This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 12 Previous Next 180 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2012 1:14 PM by dshoem01 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    epicfail Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

I agree, regardless of who is at fault Sprint has the obligation to make things right for their customers, they are who we pay for service and it is their name, reputation, and service at stake. Their tech support should have tested this software update themselves before it was released or at the very least should now be putting significant pressure on Samsung to get this issue resolved immediately. I am extremely dissatisfied with Sprint's handling of this issue and if this is not corrected very soon I will definitely be searching for another cell phone carrier.

• 16. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    kw1456 Newbie

I am also not receiving any phone calls after I updated my phone on 01/23/12. next time I know to check the blog before i do any updates. I get a error " the process com.android phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please Try again." and the phone is ringing funny. The phone continues to vibrate after I hang up like it is still ringing. until I clear the error. then  it goes in and out of network. I have children and while at work this is the only what to get in contact with them this needs to be fix immediately. I think with everyone paying 10$ a month to have a 4 g phone we should have some better testing of updates before they are release. someone in quality should get fired.....

• 17. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    JMILLER474747 Regular Visitor

I got the update this morning.  I tried calling from my workline twice and so far I was able to answer both of those.  I'll be interested as the day goes on.  Seeing as how I thought I had no issues with EI22 only to continually uncover all of the same problems as everyone else as I went I don't have much faith.  I really like how this update was supposed to delete Asphalt and Quick yet the icons are still there just making a nice clutter which annoys me to no end.  I'll be going to sprint and best buy later to see about replacing my phone (my protection plan is through BB way better than Sprint's.) 

I was hoping to have this epic working nicely without rooting etc. so I could give it to my dad and get a new phone myself.  Him being new to android I really don't want to give him a modded phone since to avoid bugginess you have to tweak it here and there.  Unfortunately it seems the epic is not a phone that actually works without being tinkered with, which is quite sad.  It's kind of a disgrace to android when the phones don't even work right out of the box.

• 18. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    TDM2781 Newbie

Same issue for me...force close with every incoming call. Very frustrating and I don't want to have to do a factory reset to correct this issue!

• 19. Re: Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    ChitownDave Regular Visitor

First, I will try to restrain my frustration here.  I get  unbelievably frustrated when stuff like this happens...and then everyone  plays the victim game.  "Android pushed out an update" is not a valid excuse.  Nor is "Samsung is to blame."  In the end, time and time again it appears  Sprint has no quality control.  And to that matter, I am considering  legal action because I am losing real money with every missed phone  call.

Yes, I have the same problem.  I cannot answer incoming calls as of the update (yesterday).  I get the following message: "The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again."  If you let it ring long enough, you get another error message about TwLauncher...and the phone rings indefinitely.

The first thing I did, like all of us, was a little research.  I  found two very active threads on this topic, and the "viewership" to  both is growing by the minute.  In fact, I called Sprint an hour ago,  and there are already 44 more views (1442 as of this moment).

Anyway, my first contact was with your typical overseas CSR who  followed standard protocol...and ultimately forwarded me to tech support  after 10 minutes (no comment).  From that point, I was on the phone for  63 minutes with a very nice Tech Support rep.  She acknowledged there  was an issue and that they're working on it.  We tried a soft reset  using my MSL code.  That did NOT work.  She then reset some stuff  related to my account that was ultimately sent back to my phone after  the next reboot.  That did NOT work.  She then researched if there was  an option to revert to the previous OS.  There is NOT an option to  revert.

In case you’re wondering, ##72786# (plus code) will get you the soft reboot which will NOT erase your apps or data.   She researched a ton of things (thank you again!), but to no avail.  In  the end she said I'd have to perform a hard reset:  ##786# (plus  code).  NOTE:  If you do a hard reset, back up your contacts onto your SD card!

Based on the information in this thread, a full hard reset WILL  work, but you'll lose everything (not really a valid option for me).

Anyway, she assured me that people are working to fix it and  there should be a solution pushed out shortly.  She also said that she  will update THIS THREAD as she learns more.  Her user ID is  "hello2robot" so keep your eyes out.

