This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2007 1:27 AM by heywire RSS

Bluetooth Tethering

Currently Being Moderated

I am a new sprint customer and I really love the EVDO speeds!

But my phone is ummm.... Well its kinda boring. Here is my problem maybe you guys can help.

I stopped by the sprint corporate store wednesday because I needed a phone that would tether via bluetooth for data. It seems when I go to a carrier asking about bluetooth tethering I get looked at like I have 5 heads, verizon basically told me to f@#k off even though the krzr could tether for data. I have a N800 internet tablet which I am using on the go to keep in touch with friends and do some light work. Its a really sweet device and Im finding it very valuable in my everyday life. I spent about an hour in the store trying to tether for data with every phone they had. Only 2 phones would work correctly. The Moto krzr (which I heard sucks) and the sanyo scp-8400. I took the 8400 and although it gets the job done its kinda boring as a phone. I would like something with some more features if possible.

Could it be possible that the phones at the store were not provisioned correctly for phone as a modem? Alot of the phones do support the bluetooth DUN profile and should have worked but failed when trying to connect. Also how about the new upstage it has bluetooth 2.0 which could handle faster data transmission but will it work as a bluetooth modem?

BTW: I am not looking to cheat the carrier I am currently signed up for the phone as a modem plan. I am just looking for compatible phones. On other forums people seem to think I am trying to do something shady.

I would love to get a blackberry or windows mobile device but the Moto Q is ****, the treo doesnt support DUN and neither do the blackberries.

I am kinda stuck any advice would be great!

Thanks

James

• 1. Re: Bluetooth Tethering
    Valued Member

unfortunately i can't really answer your questions, but i did want to clarify a couple of things:

1. you mentioned that when you were in the store you couldn't connect through any other handsets - do you mean you couldn't connect to the net or that you couldn't get your n800 to pair with any of the phones?

2. you mentioned that you have PAM on your account - this is something that does have to be provisioned, so the corporate/dummy accounts of the display phones may not have this feature activated, even though your account does...if you were able to pair with a handset, but not connect to the net, this could be the reason why....

unfortunately, as you already know, most carriers cripple this feature of bluetooth, so it could simply be that those are the only two handsets that will work.....my LG LX-550 (fusic) is supposed to have FULL bluetooth connectivity, but i don't have a BT dongle for my laptop so i've never confirmed that it does....

kev

• 2. Re: Bluetooth Tethering
    Expert

yeah..........i would have recommeded Sprint for PAM..............it is expensive but hey thats the price you pay for "real" unlimited data...........yes PAM does have to be provisioned.............i even think that there are changes that take place on the phone that happen OTA..........not sure though.........the only bleotooth item that Sprint cripples is OPP phone-to-phone media transfers like pictures and ringtones..............but OBEX works...............and handsets and PAM it just needs to be updated on the phone

• 3. Re: Bluetooth Tethering

I don't mind paying for the PAM sprint is still $20 cheaper with their PAM plan then verizon :)

I could pair with every phone in the store without a problem its just connecting to the internet that would fail. I don't know if this was due to the phone lacking the DUN profile or just not provisioned correctly. I tried the Fusic and it seemed to almost work but fail just short of connecting. Actually I would get the connected as a modem screen on the phone but it would fail right away.

So what would your suggestions be for finding a phone that will work as a bluetooth PAM modem? I mean I can't just keep switching phones. Is there anyone at sprint who would know enough to answer my questions? Bluetooth tethering is not a normal everyday request and I have a hard time getting my questions answered.

Another funny thing was that the KRZR worked but the RAZR would give me the connected as a modem screen and then fail right away. I think a lot of the phones would have worked if they had been provisioned correctly.

Maybe if I try a corporate sprint store that is closer to Boston where this type of request might be more common.

• 4. Re: Bluetooth Tethering
    Expert

i tried to use my V3m as a modem without the PAM plan and thats what it does.........says connected as modem and then user name and password verification failed or csomething like that

• 5. Re: Bluetooth Tethering
    Valued Member

treasonx wrote:
    I could pair with every phone in the store without a problem its just connecting to the internet that would fail. I don't know if this was due to the phone lacking the DUN profile or just not provisioned correctly. I tried the Fusic and it seemed to almost work but fail just short of connecting. Actually I would get the connected as a modem screen on the phone but it would fail right away.

if that's the case then i'd bet my money that the display phones do not have PAM provisioned on their respective dummy-accounts.....i used to get the same error on my fusic when trying to connect using a wired USB connection - i found out later that it was because my account-type did not allow for PAM and therefore it couldn't be provisioned.....

unfortunately, that leaves you with the same predicament, as display phones probably aren't going to allow you to connect nor will most employees' business units.....

no, you can't just keep trying phones one after another, but i'd recommend choosing whichever phone you like the best, activating it and then try to access the web via PAM...that's the only way you'll know for sure....but, as i said, if you can pair and you're getting the phone as a modem screen before it fails, i'm 99.9% sure that it's a provisioning (or lack thereof) issue

kev

• 6. Re: Bluetooth Tethering

SO i went out and got the upstage this afternoon.. Its pretty cool once you figure out the navigation aspect.

But I am screwed! It will not connect as a modem with my mac or my nokia n800.

It says connected as modem DUN is active but both the mac and the N800 fail to connect to the internet.

Any ideas? I am paying for the PAM plan I don't understand what the problem is.

• 7. Re: Bluetooth Tethering
    Regular Visitor

i have a lg fusic and i also have phone as a modem plan i use the the bluetooth 2.0 to get on the internet it works but for some reason the internet connection is unstable ive beeen told by sprint advanced tech. support that he also uses the blue tooth 2.0 adapter and his works great i just got back from a 82 mile drive to get this problem resolved they gave me new phone lg fusic while it seems to have a better signel strenght it still dont connect and stay connected so not sure wut to tell u

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...