This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2012 11:16 AM by EMPfuture RSS

Improving 3G & 4GLTE?

Techie4Lyfe89 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone believe Sprint on this improving 3G and making it more advanced. It's been months since I have gotten a good 3G data speeds. What does everyone think how this LTE network is going to do verse VZW and AT&T?

I'm thinking once the Nexus roll out, and I see what that can do, that willl be my decision to keep or leave Sprint. These data speeds are horrible! My 4G coverage sucks as well, and when I get it, it's so slow! My 4G is in spots...I move to one area I have 4G, but move to another it's disconnected.

• 1. Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    Regular Visitor

I agree with you.  My 3G is horrible.  It has been that way for a very long time.  I use to think it was my old phone.  I upgraded to a new phone and I still have the same slow speeds.

As for LTE.  I think eventually we will get it.  I dont believe it will be up and running for another couple of years.  And when it does, I have to again buy a new phone to utilize it anyways.  How will it stack up against the other carriers?  Probably not be so good.  Sprint will be spending the next 2 years trying to set up their LTE.  The other carriers already have it in place.  So they will be spending the next couple of years improving and expanding their LTE coverage.  Sprint has always been behind when compared to the other carriers.

In the mean time, Sprint needs to do something about their 3G.  They need to stop letting Virgin, Boost, and Cricket use their towers.  These customers are using up your 3G bandwidth and are paying a third of the price that a Sprint customer is. 

• 2. Re: Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee
  • 3. Improving 3G & 4GLTE?

This is very true. Sprint also needs to invest in more towers as well for 3G, cause a lot people still use 3G as the main source, since Wimax isn't nationwide. I think if they had more towers like VZW, Sprint wouldn't be near the bottom of the Carrier Chain.

• 4. Improving 3G & 4GLTE?

I found this very interesting as well.

A Guy is testing LTE for Sprint in Texas

http://goo.gl/G5a3U

Also a 3G enhancement for Sprint, advanced network project (Testing) in Texas as well

http://goo.gl/FbDoj

• 5. Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    Regular Visitor

I believe it was proven that guy was false.  He posted on this site about the LTE speeds he was getting in San Antonio.  it was never acknowledged by Sprint and there is a pretty good thread about it on the sprintusers.com forum.  Other people did something similiar making it look like they were getting those speeds as well (not sure the details).

But i will even give it the benefit of the doubt.  Lets say Spint contracted him to do what ever it is he's doing.  Lets say that is Sprints LTE in San Antonio Tx.  He would basically be on that network all by himself.  We all complain about 3G speeds.  But what kind of 3G speeds do you think you will be getting if you were the only one using that tower?  San Antonio has over 1.3 million people.  I want to see what kind of speeds the phone receives when the LTE is up and the towers are saturated.  That will give you your true LTE speeds.

• 6. Re: Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    Moonoverparma Regular Visitor

Believe it or not but Sprint's 3G in the 44141 zip code has gotten better! Not sure if its tower upgrade or my complaining but its better. Thank you Sprint.

• 7. Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    Icee1 Expert

Sprint (when adding in Nextel towers) actually have about the same amount of towers as Verizon and AT&T. The difference, frequencies. Sprint currently uses 1900mhz ENTIRELY for Voice and 3G, while Verizon mainly uses 850mhz. The lower the mhz the farther and better building penetration. After Sprint Network Vision, Sprint will be using both 1900 and 800 frequencies for Voice and 3G (although your phone must support the 800mhz frequency to take advantage of it), but never the less, Network Vision will dramatically increase the network, even if you don't have a 800mhz fequency supported device. For example- A tower operating on 850mhz can send a signal up to 2X farther than a tower of the same height, etc operating on 1900mhz. I found a article in the News column of the Sprint site, and it showed a map of current coverage in NYC and what it will be like after Network Vision, pretty dramatic. Sprint will also be converting some of those Nextel towers over to Sprint towers. So if your work, home, etc is close to a current Nextel tower but not a current Sprint tower, by the end of Network Vision you may have perfect signal.

• 8. Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    Regular Visitor

Are the LTE phones going to run off multiple towers at the same time?

Can a tower running 800 frequencies handle more customers data needs than a tower running 1900 frequencies?

The problem with the current 3G is SPrints backhaul and tower saturation.  There is just plain and simply to many people on the towers.  This includes the average user, the data hog, the Virgin customer, the Boost customer, the Cricket Roaming customer.

I understand what your saying data speed wise.  I am just not understanding how the Network Vision helps anything.  If you have sold out your network, than that is the problem.  How does adding another frequency help?  I understand how it will give you faster speeds in theory.  But if you have 1000 people on your local tower now, giving you below advertised speeds.  How will the upgraded LTE tower with a 1000 people on it give me faster speeds?

Icee1 wrote:

Sprint (when adding in Nextel towers) actually have about the same amount of towers as Verizon and AT&T. The difference, frequencies. Sprint currently uses 1900mhz ENTIRELY for Voice and 3G, while Verizon mainly uses 850mhz. The lower the mhz the farther and better building penetration. After Sprint Network Vision, Sprint will be using both 1900 and 800 frequencies for Voice and 3G (although your phone must support the 800mhz frequency to take advantage of it), but never the less, Network Vision will dramatically increase the network, even if you don't have a 800mhz fequency supported device. For example- A tower operating on 850mhz can send a signal up to 2X farther than a tower of the same height, etc operating on 1900mhz. I found a article in the News column of the Sprint site, and it showed a map of current coverage in NYC and what it will be like after Network Vision, pretty dramatic. Sprint will also be converting some of those Nextel towers over to Sprint towers. So if your work, home, etc is close to a current Nextel tower but not a current Sprint tower, by the end of Network Vision you may have perfect signal.

