This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2012 9:29 PM by RDSPRAT11 RSS

Unlocking my HTC Evo Shift 4G

ww1977 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have had this phone for 10 months, and am terminating my Sprint contract in February.  We are paying the ETF in full, and will be going with a cheaper, pay as you go plan.  But, I love my phone and would like to know if it is possible to have my phone unlocked once I have satisfied the ETF?

• 1. Unlocking my HTC Evo Shift 4G
    lilgeekygirl Bronze Expert

WW1977, Im sorry to hear that you plan to leave Sprint. Regarding your question about unlocking the device, sprint device will not work on any other carriers network.

• 2. Unlocking my HTC Evo Shift 4G
    ww1977 Newbie

Thank you for responding.  I am disappointed to leave Sprint as well, but I do not fully understand your answer.  When you say that it will not work on another carrier's network, does that mean that it was manufactured specifically to work for Sprint and is therefore incompatible with all other networks; or that it will not work on another network because Sprint will not unlock it?  

• 3. Unlocking my HTC Evo Shift 4G
    lilgeekygirl Bronze Expert

It was manufactured to work specifially on the sprint network and is not compatible with another network. May I ask what is causing you to leave Sprint?

• 4. Unlocking my HTC Evo Shift 4G
    Regular Visitor

Overall the Sprint phones only work on the Sprint network.  You could always sell your phones after you leave.  A friend of mine sold his 2 phones for almost $700 bucks on craigslist although one was an iphone 4S.

Depending on the carrier you are going to you might be able to get your phone "flashed".  This allows the phone to work on their network but I believes doesnt allow you to get data service.  I guess talk with the smaller pre-paid carrier you plan on going with and see if its possible.

Im right behind you though.  I think once my contract expires we are going to a smaller prepaid company.  Maybe Virgin (I know still Sprint), Boost, Cricket, Pocket, etc.  There are a bunch of them out there.  But these big carriers cant seem to live up to their contract anymore.  And then they make changes throughout that contract as they please.  It seems smarter just to go to a pre-paid so that way you can leave whenever you please without paying a $350ETF.

• 5. Unlocking my HTC Evo Shift 4G
    ww1977 Newbie

Thank you for clarifying, and although I am disappointed, I understand.  In response to your question, I honestly just can't afford it anymore.  Our family situation has drastically changed since we started our contract, and as nice as it is having all the bells and whistles of a smart phone, it does not make my life better or put food on our table; therefore, when prioritizing things, this one is pretty far down on the list.  I am not angry with Sprint, I am just re-adjusting for our current situation.  If our situation changes, who knows, I may be back.  Thank you.

• 6. Re: Unlocking my HTC Evo Shift 4G
    Syriel Regular Visitor
    ww1977 wrote:

I have had this phone for 10 months, and am terminating my Sprint contract in February.  We are paying the ETF in full, and will be going with a cheaper, pay as you go plan.  But, I love my phone and would like to know if it is possible to have my phone unlocked once I have satisfied the ETF?

@ww1977 What you need to get from Sprint is your MSL code. This gives you access to reprogram the phone's settings for another carrier.

lilgeekygirl wrote:

WW1977, Im sorry to hear that you plan to leave Sprint. Regarding your question about unlocking the device, sprint device will not work on any other carriers network.

@lilgeekygirl This statement is, sadly, flat out false.

There is nothing inherently "special" about Sprint branded hardware that makes it incompatible with another carrier's network. Sprint devices use the CDMA standard and will work on another carrier's CDMA network so long as that carrier is willing to add the phone's unique ESN number to its subscriber network.

Large carriers like Sprint and Verizon refuse to add ESN numbers to their network as a matter of practice. This is why you can't activate a Verizon phone on Sprint or a Sprint phone on Verizon. Both companies simply lock out the ESN numbers of phones that are not corporate branded.

Smaller, regional CDMA carriers such as MetroPCS and Cricket allow consumers to bring their own device because they will add the ESN number to their system when you sign up for service. These companies use the same type of network as Sprint and Verizon so you can port your hardware over without issue.

• 7. Unlocking my HTC Evo Shift 4G
    RDSPRAT11 Newbie

I agree with Geekygirl, the fone will work with another carrier!  The larger companies are all about the dollars, they want you to have to buy their phone with their name on it!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points