In the meantime...[at a loss for words actually].  It goes without saying that this in inexcusable.

• 20. Re: Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

At this time no software update is planned as they are still investigating the few reports that we have received in which customers report that phone or dialer processes are force closing. I have spoken to several people who have had no problems with the update. As with any update it is always advisable to backup your data incase the update has undesired results. What information is stored in your phone which you cannot backup making an RTN reset unfeasible?

• 21. Re: Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

BTW, now it's up to 1467 views...so that's an increase of 25 views since I started typing the message above.

• 22. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    Regular Visitor

Having the SAME issue... Will NOT do a factory reset... did that with the gingerbread update... it was tedious & time comsuming... Lost all my games, had to download them all over again only to find out they lost all my progress in the games... BULLS**T! I agree with what is being said... 1.) Don't release it if you haven't gotten the kinks out first... 2.) A phones basic functions SHOULD work: make calls and receive calls! 3.) Checking forums before updating my cell EVER again... 4.) May never update again... my phone was working fine (ALL features) before the update... I hope they fix this soon.... giving them till mid February... It's gonna suck but after that last factory reset... it might be easier to just call people back when I hear them calling rather then going through the factory reset again... luckily the important people all had different ring tones so I at least know who is callling... noticed in my CALL LOGS that it doesn't even register missed or the last calls!  The factory reset is the worst... you expect me to download games and pay for additional stufff.... I am NOT paying twice and it makes me want to just keep the phone as plain as possible next time if I have to get a factory reset... why bother downloading games and apps if they are just gonna go away with the next "update"  where I would have to factory reset aways..... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! So F***KING FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 23. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    Regular Visitor

I AM HAVING ISSUES TOO! PLEASE ADD ME TO THE LIST OF "A FEW" PEOPLE WITH THIS PROBLEM

• 24. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    coasterphotos Bronze Expert

It sucks to have issues, but long gone are the days of being able to test software releases 100%. It is nearly impossible to test every possible combination of settings and installed software. This goes for pretty much any device, not just phones.

If the problem was happening to every single person that got the update, then that could be blamed on lack of testing. But the fact is it isn't happening to everyone...so whatever is causing is most likely due to a setting or installed apps on the phones that are having issues...which can more or less be confirmed by the fact that a factory reset fixes the issue.

• 25. Re: Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

In time I'm sure we'll get an update.  It's been less than another hour, and already there are 1598 views (from 1442).  (And for the record, it's not like I'm hitting refresh...duh.)

• 26. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    RC1024 Sprint Employee

Hello, problems related to update EL30 are being investigated, there is not really a list that your phone number can be added to as this matter is already being tended to. We do appreciate your coming to the community to post.

• 27. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    Mucinex Newbie

Sprint better make some calls asap.  There's alot of customers using this phone and for a phone to not do a simple thing like answer a phone call is beyond my comprehension.  Why would you allow an update to go through YOUR NETWORK if such a bug exists?  I'm not saying that this was intentional or some gross oversight, but the blame lies with the company that my hard earned money goes to.  There should be a dedicated team of representatives monitoring this thread.  As for doing a hard reset, why would I do such a thing if it isn't a 100% guarantee that it will work?  We have people that have posted in this thread that have done the reset and still have the same issue as before.  Piece of advice, keep updating this thread as that is the least bit of customer service you owe your customers.

• 28. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    coasterphotos Bronze Expert

Mucinex wrote:

As for doing a hard reset, why would I do such a thing if it isn't a 100% guarantee that it will work? 

Because you would at least have the chance of having a working phone. The alternative is to wait...and wait...and wait...most likely weeks if not longer. They have to figure out what the problem is first and since it is NOT happening to everyone, it probably will take a while to find.

• 29. Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Hello and thank you for the tip.  As already stated by RC1024, this issue is currently being "investigated" by device teams.   It has NOT, however, been upgraded to a "known issue."  This means that as we monitor this issue, and perform various tests, we have been unable to duplicate the problem.  For those experiencing this issue, and are willing to perform a reset, please post your results. 

Tom 

1 2 3 4 12 Previous Next