• 9. Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    Regular Visitor

I have seen a number customers saying the speeds have gotten better for them.  This is good for those few.  But I will not be moving to 44141 anytime soon.  All I care about is my area.  And at 78244 there have been a number of upgrades already.  None scheduled anytime soon.  I dont think its right I have to pay the same amount as you while the speeds have gotten better in your area but not mine.  My phone is still useless.  I pay as much as other customers who are getting advertised speeds.  So where do we go from here?

Moonoverparma wrote:

Believe it or not but Sprint's 3G in the 44141 zip code has gotten better! Not sure if its tower upgrade or my complaining but its better. Thank you Sprint.

• 10. Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    Icee1 Expert

Network Vision will help because most, if not all, of these upgrades include capacity upgrades. I'm not sure if they will be able to use multiple towers at once, but they will, I believe, be able to decide what frequency to use to provide the best signal. If you go to network.sprint.com, any towers getting a  "data capacity upgrade" will allow more users on one tower. Network Vision will also help because once the towers are operating on 800Mhz, these towers signals will be broadcasting up to 2X as far as before, allowing people's phones to have more signals to choose from, thus distributing the heavy load of users on more towers. The higher the frequency the shorter the distance but the better the call quality and tend to "bend" better around tall buildings, etc. While lower frequencies tend to be able to go in a straight path over a longer distance than higher frequencies. Think of a wireless home phone, these 6.0ghz DECT phones tend not to get as good a signal through multiple walls or outside your home, but offer the best sound quality, while a 900mhz phone will offer much farther signal through walls and outside, but the call quality won't be as good as the 6.0 DECT. Of course the strength of each individuals phone antanne can also make a huge difference. I hope I have helped!

• 11. Re: Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    dpdtanderson Regular Visitor

I would like to clear this up on behalf of all the Sprint customers out there.  The website "http://network.sprint.com" is showing upgrades to their LEGACY (old 3G) network.  These upgrades include extra T1 backhaul, an additional Ev-DO carrier, and upgrades for voice (not sure about what constitutes a voice upgrade).  This site does NOT show Network Vision upgrades.  Network Vision will replace this outdated legacy network with new brand new, top-of-the-line equipment such as base stations, new switch units, and RRU's/antennaes that will also increase coverage.  Sprint is rolling out these updates quietly as they do not want to confuse the customer with multiple, complicated technologies.  Unfortunately, I think this creates a false sense of information because many people seem to believe the network.sprint.com site shows NV updates. It does not.  When these updates roll out I assure you that you will receive much improved 3G speeds.  I get 2+ down on a tower in Atlanta which is one of the first cities to receive NV.  My best advice to pursue information on NV is to follow press releases from newsroom.sprint.com and to inquire when LTE is coming to your area.  The beauty of NV is that LTE is rolled out relatiely the same time that 3G is.  Finally, I am not discounting the network.sprint.com updates.  I have experienced luck with some of their upgrades; however, some legacy switches are at such a capacity that these upgrades won't help.  Hopefully this clears up any confusion on the so-called "upgrades."  Network Vision is where you will really reap the benefits of Sprint's network.

• 12. Re: Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    dpdtanderson Regular Visitor

With regards to frequency, 800 MHz can handle fewer users on a slice of spectrum than can 1900.  However, during the first phase of Network Vision, Sprint is rolling out what is called 1x Advanced in their ESMR band (850 MHz).  1x Advanced can handle 4x the amount of users that 1x does.  So we will actually see an increase in the capacity per channel with this 1xA technology.  That being said, your phone must be capable of utilizing this spectrum by having a multimodal radio.  The newer phones such as the EVO 3D have this chip. 

Also, Verizon actually uses a combination of 850 and 1900 in most places.  The 1900 is used for EvDO rev. A (same as Sprint) in their urban markets.  This is roughly the same setup that sprint uses.  However, most phones only report the 1x (voice and text) strength on VZ's 850, so coverage appears far better.  When NV is finished, we will be able to use 850 for voice and text giving us better in-building and flora penetration as well as increased distance from tower.  EvDO is set up so that even if you are using a 2 bar signal, it is about the same speed as a 5 bar signal (theoretically).  This is because EvDO bandwidth does not decrease over signal degradation.  Finally, in the second stage of NV (after decomissioning of iDEN network), Sprint will roll out an LTE carrier on the now vacant 850 MHz from Nextel.  This will give you wonderful data speeds in buidling that VZ customers enjoy with 700MHz.  Hopefully this has helped!

• 13. Re: Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    Moonoverparma Regular Visitor

Which phones have multimodal radios?

• 14. Re: Improving 3G & 4GLTE?
    seeblue1 Bronze Expert

Although it may not be important, nevertheless one should note that Sprint's new devices (as announced so far) will not support LTE other than on the 1900 Mhz band (no 800 or 2400 Mhz).  Although the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 chipset will support other LTE channels, I don't know if it is software configurable (assume it is) later or factory burned in.

The so-called multimode radio referred in a previous comment above, concerns improvements in voice and 3G data (addressing bandwidth, speed and reception issues) AFAIK.

Any phone with a Qualcomm S3 (usually an MSM 8660 chipset) or S4 chipset (Evo LTE, Nexus LTE) has multimode CDMA capability. Capability vs. implementation, that's often an issue!

Gleaned off the web....

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...