This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2012 8:29 AM by tazz5150 RSS

Discount policy change notice

nas35 Bronze Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Effective your February bill cycle,Family and Business Share monthy plan charges will be billed differently.Discounts will only apply to the monthy recurring charge of the primary line.Line 2 will be billed at the applicable Add-aPhone rate and will not be discount eligible.So what is up with this Sprint and why r u doing this for?

• 1. Discount policy change notice
    SprintTheSlowNetwork Expert

They keep making changes that negatively affect us the customers. And in their little memos it always says oh Verizon and AT&T does it as well make sure you tell the customer that when they call in. The problem I personally have with this is Sprint does not provide the service that Verzion and AT&T does. Sprint's 3G network speed during peak hours is half or less than Verizons in New York City. Yet they don't cost half the price. I would like to know whats up with Sprint also.

• 2. Re: Discount policy change notice
    nas35 Bronze Expert

So what is going on with this discounts only apply to one line effective in Feb and why is this going on?

• 3. Re: Discount policy change notice
    JoJo0401 Sprint Employee

Currently, Sprint has agreed that discounts would apply off of the primary number only. However, due to the way the current billing is set up this actually includes two lines (since the second line on a shared plan is free). We are just adjusting the way the shared plans bill out. For instance, the Everything Data share plan is currently $129.99 for the primary line, the second line is $0 and lines 3-5 are $19.99. The new format makes the primary line cost $110 and lines 2-5 are $19.99 each. This makes sense for how the discounts were intended to be applied, since only the primary line is discountable and also makes more billing sense for when lines on the account shift from being primary to secondary and vice versa.

• 4. Re: Discount policy change notice
    nas35 Bronze Expert

Ok thanks for the information

• 5. Re: Discount policy change notice
    Levi4u Master

JoJo0401, That is incorrect, Discounts WERE applied the the base MRC, The base MRC has always included lines 1-2, And is now being changed to only apply to line 1, In order to do so Sprint is changing the way they are billing line 2 on all shared plans lowering the amount of discount that the customers will then receive.

JoJo0401 wrote:

Currently, Sprint has agreed that discounts would apply off of the primary number only. However, due to the way the current billing is set up this actually includes two lines (since the second line on a shared plan is free). We are just adjusting the way the shared plans bill out. For instance, the Everything Data share plan is currently $129.99 for the primary line, the second line is $0 and lines 3-5 are $19.99. The new format makes the primary line cost $110 and lines 2-5 are $19.99 each. This makes sense for how the discounts were intended to be applied, since only the primary line is discountable and also makes more billing sense for when lines on the account shift from being primary to secondary and vice versa.

• 6. Re: Discount policy change notice
    THESIMONSENS09 Newbie

That makes no sense at all.  The plan is called Everything Data SHARE Plan.  The sharing part is a big indicator that at least ONE more phone is going to be used and as such, the one additional line should be FREE.  So now a 129.99 (with at least 30$ in taxes- crazy!) is now going to be split between two phones at minimum and as such will probably see each phone with separate taxes instead of totaled, and will cost slightly more.  Any time Sprint makes changes, it is the customer who loses out

• 7. Re: Discount policy change notice
    Regular Visitor

Ontop of that Levi4u, some are really getting screwed.  I had the employer discount applied last month.  They made me renew both of my lines for this.  My second line was 16 months into a contract.  Sprint renewed it to another 2 years (without a discounted phone ofcourse).  They also applied a $350 ETF to that second line (would have been about $100).  And then a month later I am told that the line will no longer receive the discount.  Yet my lines are still under a new 2 line contract with a full ETF.  And now no discount.  Shady business practices indeed

Levi4u wrote:

JoJo0401, That is incorrect, Discounts WERE applied the the base MRC, The base MRC has always included lines 1-2, And is now being changed to only apply to line 1, In order to do so Sprint is changing the way they are billing line 2 on all shared plans lowering the amount of discount that the customers will then receive.

JoJo0401 wrote:

• 8. Re: Discount policy change notice
    arTim Expert

JoJo, this makes sense only if you're looking to increase Sprint's bottom line and decrease customer's discounts. By lowering the cost of LIne 1, this results in a lower discount (from $19.50 to $16.50) while removing any discount from Line 2.

I don't debate that this is how the other carriers do it.  It is.  However, it's misleading to make it sound as if nothing changed.  Even if it's only $3/mo, it's one more charge I'm being asked to pay.

• 9. Re: Discount policy change notice
    JoJo0401 Sprint Employee

Sprint shared plans have not always included two lines. Some old legacy plans were broken down into the new format that is being implemented. You are correct as it does cause shared plans with discounts to receive a lower discount amount.

• 10. Re: Discount policy change notice
    JoJo0401 Sprint Employee

Beefcake, although your second line was renewed for 24 months, it did not move the date for your upgrade eligibility. I do see where you are coming from though about your second line being renewed however not getting the discount off the recurring charges for that line. Sending you a private message.

• 11. Re: Discount policy change notice
    JoJo0401 Sprint Employee

I didn't intend to make it seem as if nothing has changed. I was just trying to explain how the discount changes were being applied. You are right, this is how other carriers do it. But in addition, it lowers error possibility and confusion during re-arrangements of line "ranks" (primary to secondary).

• 12. Re: Discount policy change notice
    Levi4u Master

Of all the legacy "Shared" plans I know of they all included lines 1-2 in the base plan and lines 1-2 have always been included in the monthly MRC. It's been that way the 11 years I have been with Sprint and on many different shared plans.

As BeefCake pointed out above, This is going to upset many customers as they were required to agree to renew line 2 in order to get the discount applied. I hope Sprint is prepared for all the backlash they will be receiving over it.

• 13. Re: Discount policy change notice
    JoJo0401 Sprint Employee

Actually there are multiple versions of our old legacy plans (free and clear, fair and flexible, unlimited incoming). Each plan has a respective "code" in the billing system. Some plans even have the same name, like a Fair and Flexible Family 1500 will have multiple billing system "codes". Some of them include the first two lines in the primary plan cost, some do not. The older ones, I believe, did not include the second line free of charge.

• 14. Discount policy change notice
    Regular Visitor

I have the everything data plan with 2 phones. Does this mean I will have to pay a extra 19.95 a month? If this is so I'm going to US Cellular I will be done with Sprint. First they want to charge 10.00 a month extra for a smart phone then they keep charging more each month saying it's more surcharges and now they want me to pay more for my other phone which I been a sprint customer for years. Good thing I'm not under contract!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points