, ChompSMS, etc), depending on the application many of them will have an option that needs to be adjusted to correct this. If you are using one, let me know and I can see if I can locate that setting for you. Alternatively, if you do search on here or Google, you can likely find someone with the same app and same issue and how they fixed it.

If none of this applies, we will likely have to take a more in depth look at why your phone isn't handling those messages correctly. Hopefully one of the above will get this sorted out for you though!

• 6. Re: Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    JWLgh Valued Member

Thanks for folowing up on this, and sorry for the delayed reply.  I do use GoSMS, but I believe I was having this problem before I installed it.  I think it either has to do with a voice mail I got from "Android" right after I bought the phone which had me confirm that I had purchased a handheld device, or with the voice-to-text trial menu in my phone which I may have activated inadvertantly.  In any case, I did compose a voice mail and send it to activate@wm.sprint.com, but nothing seemed to happen.  After it sent, I didn't receive anything and I continue to get the text notifications of voicemail while the Voicemail app remains blissfully unaware that mail exists.

• 7. Re: Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

please send me a private message, I will gladly look into this.

• 8. Re: Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    JWLgh Valued Member

Still need help with this issue, if anyone can.

• 9. Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    Valued Member

try this:

go to voicemail icon > press the menu key > select settings > select unsubscribe > then tap ok.

• 10. Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    JWLgh Valued Member

In Voicemail > Menu > Settings > there is no unsubscribe option.  Just:

• Voicemail-to-text (which offers to sign me up for a free trial if clicked)
    • Personalize voicemail (which I have done)
    • Notifications
    • Inbox Sort Order
    • Pictures
    • Playback Screen
    • Speakerphone
    • Display Name
    • Check for Update
    • Help
    • About
  • 11. Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    Valued Member

if the option to unsubscribe is not visible, you are not subscribed to the voicemail. do you remeber setting up a google voice acct?

• 12. Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    JWLgh Valued Member

Honestly, I can't remember if I'd ever set up a google voice account.  I hadn't set one up with this phone, that I'm aware of.

• 13. Re: Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    Valued Member

you can check. just go to www.google.com/voice then log in using your google ussername and pword.

• 14. Re: Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

I'm more inclined to think it's caused by GO SMS because the voicemail notification comes in as a text message. The default messaging app intercepts this and displays as notification, rather than a text message. I cannot find an option in the GO SMS settings to do likewise. I believe the message you receive if a voicemail notification is actually displayed rather than hidden is:

//ANDROID:########## has sent you a Sprint Voice Message. Call ###-###-#### to listen. MMSN,(gibberish)//CM

So, if you get that message, I would uninstall GO SMS if you can't find the needed setting either. If you're getting a different message or this doesn't help, send me a private message and I can check for Google Voice integration and Visual Voicemail provisioning.

-Donnie

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...