This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2012 9:39 AM by tankrios13 RSS

HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?

CLAMIKASMITH Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else having issues charging their phone? It seems like I have this problem with every HTC I buy. Maybe I should switch to iPhone. In the mean time, anyone have any suggestions?

• 1. HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    Mr.Sprintastic Sprint Employee

CLAMIKASMITH,

The HTC EVO has been to known to have issues with the charging port so that might be it.  Best suggestion would be to take to a authorized service and repair center to have them check the charger, battery, and device for issues.

Thanks,

-Ron

• 2. HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    jkiehlmeier Regular Visitor

I have the same issue which started about the same time as your post.  It will charge with another manufactures cord but not the cord from HTC.  I even went to the steps to call HTC and warranty out my cord and plug in.  They have now sent me two sets to which it still does not charge.  Took phone to Sprint tech he said phone was fine that I should just get another cord made by another company.  After told this I contacted HTC and explained what I was told.  HTC said using another companies cord is not good for the phone.  The reason would be other cords use different volts verses what we use.  HTC suggested that my charging port was on the verge of going out but has yet to fully do so.  HTC also suggested for me to go back to Sprint for them to either replace phone or send the phone in for repair to HTC.  HTC can replace the port but Sprint cannot. 

• 3. Re: HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?

Since posting I have found out that the cords that HTC sent me were defective.  I took my phone, and the two cords to Sprint tech yesterday to find out what was the issue.  The tech found out the the replacement cords were defective.  When you plug in the cords to a phone you have to wiggle it before the phone will recognize it has been plugged in the port.  With that said, I contacted HTC again and asked for another cord that works.  Just sending me a bunch of wires wrapped in plastic does not constitute a warrantied replacement.  So im patiently waiting for this new cord to come in.  If it does not work im gonna scream.  ( Fingers are crossed )

• 4. Re: HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    LuisH Newbie

I have the same issue with my phone, but it seems that the car charger i bought from the sprint store, it has no problem at all charging my phone, unfortunately i dont want to lose my car battery or alternator for my phone to charge...im thinking it is the wall charger i got with the phone itself,...i also have a friend who had the same issue and ended up getting a replacement phone from sprint, after waiting about a week with no phone, to receive his new one.

• 5. Re: HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    guthaskids Newbie

I am having this very same issue with mine and it is quite frustrating. My car charger also works well but the home charger is the problem.

• 6. HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    Markie_B Sprint Employee

It would seem that perhaps your USB cable is no longer capable of charging your device. Since these cords are not only used for charging, but for other things as well such as transferring data to/from your computer it can cause additional wear on the cable. This in the long run can cause its functionality as a charger to fail. It would be a good idea to take the charger and the device to the store and have them both tested. While it is not uncommon for the EVO to have charging issues, you would want every avenue investigated. I hope this was helpful.

Markie_B

• 7. HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    Th3Phoenix Silver Expert

Sometime the issue is with the original HTC cable.

Try using anothe cable and see.

• 8. HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    xX1SUPERMANXx Newbie

my phone woulndt charge either but when i put my battery in my wifws phone it chatged pretty quick.  I already had 3 reverbished phones from sprint and if this one acts up too I will fight to get a new 3D phone!!!!!!!!!!!

• 9. HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?

Ok here we go I got the cord in today and plugged it in the phone.  It is giving the indication that it is charging but it is not. I would like to know if anyone out there can remember the problem that the LG Optimus had not to long ago.  They had a update come out and when the update was on the phone it created a problem with the phone charging in the house.  You could take the phone and charge it in the car but not by the house charger.  Now since im reading that alot of people are now having this issue with charging there phones in the house, im starting to wonder if it is a problem with update that was recently put on the phone.  Can we get a tech to verify this please.  Find out if the latest update to the HTC EVO 4G has a issue in the very last update issued.  This is my 4th phone cord of which 2 where defective from the gate that will not charge my phone.  I can use another manufacturers cord and it will charge but not with the HTC cord.  Thanks to all who are helping.

• 10. HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    DONALIEN Silver Expert

We haven't seen the HTC software update causing issues with charging and I don't suspect that the software update is related. There have been a number of reports about an issue affecting a small percentage of HTC Evo devices where the charging port disconnects from the mobo without significant user abuse. It's my understanding this is an all-or-nothing issue, if charger cables from other manufacturers will work, it's not likely the cause. I have seen a few Evo OEM chargers fail. My wife and I both use Evos. This issue has happened to both of our chargers. Both chargers still work, but only if the cord is positioned so that it bends approximately 90° about an inch from where the micro USB plug connects to the reset of the cord. Not really suggesting this as a solution. I just wanted to share my experience with OEM Evo chargers. I hope this helps!

-Donnie

• 11. HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    garciablood Regular Visitor

Sprints repair tecs can only replace pop and snap parts on the phone, anything to due with soldering or any actual work to the board you would have to go to HTC and they can take for ever, on top of that they charge just to look at it.. and if they say you cause the problem you have to on top of that.. unless you have insurance..you f@#$ed buddy

• 12. HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    fireguy_6364 Master

is it the stock factory one that would come with the evo or does it just say HTC on it? reason im asking is my girlfriends phone is also a HTC phone...but a different model. my cable will charge her phone quicker than anything...but her cable used with my phone will only keep it in limbo..or slowly let it drain even though it shows it is charging. the original cable/plug in adapter had a higher output than the other cables and adapter you can get. trying to find another one of those is almost impossible...ive been looking for quite a while now.

• 13. HTC EVO 4G WONT CHARGE ANYMORE! WTH?
    tankrios13 Newbie

i have the same problem and it started about a week ago right after (almost immediately) i did an update i was prompted to do on the phone. ever since this update my phone will not charge or hold a charge on any of my wall chargers and seems to only charge right away and well on my car charger? so i guess it could be a problem w/ the update. this is so frustrating though, the second i move my phone at all or take it off the charger the battery shows red or it shuts off bc its so dead

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points