This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2011 12:44 PM by wingland RSS

Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?

ab25 Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

What will the differences be between Sprints Network Vision and Verizon's Lte? I'm not very tech savvy so laymen's terms would be great. I'm contemplating whether or not its worth waiting around for Sprint to get this vision plan up and running or switch to Verizon now because they have 4g lte in my area. I'm not concerned about data caps so Sprint being unlimited is irrelevant. Thanks

• 1. Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    Expert

But Sprint is unlimited....lol.  I swear thats all I hear.  I cant really answer this question as I have no clue either.  I will be curious to see the answers.

I am confused about the Sprint network vision anyways.  Does this network vision require their 4G service for it?  Sprints 4G service comes from Clearwire correct?  Isnt clearwire going bankrupt?  Does the network vision not use Clearwire at all?

I have read different articles.  Some saying Sprint will need the clearwire network and others saying Sprint plans on not using their services anymore.  I dont remember reading anything from Sprint directly yet about the plans, how this will take place, when it will, and how it will effect me.

Last article I read was a from 2010 and said the network vision upgrades will start in 2011.  I wasnt aware Sprint had even started this yet so i would assume they are behind schedule.  It said it was also projected to take 3 to 5 years to complete. 

But then I read other stuff saying it will be done in 2012 and Sprint will start selling the LTE phones in summer 2012.  SO I have no clue.

If me I would go to Verizon since they already have it in your area and then give Sprint a look in 2 years.  Especially since the wonderful unlimited data isnt an issue with you and I believe Verizon is still ofering double the data right now.

• 2. Re: Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    MadnessUSMC Sprint Employee

Hi,

[...] Here is a brief explanation as an answer to the original question...

Sprint's Network Vision is the name that was given to our plans for our network. This covers our network upgrades, deployment of Sprint LTE as well as re-enforcing the current network we have in place. Verizon's LTE is just that, their LTE network which is their 4G network.

I hope this was helpful...

Message was edited by: mapesy

• 3. Re: Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    Expert

ChrisWeissSprint wrote:

Hi,

[...]. Here is a brief explanation as an answer to the original question...

Sprint's Network Vision is the name that was given to our plans for our network. This covers our network upgrades, deployment of Sprint LTE as well as re-enforcing the current network we have in place. Verizon's LTE is just that, their LTE network which is their 4G network.

So the difference between the two is that Verizons LTE is in place and Sprints is not? 

Could someone answer my questions as well if they know them?

• 4. Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    ab25 Valued Member

ChrisWeissSprint wrote:

Hi,

My name is Chris and if you couldn't tell, Im an employee of Sprint. Here is a brief explanation as an answer to the original question...

Thanks for the reply. So nothing different...I think that seals the deal for me. I dont feel like waiting around for something that I can have right now.

• 5. Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    VorlessDarkChaos Silver Expert

http://www.bgr.com/2011/12/14/clearwire-raises-another-734-million-in-funding-from-sprint-and-public-offering/

Clearwire announced recently that it has garnered another $734  million in funding after closing its public offering of Class A common  stock at $2.00 per share. The public offering earned Clearwire $384.1  million after commissions, and it pulled in an additional $331.4 million  selling Class B shares to Sprint. ”This equity raise is a critical step  for Clearwire to achieve its long-term business plan of creating the  first wide-channel TDD-LTE 4G network in the U.S.,” president and CEO of  Clearwire Erik Prusch said. “The added resources will enable us to  continue delivering 4G mobile broadband service to meet the rapidly  growing demand in the industry. We remain ideally and uniquely  positioned to serve both wholesale and retail customers well into the  future.” Read on for more.

Clearwire said it plans to use the new capital for “general corporate  and working capital purposes, including the deployment of mobile 4G LTE  technology alongside the mobile 4G WiMAX technology currently on its  network, and for the operation and maintenance of its networks, and to  pay fees and expenses associated with this offering.”

Sprint and Clearwire entered into a 4G WiMAX and LTE agreement on December 1st in which Clearwire could earn as much as $1.6 billion over the next four years selling its services to Sprint.

• 6. Re: Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

I think if you have strong 4G (WiMAX) in all the areas you are in Sprint is a fine choice, however, any 4G (WiMAX) device you buy today will only work on the existing 4G (WiMAX) network at 4G speeds.  The new Sprint LTE network will require new phones capable to connecting to their new LTE network. Sprint / Clear will support WiMAX through at least 2014.  Network Vision should be fully deployed by the end of 2013.  New Sprint LTE handset will begin rolling out in mid-2012 along with the phased introduction of Sprint's LTE network.

If you must decide today, understand that there will be some disruptions during a massive upgrade such as this.  Additionally several parts of the country don't currently have any 4G (WiMAX) so it really depends on whether data service is critical and whether you can receive good strong 4G signals in and outdoors in the areas you frequent.  Also remember that Sprint still uses CDMA for voice and cannot transmit or receive data via 3G when a call is active.  Data works fine over 4G (WiMAX) while on a voice call but with Sprint's limited 4G foot print this may be an issue.  Verizon has the same issue but a larger 4G footprint mitigates this somewhat.  AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM so simultaneous voice/data calls are not an issue (unless you are in a 2G EDGE area) but GSM as implemented by AT&T has way more dropped calls.

