This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2012 6:42 PM by Uchiha_Sasuke RSS

Add line to existing family plan - have phone already

JHBORICUA Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Can I add a line to my family plan, bringing my own phone and thus avoiding the new line having a 2 year contract?

• 1. Add line to existing family plan - have phone already
    14KNIGHT Master

You can add a line  using your own phone  no problem.   You will still incur an initial 2 year contract

• 2. Add line to existing family plan - have phone already

What's Sprint rationale here? They are not subsidizing the cost of the phone so why are they imposing a 2 year contract other than because they can?

• 3. Add line to existing family plan - have phone already
    Markie_B Sprint Employee

JHBORICUA,

Thank you for your response. After during further research, it is noted that the 2 yr contract would be imposed because of price plan terms in your case and not equipment terms. The only plan that you could add that does not incorporate a two year agreement is a month to month plan.

Markie_B

• 4. Add line to existing family plan - have phone already

Markie,

What exactly does 'because of price plan terms' mean? Can you elaborate? I'ts not going into a new plan, its going into an existing one. My pricing won't change except for the $20 additional line fee already stipulated in my family plan. Other that this, my family plan pricing and minutes allowance remains the same. It seems like a very heavy-handed practice to impose a 2yr. contract. And how does the ETF will play on this? Since Sprint is not subsidizing the device, will the new line be subject to a $350 ETF? if so, how come? That has always been associate with recouping the cost of the device subsidy. From your own Early Termination Fee page:

"If you've entered into a one- or two-year contract and choose to terminate or cancel your service before your contract ends, you will be charged an early termination fee of up to up to $350/line for Advanced Devices & up to $200/line for all other devices."

There's a clear relationship between the ETF and the devices. So how does Sprint justify imposing a ETF on a device when it didn't cost them anything since the customer already had paid it in full?

• 5. Re: Add line to existing family plan - have phone already
    discongruousbob Newbie

I would like to see Markie_B/sprint's reply to JHBORICUA's statement above, as I had the same question.  Seems like the proverbial cat has their tongue on this one.

• 6. Re: Add line to existing family plan - have phone already
    Uchiha_Sasuke Expert

the contract is for activating a new line.

• 7. Re: Add line to existing family plan - have phone already
    Levi4u Master

This is the only plan you could activate your own phone on and not be tied to a contract agreement. You cannot activate a smartphone on it, Only a feature phone.

Plan specifics:

• Anytime Minutes: 200
    • Monthly Rate with Nights starting at 9PM: $39.99
    • Overage: $0.45 per minute
    • Mobile to Mobile Minutes: Available for $5 a month
    • No service agreement required
    • Customer is not eligible for a phone rebate. Customer must pay full-suggested-retail price
    • Activation fees apply

Services included:

• Long Distance (must be on the Sprint network to be included in plan)
    • Call Waiting
    • Voice Mail
    • Caller ID
    • 3-Way Calling
    • Numeric Paging
    • Call Forwarding (busy/ring no answer)
    • Unconditional Call Forwarding (immediate) at $0.20/minute
    • Unlimited Nights and Weekends calling starts at 9PM

Available add-ons (cost per month):

• $5 Mobile-to-Mobile
    • $5 America Roaming
    • $5 7PM Nights and Weekends
    • $10 6PM Nights and Weekends
    • $5 Nextel Direct Connect: Unlimited

Services not included:

• Mobile-to-Mobile and Roaming are not included in this plan
    • 50 add-on (Overage Protection) minutes are not available on the Month-to-Month Plan
    • Casual use of Nextel Direct is not available - must  have add-on to provision service
    • No MRC discounts available

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...