This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2012 2:10 AM by CRIMSONDRAGON93 RSS

Sprint says it's no longer collecting analytics via Carrier IQ

Levi4u Master
Currently Being Moderated

We have weighed customer concerns and we have disabled use of the tool so that diagnostic information and data is no longer being collected.  We are further evaluating options regarding this diagnostic software as well as Sprint’s diagnostic needs.   At Sprint, we work hard to earn the trust of our customers and believe this course of action is in the best interest of our business and customers.

To reiterate, Sprint does not look at the content of customer messages, emails, photos, videos, keystrokes, etc. using the diagnostic tools offered by Carrier IQ.  Customers can trust that we look at only enough information through the Carrier IQ tool reporting aggregated, anonymized metrics, to understand the customer experience with devices and how we can improve our performance and enhance the customer experience.

Further, as we’ve said, Sprint has not used Carrier IQ diagnostics to profile customers, to serve targeted advertising, or for any purpose not specifically related to certifying that a device is able to operate on our network or to otherwise improve the customer experience or our network operations.  We have used Carrier IQ to certify devices prior to launching them on our network and after launch to review device functionality on our network (i.e., to better understand where dropped calls occur, identifying gaps in cell tower coverage, etc.) 

A key element of our privacy practices involves communicating with our customers about our privacy practices. The Sprint privacy policy explains that certain data is collected automatically by Sprint to ensure a high quality of service to our customers, including how a device is functioning when being used with different applications and about our network performance.  The information collected using the Carrier IQ tool is tailored to provide aggregated information relevant to and for the particular purpose of:

• Certification and testing of devices;
  • understanding device performance to  determine when issues are occurring and how to resolve them; and
  • analyzing our network performance and identify where we should be improving service.
  • 1. Sprint says it's no longer collecting analytics via Carrier IQ
    Sprint Employee

Levi4u - Thanks for the post - An example of where CIQ may have benefited Sprint is when you have a device with an unusual number of reports of signal variance versus the previous phone a person had at the same address. Sprint could use the diagnostic/analytical information to create the maintenance release to fix a quirky reception issue. Sprint's use was never to spy or gain personal information. I hope your post is read as much as the conspiracy theory ones.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

• 2. Sprint says it's no longer collecting analytics via Carrier IQ
    sprintftl Regular Visitor

Disabling data collection is not enough. The fact that the software  still remains on my epic 4g makes this the last straw. The bottom line  is that they are using MY hardware as a network diagnostic tool, without  my permission. This horrible piece of software destorys battery life.  Ive used several rooted roms without sprints crapware (i could care less  about samsungs useless warranty as odin is easy to use) and it nearly  doubles the performnance of the device (battery and responsiveness). Not  to mention that my 3g performance is entirely unacceptable, and still  dont have 4g coverage that was promised 18 months ago. Sprint, you suck.

• 3. Sprint says it's no longer collecting analytics via Carrier IQ
    rexcanis Bronze Expert

I have to agree that Sprint disabling its data acquisition servers is a step in the right direction, but not a big enough one. By my understanding, CIQ is still able to get this information even if Sprint isn't collecting it anymore. As sprintftl said, it is also killing battery life on handsets.An update needs to be pushed out to all devices that will let you remove CIQ's software.

• 4. Sprint says it's no longer collecting analytics via Carrier IQ
    rp518dan Regular Visitor

Thanks for letting us know.

I agree that Sprint's service is vastly improved.

As to the topic of earning trust: In response to customer inquires, Sprint's reps, whom I believe to be honest people themselves, read a written statement to us from Sprint's management, that contained factual inaccuracies. It's difficult to believe what you say to us when we know that you are relying on the honesty of a management that has has its employees tell us untrue things in the past.

Furthermore, if CIQ improves service so much, how come people's phones perform so much better after rooting?

• 5. Sprint says it's no longer collecting analytics via Carrier IQ
    CRIMSONDRAGON93 Newbie

What is the source of this information?