Our company just switched to Sprint and we find the business sales reps at Sprint to be more attentive and the service more that adequate for our needs.  When traveling outside our main office locations Sprint's 3G network has provided spotty performance (sub 200K throughput).  However, voice quality has been outstanding and we do not have nearly as many dropped calls as we did on AT&T.  When driving on Interstates the Sprint phones stay connected on even the longest conference calls. 

Do your research and choose wisely before committing to any 2 year contracts. 

Cheers,

• 7. Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    ab25 Valued Member

Why didn't Sprint implement the LTE technology instead of the wimax in the first place? Just curious to know if they didn't know about it or just thought the wimax was better.

• 8. Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    Expert

Probably financially.  It was probably cheaper to purchase 54% of clearwire than to upgrade all their towers as needed.  I think the other carriers were ahead in the 4G standpoint.  If Sprint bought the 4G from Clearwire (This 4G is nothing more than a wifi signal) than Sprint was able to offer 4G and seem competitive with the other carriers.  But as time goes on, this decision begins to show its true nature.

Sprint only delayed getting a true 4G network.  And now Clearwire is questionable in their future.  Only time will tell.

• 9. Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    ab25 Valued Member

Why does it seem like Sprint will always be behind the other guys. It sure didn't seem to be the case when they rolled out their 4g. They were at the top of the ladder and now towards the bottom. It's amazing how fast the tech world is moving.

• 10. Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    Expert

ab25 wrote:

Why does it seem like Sprint will always be behind the other guys. It sure didn't seem to be the case when they rolled out their 4g. They were at the top of the ladder and now towards the bottom. It's amazing how fast the tech world is moving.

Because they offer you unlimited data.  Enough said.  That is all you need

• 11. Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

ab25 wrote:

Why didn't Sprint implement the LTE technology instead of the wimax in the first place? Just curious to know if they didn't know about it or just thought the wimax was better.

Sprint was first to the 4G market using Clear's network.  This was primarily a marketing issue.  They didn't have the spectrum or the desire to spend money building out LTE but once it was apparent WiMAX wasn't going to see wide adoption they started a late move to get LTE.  Now Clear will also migrate to LTE. 

I also assume Klink is being sarcastic in that unlimited data is of little value if you can't get high speed 4G in areas outside major markets.

Cheers,

• 12. Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    Expert

Panzer06 wrote:

ab25 wrote:

Sprint was first to the 4G market using Clear's network.  This was primarily a marketing issue.  They didn't have the spectrum or the desire to spend money building out LTE but once it was apparent WiMAX wasn't going to see wide adoption they started a late move to get LTE.  Now Clear will also migrate to LTE. 

I also assume Klink is being sarcastic in that unlimited data is of little value if you can't get high speed 4G in areas outside major markets.

Cheers,

You know I am Panzer06.  Hey, you still using your Verizon account to help your Sprint phone get past the slow data issues?

• 13. Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    Panzer06 Bronze Expert

Yes indeed I do. Verizon 4G is much more readily available and usually faster than Sprint's 4G when it's available.

Sprint 3G is usually too slow when I'm on the road. 

Cheers,

• 14. Re: Sprint's Network Vision vs Verizon's LTE?
    Icee1 Expert

Network Vision mainly consists of network improvements, turning the Nextel Network into Sprint Network so Sprint customer's will be able to use it (swapping out equipment on the towers, etc), switching frequencies, providing better in-building coverae, improving data and voice capacity, and launching 4G LTE. 2011 has been a tough year for Sprint. Currently, Sprint's network consists of 1900mhz for voice and 3G (I'm pretty sure they use 1900 for 3G), and 3.5GHZ for WiMax. After Network Vision is done, Sprint will be operating its voice and 3G service on the 800MHZ frequency, currently the only phones that Sprint has launched that support this is the Epic 4G Touch and the Evo 3D. Operating on the lower frequency will in return provide MUCH better coverage indoors. For example, the same tower operating on 800mhz can cover up to twice as much area as that same tower operating on 1900mhz. So, Sprint's coverage will be much better after Network Vision is complete (sometime in 2012 for some cities, while most cities will receive is sometime in 2013) where towers are currently already set-up. 2013+ will be a gold year(s) for Sprint. Currently they have 3 seperate towers for each of it's frequencies, voice/data, 3G, and Nextel. After network vision is complete, every single one of Sprint's towers will be providing coverage for ALL of the different services. This is why sometimes you can have perfect Voice coverage but little to no 3G/4G service, because currently, they have different towers in different locations for all of their services. Maybe a voice/3G tower only .5 mile away from you but the closest 4G might be 3.5 miles away, after network vision that tower .5 miles away will be supplying coverage for all of the services, excluding WiMax, I am pretty sure Sprint is done exanding it's WiMax 4G in cities. Sprint will be the FIRST carrier to offer this kind of integrated network technology. I hope I have helped, and if I have supplied any false information, someone let me know. Thanks!

Links to more info about Sprint's Network Vision Plan:

http://ecenter.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/157534//session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL0VRN3UqS0xr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_jpIdr_uw

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points